Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:17 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,619,688 times

Advertisements

ALEX must go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,359,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
ALEX must go
As he is nothing more than a very pretentious queen. I am gay too, so I definitely know the type.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:57 PM

23,355 posts, read 43,822,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
No, I don't think we really are talking about two different things. But I suppose we can always find some difference between two points of discussion, and say we are comparing apples to oranges. Here, I'm simply talking about two areas that in their histories have a commonality - some where along the line they were pretty seedy and pretty dilapidated. A concerned group of folks tried to make the areas better for all of Atlanta.

Now, we can say the gubmint tried on Cheshire and non-gubmint folks did in Midtown. But, that is really a distinction without a difference.

Not trying to argue with you guys here, but, that happens to be the way I see it.
To me, the difference is enormous.
Private enterprise cannot hold a gun to your head when stating their desires.
Ultimately, government can.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,815,094 times
This may not be as important to others since I live 3 blocks away, but I have sent messages to some of the candidates to get a response on where they stand on the 800 Glenwood development. I will share their responses here:

Andre Dickens:
Quote:
I would have sided with the NPUs and neighborhoods. My background in my NPU and neighborhood lends to my decision to take their recommendations seriously. I also would respect the beltline overlay.

Lamar Willis didn't vote. His campaign is funded by the developer Fuqua.

Sorry for short answer. Im in a class. I hope this helps.
Aaron Watson (Note that this was sent just before the zoning meeting in September):
Quote:
Thank you for contacting me about 800 Glenwood.

Last week, I met with the presidents of the Grant Park Neighborhood Association (GPNA) and South Atlantans for Neighborhood Development (SAND).

During the hourlong discussion, the principle theme was clear -- the community wants a mixed use development. As the developer's plans are currently presented, the project is commercial in nature, in line with what zoning allows.

As the plans are currently presented and as a big supporter of the Atlanta BeltLine, my interests and that of the neighborhood are closely aligned.

It is my preference that the property in question be rezoned as MRC-3-C with residential and commercial conditions, which is in line with the BeltLine overlay. I have preliminarily discussed this with the Department of Planning. If the parties cannot come to a compromise, I intend to support the neighborhood's request at tomorrow's meeting.

Yours in service,

Aaron

Aaron Watson
Atlanta City Council, Post 2 At-Large
Mary Norwood:

Quote:
I am a strong supporter of appropriate development, and certainly the fiasco at Glenwood is NOT that! I was a strong opponent of the “Mason Towers at Piedmont Park.” If re-elected, one of my first tasks will be to get the zoning in place so that another application like the Glenwood big box can’ happen. Please call me if you’d like to discuss. I have a 20+ year track record as an advocate for neighborhood preservation and appropriate infill and redevelopment. Mary
Felicia Moore (Sent before September vote):

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your position with me regarding the proposed rezoning. I will keep your comments in mind as we deliberate on the issue. While, I have not made a decision on how I will vote, I do support the Beltline overlay. My concern at this point is the legal implications and exposure to the City if we take this unprecedented legislative action.
Ceaser Mitchell (Sent before September vote):

Quote:
Thank you for your email. Your communication has been received in our office. We will convey your concerns with Council President Mitchell; However, please note, as President of Council, he will only cast a vote in the event of a tie.

Kind Regards,

Office of The Honorable Ceasar C. Mitchell Atlanta City Council President
Natalyn Archibong has been in active opposition to the development, as proposed, since before they were even granted the SAP: Neighbors fight big-box development along Beltline - CBS Atlanta News

Carla Smith has also been an active in introducing legislation to change the zoning later this year but her opponents have been campaigning that it is too little too late.

Messages were sent to all other city council members and Mayor Reed's office but they have not responded.

Last edited by jsvh; 10-22-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 01:33 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,565,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Aaron Watson (Note that this was sent just before the zoning meeting in September):
I don't know how Watson voted on Glenwood.

However, he was an active supporter of the Fuqua/Walmart proposal at Lindbergh, despite strong opposition from the NPUs and the surrounding neighborhoods.

It was never clear why he so vigorously supported Fuqua.

"Watson, who went against the wishes of every neighborhood that he represents on council on this issue, last week filed an amendment to his original zoning paper to add 100 affordable senior housing units as part of the residential mix at the project.

It appeared to be an attempt to entice more council members to vote in favor of the development, especially among council members who represent south and southwest Atlanta neighborhoods where affordable senior housing is a major issue. .

Both Councilmen Shook and Wan had told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the end of last week they would vote against the development even after the Watson amendment. Councilwoman Adrean told BuckheadView this past weekend she would vote against the papers and she did. Councilwoman Moore, had earlier indicated to BuckheadView she did not favor the proposed development and also voted against it."

More...BuckheadView: City Council essentially kills land use, zoning bids for proposed Lindbergh area Walmart development

Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,565,749 times
Looks like Alex Wan is picking up some major endorsements from business, labor and the gay community.

Atlanta Board of Realtors
Atlanta Fire and Rescue Department, IAFF Local 134
Atlanta Police Department, IBPO Local 623
Buckhead Coalition
Georgia Equality
Log Cabin Republicans
Stonewall Democrats
Victory Fund

Endorsements - Alex Wan for Atlanta City Council District 6

Old 10-22-2013, 03:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,287,831 times
Give Carla Smith in District 1 the boot. She dragged her feet on introducing rezoning legislation as it relates to the 800 Glenwood development purposely.

Not much else to be said on this one.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 AM

139 posts, read 230,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Give Carla Smith in District 1 the boot. She dragged her feet on introducing rezoning legislation as it relates to the 800 Glenwood development purposely.

Not much else to be said on this one.
The "dragging her feet" claim is one thing, the "purposely" is straight-up libel.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,287,831 times
So take me to court, then.

But I guarantee you this:

If such a thing did happen, the stink behind her actions on the 800 Glenwood situation will be much greater than any stink behind my previous words.

Believe it.

*Note* I am pretty sure my speech here is protected.

http://saperlaw.com/blog/2010/02/09/...cal-campaigns/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatlien View Post
The "dragging her feet" claim is one thing, the "purposely" is straight-up libel.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-23-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 AM

139 posts, read 230,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
But I guarantee you this:

If such a thing did happen, the stink behind her actions on the 800 Glenwood situation will be much greater than any stink behind my previous words.

Believe it.
I'll play. What is the stink that you think you know? You seem awfully confident while having offered up nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta