Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
North Alabama (Huntsville-Decatur) doesn't feel like the Deep South to me either, feels like a totally different state than it does down here near Mobile, which by the way I think has more in common with Savannah and Charleston.
Coastal South has its own unique flavor, like Texas has its own unique flavor, like the Blue Ridge Mountains have their own unique flavor. Just because one area feels different from another does not make one more southern than another. All are equally the south.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:22 PM

16,699 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Y'all:

The Deep South is Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, and North Florida.

That's it.

What is this "feel" non-sense that some of you are championing?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Given that the western edge of metro Atlanta abuts the state line of Alabama & that the heart of the city of Atlanta is only 70 miles from that state, I'd be pretty certain that our tie-ins with the nearby areas of Alabama are infitnitely more closely connected than they are to the states to our east & northeast which lie in the lower mid Atlantic corridor.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Right back aatcha. ..
Hey, I've never pretended to be an expert on Georgia, but I think that even you would agree that I know more about it than most of those jokers know about Texas.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm not denying the Southern heritage of the Atlanta area, and I simply have no basis to. But aries' statement that Atlanta is located in "the core" of the South was made in such a way as to suggest that his region was more southern than most, giving him the authority to decide who does and doesn't belong. My only real point is that it doesn't mean as much as he thinks it does. Not to me, anyway.

When I think of the Deep South or "the core", I instantly think of Mississippi, and I'm sure most people do as well. I can't ever remember someone from MS challenging the idea of Houston being a southern city. But that has a lot to do with the fact that there's more of an affinity between Eastern Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Western Tennessee, and Mississippi.

I'm also not trying to suggest that Houston is more southern than Atlanta, but the former does have certain attributes in its landscape and history that are decidedly more typically southern than what you find in the latter. Grits? I never had a bowl in Atlanta better than my own or my granny's. But, at the end of the day, while living in Atlanta, I still felt a small sense of home. I was comfortable just from still being in the South, and knew that I had more in common with folks from Georgia than people from Austin, which is only a few hours away.

My suggestion to Georgians is that y'all just get to know the state of Texas better. You may be fascinated and even surprised at what you discover.
The definition of the "Deep South" is outdated.If you simply mean the "Old" South then yes ,Atlanta is not that anymore.Especially compared to Mississippi or Alabama.

However if the current variations that are what the Deep South is today then Atlanta is all of that plus SOME of what is the Old South.At least its history harkens back to that period somewhat.

I mean Gone With Wind is about the buring of Atlanta!Does not get much more "Deep South: than that imagery.
Just take a tour of Downtown Jonesboro,Fayetteville,Newnan,Conyers,or many of the other old cities with huge old plantation style homes and Deep South architecture.

As far as Texasus concerned,I lived From Wichita Falls,Dallas,San Antonio,and El Paso.I have also visted Houston and other smaller towns like Lubbock,Abilene,and Amarilo.
I saw the good bad and the ugly.

The only place I could want to ever live is San Antonio.Its got HUGE potential but definately needs rail and more intown developement in its huge city limits.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Given that the western edge of metro Atlanta abuts the state line of Alabama & that the heart of the city of Atlanta is only 70 miles from that state, I'd be pretty certain that our tie-ins with the nearby areas of Alabama are infitnitely more closely connected than they are to the states to our east & northeast which lie in the lower mid Atlantic corridor.
Honey, the "western edge" of Metro ATL (i.e. East Alabama) has NOTHING in common with the Metro ATL ... except that people who live over there work in Carroll and Douglas counties. END OF DISCUSSION!

It's still EAST ALABAMA ... and ALABAMA is a world removed from Georgia, just saying ...

Old 11-15-2013, 02:02 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
I don't understand why people in Atlanta care so much with being associated with the Deep South. The Deep South generally comprises of racists, close minded bigots, low education standards, rather poor, sprawling, and very provincial. There's really nothing positive I can can associate the deep South with. At all.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:17 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't understand why people in Atlanta care so much with being associated with the Deep South. The Deep South generally comprises of racists, close minded bigots, low education standards, rather poor, sprawling, and very provincial. There's really nothing positive I can can associate the deep South with. At all.
Charleston and Savannah are the deep South.They are fairly open minded cities.
New Orleans,Mobile is also the Deep South.

the Deep South gave America alot,You have to accept the good with the bad.Its not nearly all bad as you seem to suggest.

The Deep South was the epic center for what has become more integrated than other so called areas that only on the surface appear more progressive but dig deeper you have the exact same issues with the exception of poverty and lower educational attainment.

The Deep South is not collectively what it once was.There ar pockets that differ greatly from one another but it's STILL all the Deep South.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:06 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
There's really nothing positive I can can associate the deep South with. At all.
That's not surprising

Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
News
My point of mentioning the nearness of Alabama on our metro west frontier was that metro Atlanta, especially the west metro, has far more in common & much more interconnectivity with that area of eastern Alabama than it has with the coastal southern mid Atlantic states, incl. N.C., S.C. & Va. which one writer claimed to be more inter-related with us. (I'm paraphrasing what he wrote.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta