Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,677 times

Advertisements

Hello
I need to figure out the best approach to replaced failed gas furnaces. Both are 21 years old. I have home warranty insurance with American Home Shield but they are not going to help with replacement cost because they say the units failed due to being dirty and improperly maintained. (that may or may not be the reason for failure. I think they died of old age) At any rate they both need to be replaced. I was wondering if I need to replace both air conditioning units at the same time since they are also 21 years old. ( As old as the house). Will new furnaces be compatible with old air conditioning units? Anyone know of reasonable reputable contractors that could do the work? What does it costs? Will I have to take a 2nd mortage on the house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 11:35 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,300,665 times
At a minimum you'll want to replace the AC coils that are located at the furnaces- that will keep the new furnaces from having to be disassembled when the coils eventually do go, and will also help the new furnaces run better, as the high-efficiency furnaces won't have to push air across a 20 y/o, dirty coil. I'd be surprised if the condenser units outside are actually 20 y/o, as they rarely (if ever) last that long, so those may be able to stay. If they are 20 y/o, I'd dump them too, as they're grossly inefficient.

The furnaces alone will probably run you +/- $2500-3,000 each to replace depending on size and accessability. Add another $800-1,000 each for the coils, and around another $1,500-2,000 each for the condensers.

Hope that helps, and doesn't break the bank too much.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:30 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,899,955 times
I have used Cunningham Heating and Air and was very pleased. They were able to sell me a one year old AC unit that they had installed in another home and the owner "wanted more" after one year. Their first estimate was high, but that was with all the bells and whistles of zoning, variable speed... (I also had to replace the upstairs furnace). After cutting out some of what we felt were just extras, their estimate was very reasonable. They were great guys - neat, polite and did the job correctly the first time!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,689,453 times
I has Assured Comfort replace both the AC and gas furnance with a heat pump a few years ago which is backed up by a high efficiency gas furnance. No problems with it or with Assured- they still come out every year and do maintenance on it. And the utility bills look much better too. The gas furnace only comes on if it is below about 27 degrees and it only came on a few days last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta