Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 04:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,248,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You caint get more Southern than me brother/sister--
Don't bet your life on it.

And I'm sure most people would agree that the "core" of the South, today, is the Deep South, which Atlanta is hardly a part of. Distance wise, I'm practically as close to Mississippi as you are.

Atlantans have to make a road trip to see things like Spanish moss, live oaks, bayous, or old cotton plantations. These things are right down the street from me.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 PM

10,732 posts, read 13,265,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Kind of ironic to see that Southerners say they don't feel superior to anyone LOL when the whole region is historically known for acting if they are superior to people who aren't like them. I'm sure you know what I mean.
How do you mean, Ant, that the whole region is know for acting superior? I've got to admit, I've never noticed this in a half century plus...

Old 11-13-2013, 10:20 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,659,331 times
I googled "deep south definition" and most of the initial results placed Georgia as one of the states "usually included" in the definition.
It doesn't matter if in north Georgia we are absent from a bayou or if we don't have Spanish moss hanging from the trees in the front yard. It's still the heart of the deep south & what you are specifically referring to are merely characteristics of various part of the deep south.
My section of suburban south Atlanta is Margaret Mitchell's original stomping ground & is comprised of old farm & plantation land. There is a preserved 1838 plantation house standing about 2 miles from my home. Can't get anymore Deep than that.
http://http://www.historicaljonesboro.org/

Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,200,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I googled "deep south definition" and most of the initial results placed Georgia as one of the states "usually included" in the definition.
It doesn't matter if in north Georgia we are absent from a bayou or if we don't have Spanish moss hanging from the trees in the front yard. It's still the heart of the deep south & what you are specifically referring to are merely characteristics of various part of the deep south.
My section of suburban south Atlanta is Margaret Mitchell's original stomping ground & is comprised of old farm & plantation land. There is a preserved 1838 plantation house standing about 2 miles from my home. Can't get anymore Deep than that.
Don't worry about it. Nairobi lives in a bit a of fantasy world where Houston is very Southern, beauty abounds in pine trees and flat lands, and the temps aren't really that hot.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,248,349 times
Quote:
I'm not denying the Southern heritage of the Atlanta area, and I simply have no basis to. But aries' statement that Atlanta is located in "the core" of the South was made in such a way as to suggest that his region was more southern than most, giving him the authority to decide who does and doesn't belong. My only real point is that it doesn't mean as much as he thinks it does. Not to me, anyway.

When I think of the Deep South or "the core", I instantly think of Mississippi, and I'm sure most people do as well. I can't ever remember someone from MS challenging the idea of Houston being a southern city. But that has a lot to do with the fact that there's more of an affinity between Eastern Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Western Tennessee, and Mississippi.

I'm also not trying to suggest that Houston is more southern than Atlanta, but the former does have certain attributes in its landscape and history that are decidedly more typically southern than what you find in the latter. Grits? I never had a bowl in Atlanta better than my own or my granny's. But, at the end of the day, while living in Atlanta, I still felt a small sense of home. I was comfortable just from still being in the South, and knew that I had more in common with folks from Georgia than people from Austin, which is only a few hours away.

My suggestion to Georgians is that y'all just get to know the state of Texas better. You may be fascinated and even surprised at what you discover.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 PM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm not denying the Southern heritage of the Atlanta area, and I simply have no basis to. But aries' statement that Atlanta is located in "the core" of the South was made in such a way as to suggest that his region was more southern than most, giving him the authority to decide who does and doesn't belong. My only real point is that it doesn't mean as much as he thinks it does. Not to me, anyway.

When I think of the Deep South or "the core", I instantly think of Mississippi, and I'm sure most people do as well. I can't ever remember someone from MS challenging the idea of Houston being a southern city. But that has a lot to do with the fact that there's more of an affinity between Eastern Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Western Tennessee, and Mississippi.

I'm also not trying to suggest that Houston is more southern than Atlanta, but the former does have certain attributes in its landscape and history that are decidedly more typically southern than what you find in the latter. Grits? I never had a bowl in Atlanta better than my own or my granny's. But, at the end of the day, while living in Atlanta, I still felt a small sense of home. I was comfortable just from still being in the South, and knew that I had more in common with folks from Georgia than people from Austin, which is only a few hours away.

My suggestion to Georgians is that y'all just get to know the state of Texas better. You may be fascinated and even surprised at what you discover.
Right back aatcha. ..

Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,288,455 times
Quote:

Amen.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,288,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm not denying the Southern heritage of the Atlanta area, and I simply have no basis to. But aries' statement that Atlanta is located in "the core" of the South was made in such a way as to suggest that his region was more southern than most...
Not only is Atlanta located in "the core" of the South, it is the de-facto Capital of the American South.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,819,315 times
i agree with nairobi. we don't really feel all that "deep south" here, and to argue that the atlanta area still falls under the definition of the 'deep south' is a poor argument. georgia (especially atlanta, macon, augusta, and the coastal areas) has long been different from true "deep south" areas like alabama and mississippi in terms of both culture, racial discrimination, food, accents, etc. we really hold more in common with south carolina, north carolina, virginia and also places in tennessee than we do with the rest of the "south". those are also "southern" states but i don't think anyone would call those part of the "deep south".

i think increasingly our region has more ties to the rest of the south atlantic states, the "colonial" definition of the south rather than "deep south". it's just an opinion, but i think most people would agree that atlanta has just as much in common with baltimore/DC as it does with houston, and is most in common with cities like charlotte in terms of culture.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 PM

18,927 posts, read 43,225,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i agree with nairobi. we don't really feel all that "deep south" here, and to argue that the atlanta area still falls under the definition of the 'deep south' is a poor argument. georgia (especially atlanta, macon, augusta, and the coastal areas) has long been different from true "deep south" areas like alabama and mississippi in terms of both culture, racial discrimination, food, accents, etc. we really hold more in common with south carolina, north carolina, virginia and also places in tennessee than we do with the rest of the "south". those are also "southern" states but i don't think anyone would call those part of the "deep south".

i think increasingly our region has more ties to the rest of the south atlantic states, the "colonial" definition of the south rather than "deep south". it's just an opinion, but i think most people would agree that atlanta has just as much in common with baltimore/DC as it does with houston, and is most in common with cities like charlotte in terms of culture.
North Alabama (Huntsville-Decatur) doesn't feel like the Deep South to me either, feels like a totally different state than it does down here near Mobile, which by the way I think has more in common with Savannah and Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta