Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
So that everyone is clear...

The American South
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
South Carolina
Louisiana
North Florida (roughly everything north of Orlando)
Tennessee
North Carolina
Arkansas (including present-day Missouri bootheel and present-day Missouri south of U.S. 60)
Kentucky (minus Cincinnati suburbs)
South Virginia (roughly south of a line from just north of Richmond over to Charlottesville, but curving north a bit to include a lot of the Shenandoah Valley; also including a few contiguous parts of present-day West Virginia)

U.S. Route 60 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:US 60 map.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
*US 60 is actually a decent line for the (rough) northern limits of the American South...stopping at the Oklahoma border.
Oh, we don't need none of that backup stuff, Aries! Just ask my wife.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,944 times
Viva el norte de Mexico.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
On the original topic. From the air when flying into Atlanta and Houston I was floored the first time I flew into Houston as the sheer number of buildings I promise you I thought I was flying into Chicago for a second, Houston is massive. Coming from a well traveled North Carolinian. Atlanta is large but by all accounts Houston feels and looks way bigger and has highways for dayssss.
If you're so well traveled, then I would think you would know Chicago looks way bigger from the air from Houston does LOL.

It's not even close.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:36 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Oh my. I think the planes over Houston are too close together. Isn't there a two mile or so requirement????

Old 11-05-2013, 02:38 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post

Amen.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:

Texas is Texan
Correct. No other state I visited has so much of their own identity like Texas does. Didn't care to live there, but very much admire their state pride.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:57 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Correct. No other state I visited has so much of their own identity like Texas does. Didn't care to live there, but very much admire their state pride.

(see bolded above)

Me too.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Oh my. I think the planes over Houston are too close together. Isn't there a two mile or so requirement????
I thought the same thing LOL!

Here's something else: We're all the time hearing about how much "denser" other cities are than Atlanta, yet in both of those photos I see blocks and blocks of nothingness. I can only assume that all those vacant lots SW of downtown Chicago are the result of failed "urban renewal." But what's Houston's excuse? Central Atlanta is far more dense than that!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Well, as I stated before, your wife only agrees with the minority of all Texans, in my experience. Her opinion certainly isnt any more valid than mine.

Ive met many Southeasterners who previously didnt consider Texas the South, but, after living here, have no doubt it is.

I cant force anyone to change their opinion, but I know what I know.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
So that everyone is clear...

The American South
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
South Carolina
Louisiana
North Florida (roughly everything north of Orlando)
Tennessee
North Carolina
Arkansas (including present-day Missouri bootheel and present-day Missouri south of U.S. 60)
Kentucky (minus Cincinnati suburbs)
South Virginia (roughly south of a line from just north of Richmond over to Charlottesville, but curving north a bit to include a lot of the Shenandoah Valley; also including a few contiguous parts of present-day West Virginia)

U.S. Route 60 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:US 60 map.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
*US 60 is actually a decent line for the (rough) northern limits of the American South...stopping at the Oklahoma border.
From 3 years in the 80s and my current ten years here in the DFW area, it is the south, especially everything west of I-35 and north of 1-10. Carry that on up through Oklahoma as well. The main reason I balk at the notion of Texans who don't think they are southern is the Texan pride thing... taken that they are better than the rest of the south. Well they aren't dang it.

There is the Mexican influence that you don't find in the rest of the south but that is because it is the "Western South" as Texas Reb calls it. But here are the reasons Texas is the south through and through:

Accent: Definitely southern. It has its own Texas twist, but there is as much of a variation within the rest of the south on the southern accent. There is more of a difference in Georgia Mountain southern and coastal Georgia southern accents as there is between Texas and the rest of the south.

Settlement: Texas was primarily settled be southerners from eastern states. Tennesseans were here in huge numbers. My anecdotal research (me asking where Texans where there ancestors came to Texas from) would show Tennessee in the top spot.

Religion: The preponderance of conservative evangelicals led by the Southern Baptist Convention is huge in Texas. The south is considered the bible belt. Texas is the buckle.

History: Texas was a member of the confederacy, a slave state and has an agricultural history totally in line with the rest of the south. It does add the ranching part of agriculture, but that is because it is the "western" south. That fact doesnt make it NOT the south.

Politics: Texas is a red state, as red as any in the south and redder than some.

Cuisine: Again, there is a Texas twist, but each state has its own twist on the southern diet. Less dependence on veggies and more on beef and there is the Tex-Mex thing happening because of the nearness to Mexico. Grits and Sweet Tea are found most places.

Texas has more in common with the rest of the south than Louisiana IMHO. The French Cajun influence there makes it much more different than the rest of the south, but no one would argue that Louisiana isn't southern. It is unique for sure, it is Texas, but it is still solidly the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta