Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 05:38 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
The whole Chicago,NYC, LA. Dc-vs- Atlanta is so old.

I like all of those cities and I even lived in Chicago for 10 years. I still like Atlanta as well as those other cities. I can see if he/she were living in Akron,Ohio. That would be something to be unhappy about, to a degree. There are just as many people on the Chicago forum spewing hate about Chicago as in this forum. If you don't like where you live, you either deal with it or do something about it. Those are the only 2 options.

Atlanta is a great city with plenty to offer for work, play and relaxation.

I certainly understand someone not liking where they live. I'm okay with that but some of these posters come across as if the down right hate Atlanta with a passion. That is where I cannot comprehend their misery.

I live in Columbus,Ohio. Not a favorite place to live. I don't post in that forum very often but when I do, it's usually to help a new resident and answer questions about a recommendation for a service provider. It's never to show disdain for the city. I can use my energy planning my move to Atlanta.

It's so much easier to post happy posts in this forum than to post unhappy posts in the city forum in which I have no desire to be.

I don't like cats, therefore I don't go to cat forums posting "I don't like cats".

Instead, I come here and post about my fondness for Atlanta.
Rocco - You rock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,030 times
Yes, I love all the cities you mentioned and have lived in 3 out of 5 of them. While Chicago is likely my favorite, I love Atlanta for everything it offers that those cities don't.

You did it best--living like a local! People come here and expect conspicuous tourist attractions and leave wondering why Atlanta is so hyped up. It's people who actually get to explore the city who appreciate it so much.

It is definitely a home-y type of place--there's something serene and comforting about this city. With that, it feels very neighborly in that there's a strong culture of neighborhood festivals and a measure of hospitality that I don't experience in most parts of NYC (barring parts of Brooklyn), LA, or DC. Like, people talk to each other. I moved to metro Atlanta with my family years ago, and a week would rarely pass when a neighbor didn't extend an invitation to share something from their garden or engage in chit chat about their lives or families, or whatever.

After being in Europe for some time and experiencing the beauty of walkable, dense neighborhoods and vibrancy both in Europe and in the northern cities back home, I certainly see where Atlanta can improve. The good thing is that it is! There is no shortage of people invested in making the city live up to its potential. The quality of life attracts young professionals who can only continue to guide Atlanta's progressive growth. The same can't be said about DC, LA, and NYC, where young professionals are getting priced out tremendously. That eventually takes a toll on cities' creative classes...and Atlanta gets to reap the rewards.

Quote:

I like all of those cities and I even lived in Chicago for 10 years. I still like Atlanta as well as those other cities. I can see if he/she were living in Akron,Ohio. That would be something to be unhappy about, to a degree. There are just as many people on the Chicago forum spewing hate about Chicago as in this forum. If you don't like where you live, you either deal with it or do something about it. Those are the only 2 options.

I certainly understand someone not liking where they live. I'm okay with that but some of these posters come across as if the down right hate Atlanta with a passion. That is where I cannot comprehend their misery.

I live in Columbus,Ohio. Not a favorite place to live. I don't post in that forum very often but when I do, it's usually to help a new resident and answer questions about a recommendation for a service provider. It's never to show disdain for the city. I can use my energy planning my move to Atlanta.

It's so much easier to post happy posts in this forum than to post unhappy posts in the city forum in which I have no desire to be.

I don't like cats, therefore I don't go to cat forums posting "I don't like cats".

Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,468 times
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Yes, I love all the cities you mentioned and have lived in 3 out of 5 of them. While Chicago is likely my favorite, I love Atlanta for everything it offers that those cities don't.

You did it best--living like a local! People come here and expect conspicuous tourist attractions and leave wondering why Atlanta is so hyped up. It's people who actually get to explore the city who appreciate it so much.

It is definitely a home-y type of place--there's something serene and comforting about this city. With that, it feels very neighborly in that there's a strong culture of neighborhood festivals and a measure of hospitality that I don't experience in most parts of NYC (barring parts of Brooklyn), LA, or DC. Like, people talk to each other. I moved to metro Atlanta with my family years ago, and a week would rarely pass when a neighbor didn't extend an invitation to share something from their garden or engage in chit chat about their lives or families, or whatever.

After being in Europe for some time and experiencing the beauty of walkable, dense neighborhoods and vibrancy both in Europe and in the northern cities back home, I certainly see where Atlanta can improve. The good thing is that it is! There is no shortage of people invested in making the city live up to its potential. The quality of life attracts young professionals who can only continue to guide Atlanta's progressive growth. The same can't be said about DC, LA, and NYC, where young professionals are getting priced out tremendously. That eventually takes a toll on cities' creative classes...and Atlanta gets to reap the rewards.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
You need to get laid
Grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
As u see most people in this thread are happy and fine with Atlanta. Do u have to go in every thread and bring your I hate Atlanta because its not dense as chicago or Ny attitude. Can we have 1 decent thread with people who actually enjoy Atlanta geez.
Do you guys like to circle jerk that Atlanta is perfect all of the time?

Quote:

Cool.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:11 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Grow up.

Do you guys like to circle jerk that Atlanta is perfect all of the time?

Cool.
Its not about painting Atlanta to be perfect its about us talking about the city we enjoy and the things we enjoy about the city. Every other thread is just talking about how Atlanta should be this and that blah blah blah.. We have one thread where somebody was actually happy with Atlanta and its current state and here u come once again with your I love dense walkable cities like chicago SF etc arguments. Can u give that argument a break PLEASE are u seriously not tired of arguing that same TIRED!!!! argument. MY GOD

Old 10-19-2013, 01:22 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Good thread.

Indeed, there's almost always something going on here. Accessatlanta.com is a great way to start. Get-togethers, meetup groups, and so forth are all good ways to meet like-minded people.

As some have said, traffic very much depends on your route. At certain times of the day, some roads are just fine while others are parking lots.

I like the OP's idea of just getting a temporary place and then figuring out where to settle. We have too many of these "is X a good place to live?" threads, and far too few of them suggest that the person looking to move might be flexible for a temporary location before something more permanent is found.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:50 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,030 times
By the way Rocco, why'd you leave Chicago? As I mentioned upthread, it's become among my fave cities and probably my absolute favorite (a running battle between Chicago and Atlanta). I mean, I absolutely fell in love with it. It was sooo so much more than I expected, and I would easily move there if the right job opportunity came along.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Rocco - You rock!
Yes, Rocco; have I told you lately that I love you?

Old 10-19-2013, 01:11 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
By the way Rocco, why'd you leave Chicago? As I mentioned upthread, it's become among my fave cities and probably my absolute favorite (a running battle between Chicago and Atlanta). I mean, I absolutely fell in love with it. It was sooo so much more than I expected, and I would easily move there if the right job opportunity came along.
I'm a Fed employee. I wanted to get to a certain level in terms of management. There was a position available in Columbus,Ohio that was just what I was looking for to get to the next promotion. Since I had spent time in Dayton, Ohio before, I figured what the heck, why not take the promotion and transfer.

I've accomplished what I've needed in 2 short years so know it's time to make one more move, which is Atlanta. I've lived in more than a hand full of places. Although I've made friends in each place, I want someplace I can call "home" and start laying roots, if you will. I have not been able to do that since I graduated college. I'm 39y/o now and I want to get more settled and focus on long term business ventures.

Although I'll live in Atlanta, I still have business here in Columbus, so I'll always be back for that, which is fine, as long as I'm not living here. Doing business here is great, living here, not so much.

Although I work for the FEDS, I'm not locked in to working for them. I'm not a "Fed Lifer". I need to always stretch and grow. After Atlanta, I'm done moving. That doesn't mean I will not have a apartment in another city for weekend fun.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:21 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 232,650 times
I agree with OP. What made Atlanta even better for me was the fact that as a kid I lived in a small city so I had never even seen anything close to skyscraper until I traveled. Atlanta was one of the first big cities I had traveled to so it's kinda like we fell in love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta