Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
In before anybody mentioned Obamaphones.

This is actually a really good program. Mobile phones have become an essential these days and it's becomingly increasingly harder to get by without one. What would you do if you were in an emergency situation and didn't have access to a phone? Payphones are almost non existent now so having a cell really is a necessity. My tire blew out a few weeks ago around 10PM on a Sunday night off of 316. There was literally nothing around and if I didn't have a phone to call my parents, my friends and a towing service I don't know what I would have done. Everybody should have that in case of an emergency.
That would be great, IF a ton of people weren't taking advantage of the program by getting tons of phones and also giving people more minutes and text messages then they would actually need in any emergencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
That would be great, IF a ton of people weren't taking advantage of the program by getting tons of phones and also giving people more minutes and text messages then they would actually need in any emergencies.
Blame the companies. They don't care because they get paid either way.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:55 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,624 times
How are they going to bill the homeless guy the 5 fee without an address to bill to? Just wondering.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
I have Virgin Mobile. I only pay $25.00 a month for unlimited Web,Messaging and Data. I also get 300 worth of talking minutes.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:44 AM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Blame the companies. They don't care because they get paid either way.
I would say the people knowingly taking advantage of it and the companies are equally to blame but you are right the companies deserve some blame for sure.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
It's too bad that dishonest folks defrauded the gov't requiring the poor to now have to pay for such a necessary and basic commodity.
Basic commodity?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
It's a cell phone. Not food. What other first-world government gives away free phones? It's only $5. Get real.

How is the guy making 13k a year going to give back to society? Is he going to volunteer at church working 45 hours a week? Is he going to donate to the library or local universities? Is he going to buy sandwiches at the mom and pop restaurant down the street? Is he going to boost tourism and businesses by convincing friends and family or colleagues that Georgia is such a great place? Free phones come at a cost. Tax payer's cost. Life isn't free.

Don't be so blindly liberal. Our government is literally closed. You can't just give anyone anything. Money is tight
Are you suggesting that the poor need to learn to do without certain luxuries?

Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Basic commodity?
I firmly believe that the ability to make a phone call is terrifically important. So, yes. There are no more pay phones (well, essentially there are no more). The ability to call an ambulance, the police or a loved one? Yep. Pretty basic. I don't know anyone that could go much more than a day without a phone.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Booze! Smokes!
So? Let them. Still, less corruption and misuse happens this way. If a few people choose to spend money on cigarettes over a cell phone or even food, why should you care? If they end up hungry maybe they will reconsider their expenditures tomorrow.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:58 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
In before anybody mentioned Obamaphones.

This is actually a really good program. Mobile phones have become an essential these days and it's becomingly increasingly harder to get by without one. What would you do if you were in an emergency situation and didn't have access to a phone? Payphones are almost non existent now so having a cell really is a necessity. My tire blew out a few weeks ago around 10PM on a Sunday night off of 316. There was literally nothing around and if I didn't have a phone to call my parents, my friends and a towing service I don't know what I would have done. Everybody should have that in case of an emergency.
You could try doing the same thing we did when there were no cell phones and there were never pay phones on lonely stretches of highway. You would start walking and hope someone one would stop. It seemed to work ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: