Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 11:57 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,027,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Go visit the general Texas forum and there is always a debate between the two. Gets childish, but it does seem like the Houstonians are much more snippy about it. Much like the Georgia forum where a couple of Augustans and Columbusites have to continually argue which one of their cities are the next great thing happening in Georgia, lol.
This doesn't make any sense because the people from Augusta hardly get involved into the debates...

Every thread comparing the 2nd tier cities in Georgia, the posters from both Savannah and Columbus usually tend to gang up on Augusta.

The most recent thread(next large Georgia metro) had zero people from Augusta involved until I commented much later on(the majority of comments were from Columbus and Savannah residents).. The same thread also had many people from Savannah saying they were the next great thing..

Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,085,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The fact of the matter is that you didn't explore downtown enough to know that two huge stadiums exist there, then you obviously didn't explore it enough to say what absolutely does not exist there.

Your credibility is shot, and there's no way around that. So whether you see me as being insecure or not, like I said, atleast I know what I'm talking about when it comes to Atlanta. You've already proved that you can't say as much. Have a seat.
Yes, like I'm going to explore an area surrounded by parking lots or explore around a stadium. That's smart. That's like tourists in Atlanta exploring around the GA Dome as if there's anything there to explore anyway. I wasn't in downtown long. There was almost nothing to do there and wasn't much people on the streets. I was in Houston visiting a friend and I asked him if we can see downtown. This was over 2 years ago. Maybe things changed? I don't know, but I doubt 2 years would change much.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:59 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,085,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
This doesn't make any sense because the people from Augusta hardly get involved into the debates...

The most recent thread(next large Georgia metro) also had many people from Savannah saying they are the next great thing..
You're the worst offender of it LOL. Look at your location. At least Savannah is a nice looking city.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,266,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post

Every thread comparing the 2nd tier cities in Georgia, the posters from both Savannah and Columbus usually tend to gang up on Augusta.

The most recent thread(next large Georgia metro) had zero people from Augusta involved until I commented much later on(the majority of comments were from Columbus and Savannah residents).. The same thread also had many people from Savannah saying they were the next great thing..
I love Augusta.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,829,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Just check on my comparison on page 2.

Downtown is more urban than Sweet Auburn, Sweet Auburn is more urban than Morningside, Morningside is more urban than Druid Hills. Using them as types of neighborhoods.

likewise Atlanta ring goes DT plus MT to Sweet Auburn to Morningside, to Druid Hills type neighborhoods

Using that framework Houston goes. DT to Morningside to Morningside to Morningside to Morningside on and on.

Houston doesn't have Sweet Auburn, O4W and etc type urban neighborhoods it basically skip this ring and go into Morningside like neighborhoods forever in a grid.

So on one end ATL core is more urban
On the other outside of cores Houston is more urban.
i've noticed this before also— atlanta has more census tracts that exceed 10,000 people per square mile(even has a couple that exceed 20,000 ppsm), while houston only has one or two— but on the same token, houston is more uniformly dense as a whole, with tons of tracts at 3,000 ppsm or above, where we have lots of forest and rural land inside the perimeter.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:53 PM

23,347 posts, read 43,816,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I love Augusta.
I know, right? The city has some lovely neighborhoods. It has crazy good potential, as does Columbus. The reworking of their riverfront was an amazing feat. Who knows what it will lead to?

Old 10-31-2013, 05:17 PM

322 posts, read 583,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Go visit the general Texas forum and there is always a debate between the two. Gets childish, but it does seem like the Houstonians are much more snippy about it. Much like the Georgia forum where a couple of Augustans and Columbusites have to continually argue which one of their cities are the next great thing happening in Georgia, lol.
Lol...I know what you mean. I have read thought some of the thread in the Georgia forum and Columbusites seem to be very defensive. So do the Savannahians(I think thats what they are called).

Old 10-31-2013, 05:35 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,356,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Boosting isn't the same thing as being honest. When I talk about Atlanta in a positive or negative way, I'm being honest. I'm still hated by 90% of the Atlanta forum due to my harsh criticism of the city. I just hate Houston more than Atlanta so I really have nothing positive to say about the city. I mean, it has jobs and a good economy, but to me, there's nothing positive about it outside of that. Atlanta might have not the jobs or economy that Houston has, but I find it a more bustling and exciting city than Houston which isn't saying much because in relation to cities like SF and NYC, Atlanta is not that bustling or exciting either.

Let's not get it twisted that me hating Houston with a passion means that I'm boosting Atlanta and that I like living here. That couldn't be further from the truth. I just have no real desire to ever go back to Houston in my life again.
Well that's unfortunate. I prefer Houston to Atlanta but could easily live in both and considering that I like urban cities more than suburban cities, I would even prefer these two to Boston. I would love to visit cities that always improve on civics, entertainment, infrastructure, etc.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:25 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,805,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -StarBright- View Post
Lol...I know what you mean. I have read thought some of the thread in the Georgia forum and Columbusites seem to be very defensive. So do the Savannahians(I think thats what they are called).
Savannahians have nothing to be defensive about. It's the 2nd-best metro (and some would say best city) in Georgia after Atlanta, and the whole world knows it.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,338,247 times
Our sprawl is bigger than your sprawl.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta