Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 02:20 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,496 times

Advertisements

I left Atlanta in 2007 after nursing school to take a job near old college friends in Raleigh/Durham NC. After being here almost seven years, I'm ready to go.

I've lived many places, and have ALWAYS been able to acclimate to my surroundings no matter where it is, and make it feel like home. From the first year I got to this area, I wanted to go back to Atlanta, and that hasn't changed since. North Carolina is a beautiful state, and has a lot to offer; I just suppose it depends on what you're here for. If you're a student, retiree, or married with children coming for a job opportunity, then you've landed in the right place; for single people, outside of work, there's not so much here.

Besides simply not liking this area, I NEED to move back home, as there are so, so, many things going on family wise, and my mom is 63 this year, and nearing retirement. She has asked me to moved back a few times, but it just hasn't been the right time financially. With my sister and I both out of state, I no longer want to be so far from her in her golden years, since we are her only two children.

I have to two simple questions: (ONE) Can I live inside the perimeter in a 2 bdrm apartment for under 1K a month? When I was there I live in mostly suburban areas; Sandy Springs, Vinings, all parts of Gwinnett, and Austell. But this time, I want the CITY experience. Just wondering if I'll have to settle for a 1 bdrm for that price. I like historic properties, instead of "chain" (for lack of a better word) apartments. I. HATE. CARPET!! Every apartment "complex" seems to be with all this ridiculous carpet! I need hardwoods, big windows, lots of light, character, and an OPEN OPEN floor plan. I'm having a hard time finding unique, privately own apartment buildings online. Kinda at a lost for what to do...

Secondly, I want to start a Non-dairy/Vegan Ice cream business from my apartment, but starting it from my apartment is not the dilemma. I'm wondering how progressive things have gotten since I left as far as the Vegetarian/Vegan food scene? Is the market there for what I want to do? After speaking with a buyer for Whole Foods market, I was told their best sellers right now are Soy Delicious and Purely Decadent. This didn't surprise me. I've eating both, and many more brands in the Southeast region, and I believe I have something a little better to offer. My goal is to eventually get my product into retail specialty stores, and of course, the holy grail would be to see it in the freezers of Whole Foods! After doing much homework though, I've learned you must be COMPLETELY prepared to launch, and have a killer presentation to even get a meeting with Whole Foods, as well as understand that whatever your wholesale price to them is, they will add another 34.5% to that for the final sale price; meaning I need to get my cost to make the product as low as possible without sacrificing quality.

In the beginning, I'm more than happy to take orders from my apartment and do direct sales until I can build my brand and clientele. Also, to start with smaller health food/specialty stores before even dreaming of approaching Whole Foods. What's so funny is, I use to be a baker for Whole Foods before going to nursing school! Imagine years later trying to become a vendor!! LOL. In fact, I spent 6 1/2 years baking and cooking for different companies, even doing a few wedding cakes. Now, it's my turn; I'm ready for something of my very own, as I'm really just about burn out with nursing!

Am I wasting my time? Not a demographic there for this business idea? Since I'm not IN Atlanta, I thought this site would be a good way to do some market research.

What do you think? Yes? No?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 02:47 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I would give a serious look a the North Druid Hills area. Within your budget, convenient to the amenities you desire (yes, there is a Whole Foods there), and its extremely close to Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:28 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Hey No2M, Atlanta is becoming more vegan friendly. I organize a vegan Meetup group; we'd love to have you join and to sample your ice cream. We are even having a VegFest in midtown on November 9th. Someone I know started a raw cheesecake business. Today I went to a vegan coffee shop that was OTP....in Cumming! So both Atlanta ITP and OTP are becoming more vegan friendly. There are two vegan restaurants in the burbs (Loving Hut in Norcross and now sandy Springs).

I admire your entrepreneurial spirit and you just never know. A vegan friend moved from Toronto, which is very vegan friendly, to Houston (not so much). BUT---Houston has a raw vegan restaurant.....in a hospital, no less, run by a cardiologist who also does a nutritional boot camp! Maybe you could so something similar, with your nursing background!

Private message me if you'd like to talk more or if you;'d like a link to my MU group.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 PM

554 posts, read 977,400 times
The hard thing about getting into WF is that you will need a ton of documentation. If you are trying to get your product certified organic, expect to spend a few thousand on documentations and a lot of extra money spent keeping in compliance. WF is pretty good about working with local vendors.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:07 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
In GA, you won't be allowed to produce food for retail sale in an apartment kitchen. (or a home kitchen for that matter.) However, a niche market has popped up to help entrepreneurs like you -- places you can rent commercial kitchen space to prepare food for retail sale. Here is just an example --

Commercial Kitchens For Rent - Independent Kitchen Solutions

Metro Atlanta (during Spring through mid Fall) has lots of farmers markets. You could try and figure out which of those might be a good place to launch your product.

google GA organics for an idea of local markets.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
In GA, you won't be allowed to produce food for retail sale in an apartment kitchen. (or a home kitchen for that matter.) However, a niche market has popped up to help entrepreneurs like you -- places you can rent commercial kitchen space to prepare food for retail sale. Here is just an example --

Commercial Kitchens For Rent - Independent Kitchen Solutions

Metro Atlanta (during Spring through mid Fall) has lots of farmers markets. You could try and figure out which of those might be a good place to launch your product.

google GA organics for an idea of local markets.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, The Georgia Dept. of Agriculture passed the "Cottage Law" last year, which now allows people to run food businesses from home. You do, however, have to have the Health Dept come in and inspect to receive a license. You also can have NO PETS, must keep things at a certain temperature, and your business food items and your family's must be stored separately.

Thanks by the way for the commercial kitchen info! Very helpful!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
The hard thing about getting into WF is that you will need a ton of documentation. If you are trying to get your product certified organic, expect to spend a few thousand on documentations and a lot of extra money spent keeping in compliance. WF is pretty good about working with local vendors.
Oh yes, I'm aware of the documentation. Especially since I want my ice cream to have a "certified organic" label. Note that I mentioned getting into smaller establishments first. Whole Foods is a down the road goal.

Do you know of any resources where I can get specific info on the exact cost of documentation? Thanks!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Hey No2M, Atlanta is becoming more vegan friendly. I organize a vegan Meetup group; we'd love to have you join and to sample your ice cream. We are even having a VegFest in midtown on November 9th. Someone I know started a raw cheesecake business. Today I went to a vegan coffee shop that was OTP....in Cumming! So both Atlanta ITP and OTP are becoming more vegan friendly. There are two vegan restaurants in the burbs (Loving Hut in Norcross and now sandy Springs).

I admire your entrepreneurial spirit and you just never know. A vegan friend moved from Toronto, which is very vegan friendly, to Houston (not so much). BUT---Houston has a raw vegan restaurant.....in a hospital, no less, run by a cardiologist who also does a nutritional boot camp! Maybe you could so something similar, with your nursing background!

Private message me if you'd like to talk more or if you;'d like a link to my MU group.
Thanks so much for info! I think I had seen something online during some of my random research about vegetarianism/veganism meet ups in ATL. I won't be home again until Christmas, so Nov 9th I probably won't make. My moving home won't be until sometime this coming summer or end of next year; plus, I'm still in the recipe testing phase with my ice cream flavors.

Believe me, I won't forget you guys when I get there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta