Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,714 times

Advertisements

To me Atlanta is actually lowkey one of America's prettiest cities: the rolling hills; the endless supply of trees that transform beautifully in autumn months into vivid warm colors; the impressive Craftsmans and Victorian homes in Inman Park, Poncey Highland, Grant Park and VA Highland; the juxtaposition of the minimansions of Ansley Park against the midtown skyscrapers; the quaintness of downtown Decatur. Even the industrial grit of Dekalb Avenue and the accompanying street art is one of my favorite visions of the city.

It wasn't listed among the ugliest, but the writer (link below) made a brief little dig at Atlanta when talking about the ugliness of Houston. But why would Atlanta even be among the first American cities on the writer's mind in terms of ugly? That person seriously must not have actually spent time here:

THE TOP 10 UGLIEST CITIES IN THE WORLD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,611 times
You answered your question, the writer hasn't spent time in Atlanta. I was at work speaking with a gentleman that has the same fondness for Atlanta as I do and as soon as he sells his home here in Ohio, guess where he;ll be moving too? But I digress, the subject of our talk was how pretty Atlanta and surrounding areas are.

We both thought the landscape of Atlanta is very pretty in terms on the greenery and hills in and around the city.

Articles like these are written by writers, not natives.

So what, Atlanta doesn't have a massive and expansive skyline like those other cities people like to talk about so much when making comparisons about Atlanta, in this forum.

A cities beauty certainly isn't defined by it's skyline or density, that's for sure.

If that were the case, cities with snow capped mountains as their skyline would be considered ugly, we all know that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
To me Atlanta is actually lowkey one of America's prettiest cities: the rolling hills; the endless supply of trees that transform beautifully in autumn months into vivid warm colors; the impressive Craftsmans and Victorian homes in Inman Park, Poncey Highland, Grant Park and VA Highland; the juxtaposition of the minimansions of Ansley Park against the midtown skyscrapers; the quaintness of downtown Decatur. Even the industrial grit of Dekalb Avenue and the accompanying street art is one of my favorite visions of the city.

It wasn't listed among the ugliest, but the writer (link below) made a brief little dig at Atlanta when talking about the ugliness of Houston. But why would Atlanta even be among the first American cities on the writer's mind in terms of ugly? That person seriously must not have actually spent time here:

THE TOP 10 UGLIEST CITIES IN THE WORLD

Old 10-18-2013, 06:51 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,528,500 times
What race is the writer of the article?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:54 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
What race is the writer of the article?

Interesting question. Care to expound?

The article opening says "We've made the list........."

That tells me, multiple authors.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:21 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
Just a publicity article, and Atlanta is only tangentially mentioned.

As world's ugliest cities go, China should dominate the list imo. The bleak weather much of the time and endless blocks of tenements...yuck. Agree with Guatemala City. Santo Domingo probably deserves a spot, outside of the small colonial district--Mexico City is far more attractive on the whole. Lagos would probably be #1 on any realistic list.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:38 PM

194 posts, read 317,496 times
Atlanta in the spring; one of the prettiest cities in the country. imho.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:39 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
I take articles like this about as seriously as the Creflo Dollar Show.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
I will say that Atlanta loses much of what makes it attractive during the months when the trees have no leaves.

Maybe the writer visited Atlanta during February?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,645,172 times
National Geographic seems to think that Atlanta is a "Beautiful city" (http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...atlanta-essay/) and also stated that Atlanta is one of 50 places of a lifetime to visit in the world (Editor’s Letter: 50 Places of a Lifetime – Intelligent Travel).

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 10-18-2013 at 09:57 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 09:53 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,309 times
Please….lol

Now if you want to see an ugly city go to Detroit or Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta