Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,805,043 times

Advertisements

1 restaurant gunman found dead; other at-large | The Citizen

As someone whose roots in Fayette County go back generations, indeed to the very founding of the community almost 200 years ago, it sickens me deeply to see this kind of garbage coming into a place that I love with all my heart and where so many of my family, friends and other loved ones go about their daily lives. The restaurant where this robbery and shooting took place is TWO STREETS over from the house in which I grew up, and less than a mile from where my elderly parents now live.

THIS CRAP MAKES ME MAD AS HELL! And it's making a lot of OTHER people MAD AS HELL as well! As Fayette County has grown, and random crime has inevitably increased, the reaction most often has been "well, guess we're turning into Clayton and will have to move!" But thanks in part to all the new investment coming in with the Pinewood project, the economic righting of the school system, a lot of people are digging in their heels and saying "HELL NO! WE WON'T GO!"

I found these two comments attached to the story link above especially heartening:

"As long as we live next to riverdale and south fulton county crime will always be here. The only problem is they are getting bolder. Holidays are coming up and all I can say is just be on guard. Our county is a great county and it takes us to be vigilant on crime. Criminals don't take a day off, so we have to think the same."

"The Cathy family can pour money into a waterfall and the FC BOC can pour money into cart paths along the major roads and Group VI can just promote the heck out of the good life here and get even more filthy rich doing it. PTC can invite groups from all over the world. The FCDA can sing praises on the jobs saved and added. All good, all positive. I will comment here that I don't see where there is ever any focus on the small businesses and the shops over in Fayetteville (other areas, too) that are now at risk.

The movie industry works 24 hours a day. They will be out shopping, eating, and otherwise socializing late into the night while working and hopefully, living here. Many will have 6 figure incomes. I hope that we can all tell them not only that they are welcome here, but that they will be safe to travel and live the unique lifestyle they are used to living."

What is it going to take to SAVE and PRESERVE the good areas of METRO ATLANTA from being taken over by ghetto thugs who don't give a damn about anybody but their pathetic selves? It's going to take people rising up and saying, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH DAMMIT!" It's going to take people who aren't afraid to FIGHT for their communities! It's going to take people willing to draw a line in the sand and say "FEAR STOPS HERE!" It's going to take COURAGE to embrace and live alongside people who may not look just like you! The era of white flight and endless sprawl MUST END!

And if it means arming ourselves and shooting the creeps in the face when they try to take what we've worked so hard for, then GOOD RIDDANCE!

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-15-2013 at 12:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:56 PM

254 posts, read 417,358 times
Wow..

Down here the most craziest robbery we've had was a man in a Guy Fawkes mask with a sword trying to steal cattle..I'l never forget when I was told about that and read it in the newspaper.

And I agree, the Governor Nathan Deal should pass a bill that has the state government distribute free weapons to those in ghetto communities and worn-down communites, along with free training courses.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 AM

744 posts, read 2,472,530 times
One thing I would love for the city governments to do of both Fayetteville and Peachtree City is give the officers everything they ask for so that they can protect the citizens to the best of their ability .
I know that when Kedron village was finishing their build out a few years ago , the Peachtree City officers strongly suggested putting a satellite police station there to deter theft in the area .I could not believe the city's lack of foresight in this regard when they decided to vote against this recommendation.It would have greatly helped the merchants in the area and not left that area of the city/county quite as vulnerable to criminal behavior .

Last edited by go falcons; 10-15-2013 at 05:52 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 06:35 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,417,634 times
Very unfortunate that this happened and for the point I am making it really would not deter robbing a restaurant. Active neighborhood watches help deter crime. Having more of a sense of community which is often hard to achieve when an area has lots of people who move in and out often. I imagine neighborhood vigilance vary from subdivision to subdivision.

I like Fayette county, nice area overall. I still would recommend people to live there if they are looking for some good schools on the southside.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Very unfortunate that this happened and for the point I am making it really would not deter robbing a restaurant. Active neighborhood watches help deter crime. Having more of a sense of community which is often hard to achieve when an area has lots of people who move in and out often. I imagine neighborhood vigilance vary from subdivision to subdivision.

I like Fayette county, nice area overall. I still would recommend people to live there if they are looking for some good schools on the southside.
Thank you BL, and your point about community is very valid. There is a VERY strong sense of community in Fayette County, that reflects both respect for the past and pride in what it has become. And that's what will make it a fine place to live for years to come. I see the same thing in other parts of Metro Atlanta, but I don't know any other metro county that has a greater sense of "place" than Fayette County. It's hard to put into words, but it's very special. The people there are fiercely proud -- many would say arrogant. They love where they live and are willing to fight for it. That's not something you see in a lot of places.

And yet, just one county over is Clayton ... a place that lost its soul and sense of community long ago, indeed if it ever had one. Well before Clayton County became majority minority, it had ineffective leadership that made LOTS of mistakes -- good ol' white boys if you will -- and they had no vision for the future. And sadly, the entire metro area is now paying the price for the mistakes that Clayton County made. All we can do is make sure those mistakes are never repeated.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:51 AM

10,339 posts, read 11,349,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Thank you BL, and your point about community is very valid. There is a VERY strong sense of community in Fayette County, that reflects both respect for the past and pride in what it has become. And that's what will make it a fine place to live for years to come. I see the same thing in other parts of Metro Atlanta, but I don't know any other metro county that has a greater sense of "place" than Fayette County. It's hard to put into words, but it's very special. The people there are fiercely proud -- many would say arrogant. They love where they live and are willing to fight for it. That's not something you see in a lot of places.

And yet, just one county over is Clayton ... a place that lost its soul and sense of community long ago, indeed if it ever had one. Well before Clayton County became majority minority, it had ineffective leadership that made LOTS of mistakes -- good ol' white boys if you will -- and they had no vision for the future. And sadly, the entire metro area is now paying the price for the mistakes that Clayton County made. All we can do is make sure those mistakes are never repeated.
Excellent points about Clayton County's history of ineffective leadership even before the county became majority-minority.

Though, I would not necessarily go as far as saying that the entire metro area is paying the price for the mistakes of Clayton County as the much more heavily populated suburbs on the Northside have their own unique set of very-substantial issues relating to crime and poverty.

Violent crime and crime in general happens on a much more consistent basis in Cobb and Gwinnett counties on the Northside than it does in suburban Fayette on the Southside.

While the historically-ineffective leadership that you mentioned even during its glory days as a booming suburb that was a popular with airport employees has played a very-major role in Clayton County's decline to a highly-dysfunctional moribund suburb with a very-high poverty rate, Clayton County's crime and poverty issues are even more complex than meets-the-eye.

Clayton County's historically-ineffective leadership combined with Metro Atlanta's knack for massive overbuilding and overdevelopment (something which exacerbated white flight to farther-out Fayette and Henry counties), Metro Atlanta's explosive growth into a major population center in the Eastern U.S. and the mass leveling of the very-large cluster of housing projects in the City of Atlanta (a cluster of housing projects that was once the largest cluster of public housing in the nation south of Washington D.C.) to bring the county to where it is today.

The large-scale construction of new residential areas in Fayette and Henry counties left behind a large supply of relatively-cheap housing for poor residents being kicked out of closed-down housing projects in the City of Atlanta and for poor transplants moving in from other major urban areas around the nation.

As disturbing as this violent armed robbery was in Fayette County and despite being next door to a highly-dysfunctional Clayton County, robbery and violent crime in general is still a very rare and infrequent occurrence in Fayette County when compared to other counties in Metro Atlanta.

This crime, as violent as it was, is NOT symptomatic of a larger decline in Fayette County as the perps drove in from neighboring highly-dysfunctional Clayton County.

While not much can necessarily be done to keep criminals from driving in on major roads from neighboring counties (like Clayton and Fulton) and robbing commercial establishments, Fayette County has still done a really good job at controlling development so that there is not an endless supply of cheap single-family and multi-family housing to attract poverty and crime like has been the case in Clayton, Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb and Gwinnett counties where overdevelopment has been a highly-celebrated way-of-life.

Other than having strong political leadership and controlling development like Fayette County has, not much can be done to completely prevent all crime from occurring in an outer-suburban county attached to a major metro region of 6 million people with large areas of high poverty and crime relatively close nearby, no matter how high the quality-of-life may be in that outer-suburban county.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,207,072 times
This is unfortunate. I'm glad one robber is dead and I hope the others are put away for life. Scum. I pray for the worker at China Cafe.

But unlike some people I talk to, this is not the end of Fayette County. It sucks hardcore that s like this happens, but we do live in a 6 million person metro. Fayette is significantly disadvantaged from a geographical standpoint. We join up close to some of the worst parts of the metro, South Fulton and Clayton county. I wish we could just up and move the county, but obviously that is not going to happen!

Thankfully, I have noticed a large increase in Sheriff patrol cars in the north part of the county over the past few months. They are almost always sitting somewhere along 279 or 85 watching. One thing that we can do is make sure it is obvious to the criminal element that they aren't in ghettoville any more. The more their presence is made known the better off we are. I wish they would start ticketing people running red lights going into the Fayette Pavilion (Fayette County's biggest mistake).

The worst thing citizens can do, and I am pointing the finger at certain news websites and their commenters, is act like Fayette County is going down the tubes. That simply isn't true. We have a lot of great stuff going for us, we just need to continue to pound down the criminal douchebags.

Unfortunately, the problems of South Fulton and Clayton spill over into our fine county. I wish they would get their acts together.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
This is unfortunate. I'm glad one robber is dead and I hope the others are put away for life. Scum. I pray for the worker at China Cafe.

But unlike some people I talk to, this is not the end of Fayette County. It sucks hardcore that s like this happens, but we do live in a 6 million person metro. Fayette is significantly disadvantaged from a geographical standpoint. We join up close to some of the worst parts of the metro, South Fulton and Clayton county. I wish we could just up and move the county, but obviously that is not going to happen!

Thankfully, I have noticed a large increase in Sheriff patrol cars in the north part of the county over the past few months. They are almost always sitting somewhere along 279 or 85 watching. One thing that we can do is make sure it is obvious to the criminal element that they aren't in ghettoville any more. The more their presence is made known the better off we are. I wish they would start ticketing people running red lights going into the Fayette Pavilion (Fayette County's biggest mistake).

The worst thing citizens can do, and I am pointing the finger at certain news websites and their commenters, is act like Fayette County is going down the tubes. That simply isn't true. We have a lot of great stuff going for us, we just need to continue to pound down the criminal douchebags.

Unfortunately, the problems of South Fulton and Clayton spill over into our fine county. I wish they would get their acts together.
Clever! I see what you did there TIkiGod! Citizens = certain news websites! HA HA! And you are 100% dead-on!

Lest it be misunderstood, my initial reason for posting this thread was because SOME of the posters on that particular website were actually saying what you just said, that the community is a GOOD community, that crime is a sad inevitability but it's NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! That's not a viewpoint that you often hear expressed by *SOME* in Fayette County! Many of these people fled SW Atlanta, South DeKalb, South Fulton and Clayton for "whiter pastures" in Fayette. And now that Fayette is no longer as rural and innocent as it used to be, their only defense is to spread the same ignorance and hate. It's a LOT fewer people than you'd be led to believe by reading THAT website, thank god! There are a lot of very good, very intelligent people in Fayette County who aren't willing to just up and leave over one unfortunate restaurant robbery. And besides, where the HELL are the going to go?!

Thanks for "Having Your Say!"

Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,207,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Clever! I see what you did there TIkiGod! Citizens = certain news websites! HA HA! And you are 100% dead-on!

Lest it be misunderstood, my initial reason for posting this thread was because SOME of the posters on that particular website were actually saying what you just said, that the community is a GOOD community, that crime is a sad inevitability but it's NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! That's not a viewpoint that you often hear expressed by *SOME* in Fayette County! Many of these people fled SW Atlanta, South DeKalb, South Fulton and Clayton for "whiter pastures" in Fayette. And now that Fayette is no longer as rural and innocent as it used to be, their only defense is to spread the same ignorance and hate. It's a LOT fewer people than you'd be led to believe by reading THAT website, thank god! There are a lot of very good, very intelligent people in Fayette County who aren't willing to just up and leave over one unfortunate restaurant robbery. And besides, where the HELL are the going to go?!

Thanks for "Having Your Say!"
Glad you liked my covert dis there

You are correct, the comments in that news story had much less thinly veiled racism than normal. Seems like the site is getting some new blood. Ill take it, because it was embarrassing before.

I'm really hoping the generation of white flight dies off soon and I think it will with the baby boomers. Fayette county will make a great case study of it in the future. The racial dynamics here are interesting to say the least.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:01 PM

730 posts, read 824,442 times
North Fayette has been taken over by clayton and south fulton citizens. Just today I read about the increase in burglaries in North Fayette. I have family and friends in fayetteville that tell me that people are now scared to go to the pavilion.

People didn't think clayco would turn into what it has turned into. I'm not saying that Fayette will be become the next clayton, but it is certainly within the realm of possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta