Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:25 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I like the yellow brick. I'd like to see them save and reuse some of it in some way.
Good point! Surely that is doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,283 times
BTW, here is the link to the university's master plan update that has the footprint for the linear greenspace that will pass over what is now Kell: http://facilities.gsu.edu/files/2013...n-7-9-2013.pdf

Old 10-15-2013, 06:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Seems like GSU Is interested in going north and east of the existing campus, not south into South Downtown.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Seems like GSU Is interested in going north and east of the existing campus, not south into South Downtown.
That is what makes most sense as it is contiguous with the current footprint. Directly south of the campus is the state government complex, they won't be going there....

Old 10-16-2013, 04:54 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
I would fight for most historic buildings, but I will not fight for Kell Hall. It only has two very old elevators and despite all of the ramps, it is not ADA compliant (the ramps are far too steep for wheelchairs). Until the completion of the Petit Science Center, it was full of very bad lab space. The prospects for renovation in any serious way were slim because of how it was constructed. It is going to cost about twice the normal price per square foot just to demolish. Serious renovation would be even more expensive. I guess they built parking garages well back in the day.

And Kell has actually been on the chopping block for a long time (maybe as many as 15 years or so). The question was what would replace it. Initially the talk was for a new classroom building (the Board of Regents actually approved that). But as GSU has acquired more existing downtown buildings and land, the need for a classroom building on that site has become less important. With more students, and especially more students living downtown, the need for open space has become a priority. Especially around the library plaza. Come to that area of campus at noon on a weekday and evaluate the safety of that many people in that enclosed a space for yourself. It isn't just Kell coming down. Library plaza will be dropped to ground level and there will be an open linear greenspace from Kell, past the library, under Courtland, between the Student Center and the Urban Life Building (with the bookstore building and the law school conference center coming down as well), right up to the new science complex. That will provide a much safer egress for students across that side of campus, than the current masses that cross the main streets wherever they want.

So as much as I bemoan Atlanta's disregard for history (I moved here from New Orleans), Kell is not worth saving.

But just for fun, here is a photo of Kell when it was still a parking garage!
I have to agree. No real architectural distinction there, and Lord knows that GSU needs the greenspace.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I have to agree. No real architectural distinction there, and Lord knows that GSU needs the greenspace.
With that many students in a small footprint like that, any green would be trampled down.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
With that many students in a small footprint like that, any green would be trampled down.
I think the idea is to "open up" the plaza area which will reduce the density of students in that space. IMO it's a good think given the crowding problems the space has had for the past 10-15 years.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Kell hall is outdated, inefficient and uninviting from the street. It's a frumpy converted parking lot, not an architectural treasure.
Let some architects have at it for restoration.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I think the idea is to "open up" the plaza area which will reduce the density of students in that space. IMO it's a good think given the crowding problems the space has had for the past 10-15 years.
That'll be reduced when law and business move to their new locations.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Let some architects have at it for restoration.
Let it go. Your idea has been rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: