Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 11:05 AM

125 posts, read 227,922 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have read the reviews of Chattahoochee high school . One of the review is incompetent teachers. Milton's high school review is that most teachers are pretty average.
Are there any parents out there whose children attend these schools? What is your feedback? Please help me in my relocation research. I don't want to make any mistake as I would be relocating because of excellent schools only. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
I think you need to take those reviews with a very large grain of salt. That's the problem with sites like "Great School" -- an angry parent or even student can flare off over issues that neither you or I can possibly have knowledge of ("4 A's and 2 B's? That B is obviously from an incompetent teacher!")

They're like many other schools -- some teachers are stellar, others aren't but do a good job. Milton and Chattahoochee enjoy strong parent support, which, as everyone knows, is the 3rd leg to the stool when it comes to education: Parents, Teachers and Students. I honestly don't think there's much difference between the two of them in any given year. One year, one might a be a smidge stronger, the next year, it shifts. Not enough change, though, to stress a relocation decision.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:55 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
My kids attended Milton. We were very pleased with the communication between the school and the home. Both of my graduates got into the colleges of their choice, and are doing well, so that speaks highly of the preparation for college that high school afforded them. They took advantage of the numerous AP classes, and the dual enrollment opportunity via GA Tech.

Both boys are still in touch with several of their teachers. In fact, one teacher in particular has made a point to send out an invitation to her ex-students when she is in the Athens area, and would be happy to meet them for coffee. She always gets several acceptances.

I have to say, we were much happier with Milton than we were with the private high school our eldest attended, in FL.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Thanks a lot Mattie. I thought that dual enrollment will help only if one attends Georgia Tech. Can you please explain to me what are its benefits if someone attends some other college? I don't know about it at all so it will be a great help to me. In fact , please tell me in detail the dual enrollment program.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
No, the students end up with college credits that are transferable to other schools. My son took Calc AB and BC through Tech while enrolled at Milton, but he chose UGA over Tech for college. They appear on the student's regular class schedule, and the class is taught remotely by a Tech professor. Review sessions (very helpful before tests), are held on the Tech campus at night, and transportation falls on the student. There were 5 all together taking the class when my son did it, and they usually traveled together. They all were accepted to Tech upon graduation.

There are other offerings as well, and other colleges involved. I believe the English classes are through GA Perimeter. My son only took the math classes. Between dual enrollment and AP he started UGA with 42 credits under his belt.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:09 AM

Mattie I am doing relocation research. I was focusing on Lambert high school. Should I reconsider since Milton offers dual enrollment from Tech. Please help.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
All the Forsyth High Schools also do dual enrollment. (Lambert, SFHS, WFHS, FCHS, NFHS & Academy).

Academics & Accountability Offices / Dual Enrollment

Old 11-06-2013, 08:48 AM

550 posts, read 989,420 times
I would think that the school and district websites have information on the dual enrollment programs.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Dual enrollment can from school to school, depending on the school and the agreements they have with area colleges. There is a whole host of opportunities for gifted kids with dual enrollment, early admission, etc.: Many kids use it to knock out core curriculum requirements, such as English and basic sciences, so they have those classes under their belt when they start college. In the Georgia public college system, credits generally transfer readily from college to college, so an English course at Georgia Perimeter meets the requirements of the same English course at UGA.

Early College | Gifted Atlanta

This also lists the area colleges that participate in the dual enrollment program.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Thanks dblackga wealth of information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: