Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,624,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
And the places ranked higher than us, actually have alternatives. We have NONE!

Not an option for most.
You have none out near SC but we have options ITP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 PM

32,009 posts, read 36,668,783 times
Quote:
And the places ranked higher than us, actually have alternatives. We have NONE!
Public transit is certainly not an option if you elect to live many miles away from it. In order to make public transit work you have to settle somewhere close to it (or convince your local government to run it out your way).

Old 11-01-2013, 03:24 PM

7,351 posts, read 6,504,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Public transit is certainly not an option if you elect to live many miles away from it. In order to make public transit work you have to settle somewhere close to it (or convince your local government to run it out your way).
I "settled" where I was born, and haven't been able to escape yet. I am tired of this elitist attitude by intowners that everyone is always able to just up and change their whole life whenever they want!

Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM

10,739 posts, read 13,331,099 times
Quote:
I "settled" where I was born, and haven't been able to escape yet. I am tired of this elitist attitude by intowners that everyone is always able to just up and change their whole life whenever they want!
That's not elitist. That is economic reality.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM

32,009 posts, read 36,668,783 times
Quote:
I just don't understand how you can live a long way away from transit and then complain that you are too far away from transit.

MARTA does a pretty decent job of covering the 800 square miles in Fulton and DeKalb. GRTA, Cobb and Gwinnett also offer public transit lines that connect with the MARTA system.

If you can't find some satisfactory place to live within those areas, then frankly -- and no offense intended -- that's your own doing.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I just don't understand how you can live a long way away from transit and then complain that you are too far away from transit.

MARTA does a pretty decent job of covering the 800 square miles in Fulton and DeKalb. GRTA, Cobb and Gwinnett also offer public transit lines that connect with the MARTA system.

If you can't find some satisfactory place to live within those areas, then frankly -- and no offense intended -- that's your own doing.

Arjay - You owe it to folks to start a shuttle service. :-)

Old 11-01-2013, 04:21 PM

7,351 posts, read 6,504,570 times
I HAVE NEVER HAD ENOUGH MONEY TO MOVE! WHAT PART OF THAT DOES THIS BOARD NOT UNDERSTAND!?!?!?!? I was born in an area with ZERO NONE NADDA transit, and reached working age right when the recession hit so there was no one hiring out here, believe me, I looked far and wide, McDonalds, Home Depot, O'charley's, mom and pop stores, I wasn't too picky, but the places were, they didn't want to hire a student. The few places I did find, it would have cost MORE in gas just to get there than I would be earning.

CCT and GCT are nothing to look at either, both have chopped routes left and right with little warning, and the routes they do have are either ridiculously long and meandering local routes, or just run during the peak periods. Transit outside the rail lines we DO have sucks.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I HAVE NEVER HAD ENOUGH MONEY TO MOVE! WHAT PART OF THAT DOES THIS BOARD NOT UNDERSTAND!?!?!?!? I was born in an area with ZERO NONE NADDA transit, and reached working age right when the recession hit so there was no one hiring out here, believe me, I looked far and wide, McDonalds, Home Depot, O'charley's, mom and pop stores, I wasn't too picky, but the places were, they didn't want to hire a student. The few places I did find, it would have cost MORE in gas just to get there than I would be earning.

CCT and GCT are nothing to look at either, both have chopped routes left and right with little warning, and the routes they do have are either ridiculously long and meandering local routes, or just run during the peak periods. Transit outside the rail lines we DO have sucks.
I was born a farm 200 miles south of here. It's about working hard and looking to take advantage of opportunities. I appreciate the fact that you and many others were amongst those so impacted by the recession that began as you were entering the work force. Yes, that does suck. After 23 years of Intown living I moved to the burbs. And, as you know, public transit isn't very convenient out here either.

As the economy improves those opportunities will start opening up for you. Just keep the faith and keep plugging away.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,105,426 times
Quote:

MARTA still has a terrible coverage for a 5.5M metro. I can point to probably 10 metros around the world with a lower metro population that has better and a more extensive transit. Most of them being in Europe and Asia where people are actually pro-transit and understand the necessity of it in a large established modern human settlement.

But hey, this is Atlanta's fault for sprawling to the point to where it's nearly 3 times larger in land area than the Paris Metro which has 2 and half times the metro population.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 PM

23,390 posts, read 43,926,501 times
I'm crying buckets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta