Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,197,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree regarding HOAs. When we were house hunting here, my husband and I made a point not to move anywhere with HOA fees.

But there are a lot of nicer neighborhoods in SW Atlanta that are cheap and are neighborhoods so no HOAs. I am black so wouldn't mind living down there and my husband keeps going back and forth over moving away from Atlanta or staying, if we stay we will move down to SW Atlanta for a bigger yard, home and no HOA fees lol.
I'd never heard of a subdivision until I moved here lol. I was like, "Huh? What's that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,272,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
If "Atlanta" was a girl she would win the Miss America pageant.
Yeah, not exactly a Nobel Prize winner.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 AM

23,374 posts, read 43,853,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I'd never heard of a subdivision until I moved here lol. I was like, "Huh? What's that?"
Seriously?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 PM

249 posts, read 417,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
To me Atlanta is actually lowkey one of America's prettiest cities: the rolling hills; the endless supply of trees that transform beautifully in autumn months into vivid warm colors; the impressive Craftsmans and Victorian homes in Inman Park, Poncey Highland, Grant Park and VA Highland; the juxtaposition of the minimansions of Ansley Park against the midtown skyscrapers; the quaintness of downtown Decatur. Even the industrial grit of Dekalb Avenue and the accompanying street art is one of my favorite visions of the city.

It wasn't listed among the ugliest, but the writer (link below) made a brief little dig at Atlanta when talking about the ugliness of Houston. But why would Atlanta even be among the first American cities on the writer's mind in terms of ugly? That person seriously must not have actually spent time here:

THE TOP 10 UGLIEST CITIES IN THE WORLD
As someone who stayed in Atlanta for a while in the summer and enjoyed it, I think the writer is talking about all the brick buildings, messed up sidewalks and how sometimes you run across graffiti. I enjoyed it all but that is just my guess from an unbiased outsider looking in view. Everything else was fine though, people were friendly, nice city, etc

Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,550,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Seriously?
Believe it or not, some parts of the country don't have these things. My first year down here, I had to have a new mattress delivered, and the dispatch operator asks what subdivision I'm in. Not knowing what the hell they were talking about, I gave the county name, and got a blank stare for my efforts.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,197,631 times
Quote:
Seriously?
Yep, seriously (or a cul-de-sac for that matter)! If you live your whole life someplace where there's no such thing as subdivisions, why or how would you know what they are?

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 10-22-2013 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 03:16 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,762,214 times
Quote:
Seriously?
I had never heard of it either. We didn't have them when I was a kid. After finding out about them here though I did realize that my grandma "kind of" lived in one, it was a "planned community" in the actual city we lived in and she didn't have HOA fees but it kind of looked like a subdivision.

FWIW, I thought my grandma was "rich" because her new house (she had it built from the ground up, which I thought was amazing at the time - that she could tell someone what she wanted in the house). It had two bathrooms, which I thought was unheard of at the time. I was used to living in old 3bd/1ba houses in regular grid street neighborhoods.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:45 AM

37,816 posts, read 41,609,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yeah, not exactly a Nobel Prize winner.
Been there, done that with MLK and President Carter. And we've got this coming up also: Nobel Peace Prize winners bringing 2015 world summit to Atlanta | SaportaReport

Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,272,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Been there, done that with MLK and President Carter. And we've got this coming up also: Nobel Peace Prize winners bringing 2015 world summit to Atlanta | SaportaReport
They're great people. They're not Atlanta, though.

It was a joke, anyway.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,670,658 times
Goodness gracious! What's all of the mystery about the term "subdivision" I'm reading about here?
I'm nearly 60 & have lived here since 1979 but grew up in a very small town in the rural midwest & I certainly knew what a subdivision was by some point in junior (middle) high school. It's not as though it's a new or mysterious or regional word that we've been hiding down here in Atlanta.
And as for tree canopy cover, unfortunately it is less thick around here than it was only a couple of decades ago in metro Atlanta but the canopy is far greater in coverage, thickness & depth than what is generally found in most midwestern cities. There's really no comparison except for specific & localized forest areas & preserves that dot those midwestern metros.
Oh, and northwestern Ohio is no garden oasis & not known as an area with a thick tree canopy, contrary to what one writer posted. It's not even close!
I have flown in and out of so many cities with great window seat views & driven & walked as often as I can when out of town & the canopy at tree top is thicker here in metro Atlanta on average, especially in older neighborhoods, & an additional factor is that at the ground level, we have far more vegetation as in bushes, shrubs, overgrown wild areas in yards, etc. than what is found in most of the midwest.
My visit to Minneapolis/St. Paul for example last year was an eyeopener & the first to that area in a while. It was remarkably flatter than I remembered once you got away from the Mississippi River & the tree cover was not as thick as I had recalled either.
I'll also stake a claim that we easily beat many other areas of the south in tree cover, especially if you want to include Texas as part of the south.
I once tried to explain the differences as I saw them in general tree canopy, etc. between here & Houston on another thread & a certain writer from Houston was reduced to claiming that I had never been to Houston. My offense was that my personal view made from my own observations led me to conclude that Atlanta had a noticeably thicker & more lush general tree canopy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta