Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 02:32 PM

121 posts, read 371,473 times

Advertisements

Has anyone converted a duplex that began as a SFH back into a SFH? Particularly in a historic neighborhood? If so, what all had to be done?
City permision? Permits? Zoning? The house is one story with a full basement being split right now the middle. Only one front door but each side having 1 bedroom/1bath on the main floor and 1 bedroom/1 bath in the basement. Thanks for the input!

**update** After doing some research on the City of Atlanta website, I still have a few questions. The zoning and permiting pages state that in order to convert a duplex to a single family home architect plans are needed. However, we are planning on living in the home as one unit for a few months before making any changes (structural, taking out extra kitchens, etc). That way we can decide what kind of floor plan works best for us.

Last edited by brooklynbarker; 10-29-2011 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Can't really add anything on the logistical side, but I can say that it is a very common thing in Atlanta's historic neighborhoods and inner burbs. My parents house in Downtown East Point was started life in the 1920s as a SFH then somewhere along the way became a quadplex and changed back into a SFH sometime in the 70s. It is something that has always interested me since when I was a kid I used to always wonder why it was that excluding the front door, back, and foyer door we had seven doors in our 3 bedroom bungalow.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:41 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Sure, that's easily do-able. But here is not the place to ask the questions. Since you're dealing with the city of Atlanta's building department (Planning and Development) who are a bunch of lazy government workers, getting information and the permit(s) is like pulling teeth without anesthesia.
What you should do is find a GC that works within the city. They usually have ins with the morons that work in P&D- that will help get the project rolling and they can play with the footprint of the house to come up with a good working floorplan for your future home. Then when the plan is approved by you, they can start the permit process.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,624 times
OP, have you finished your project? I am thinking about the same thing but want to hear others' experiences first.

We are living in a duplex (2bd/2bthx2) in the north part of Atlanta. We used to rent out the upstairs unit but as our family grows, we are occupying both now. However, it never feels right.

Can somebody please tell me the financial consequences of conversion? The house (3000 sqft+, one of the largest old houses) was built in mid 50's. and is located close to Lenox mall. The small neighbourhood has a mix of new homes (800k+) to old SFH ones (400k+). It also has some townhomes at the outside of the community as well selling from 450k+ to low 700K.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2013, 11:44 AM

121 posts, read 371,473 times
fzx - We ended up going with a different house that did not require the conversion. Maybe someone else on here is able to help you. Best of luck.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
OP, have you finished your project? I am thinking about the same thing but want to hear others' experiences first.

We are living in a duplex (2bd/2bthx2) in the north part of Atlanta. We used to rent out the upstairs unit but as our family grows, we are occupying both now. However, it never feels right.

Can somebody please tell me the financial consequences of conversion? The house (3000 sqft+, one of the largest old houses) was built in mid 50's. and is located close to Lenox mall. The small neighbourhood has a mix of new homes (800k+) to old SFH ones (400k+). It also has some townhomes at the outside of the community as well selling from 450k+ to low 700K.

Thanks
I'd get a good renovation contractor who works intown. Most of them have the info to answer your questions and the contacts to see that the permitting process works smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: