Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
How? B4 I even started working each day I looked for a job for 3 hours out of my 8 hour day. I love using work hours to look for another job lol. After several months of doing this I got a job. What I dark period in my life. I was ready to leave the city I was in and I turned very moody until I finally got that job

Were you in another state? Than moved to Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:58 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Were you in another state? Than moved to Atlanta?
I'm from Ga. I moved to DC from Atlanta for a job opportunity and school. My career field is mostly in DC. Once I was done with school I was ready to move back

Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
You guys make it sound easy as 1-2-3.....but for some of us that have skills that don't set up aside from the general population, it's hard..Currently in a city which Im trying to relocate from and Im having the hardest time due to being an out-of-state candidate. Very frustrating...By the way Rocco...great thread.
I was out of state, and it was not exactly easy. I registered at every online employment site I could find and even went to Barnes & Noble to look through the AJC without paying for it. I applied for an ishload of jobs. For those companies that contacted me, I scheduled all the interviews for one day - a Monday at that, called in sick (as I said earlier), drove over here. got one, and relocated.

I definitely don't think it is a good idea to move here without a job or financial means of some sort.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I'm from Ga. I moved to DC from Atlanta for a job opportunity and school. My career field is mostly in DC. Once I was done with school I was ready to move back

Ahh.....got it.

Thanks, again.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Ahh.....got it.

Thanks, again.
No problem!

Old 10-10-2013, 01:57 AM

118 posts, read 199,122 times
Was doing software development in the DC area. Friend called from ATL offering to recommend me to a few positions. I said go ahead. Landed interview with UPS as a developer in Alpharetta, GA. Got passed up on the first role, had a second interview and landed that one.

Tech seems to be thriving in this area, atleast IMHO.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:14 AM

143 posts, read 242,303 times
I am in a niche field and that's why it was easy for me to find a job.

I interviewed on a Wednesday and was offered the job on a Friday. The job wasn't my ideal job, but it got me in the state (Augusta, GA - I moved to Augusta 2 weeks after the offer). From there, I interviewed with a company in Atlanta that did have my ideal job (Nuclear Quality Assurance). Because the field is SO small and I had experience with it, I got the job on the spot. One month after moving to Augusta, I relocated to Atlanta - I basically screwed the first company, which is unfortunate and I've burned that bridge (they paid for relocation and I got a good sized signing bonus without any strings and they only got one month out of me)...but it's been great since. I'm glad I got the gumption to make the move. It was the best move of my life.

Good luck on your job search.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Yeah, i think this is thread isnt really telling the whole story. I would imagine those at a mid level or higher situation in their career would do just fine applying in most cities.

I think the biggest problem we are having now is what do the folks just graduating from college do? Those entry level jobs are nearly impossible to find. After a ton of time job hunting, then moving halfway across the country, I took an entry level job in a career field i thought i would like. Two years into it, I was at the most miserable point in my life and I quit. Now I am doing something I really like to do back in the A, but I got this job because I had known them for a long time. But I had to start over and Im only one year into this. UGGGGHHH. And I think I am quite fortunate compared to most.

The entry to early-mid level jobs, at least when I was looking a few years ago, don't exist in Atlanta. Unless you are into doing outside sales...

Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post

I interviewed on a Wednesday and was offered the job on a Friday. The job wasn't my ideal job, but it got me in the state (Augusta, GA - I moved to Augusta 2 weeks after the offer). From there, I interviewed with a company in Atlanta that did have my ideal job (Nuclear Quality Assurance). Because the field is SO small and I had experience with it, I got the job on the spot. One month after moving to Augusta, I relocated to Atlanta - I basically screwed the first company, which is unfortunate and I've burned that bridge (they paid for relocation and I got a good sized signing bonus without any strings and they only got one month out of me)...but it's been great since. I'm glad I got the gumption to make the move. It was the best move of my life.

Lol funny story

Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post

I'm surprised that Augusta employer didn't try to make you pay back all the perks and bonuses; they could have you know.

Also, I'm curious if you will include that one-month stint on your resume in the future, and how you'll explain it to future potential employers? That could come back to bite you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta