Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 AM

126 posts, read 287,899 times

Advertisements

I was just curious if anyone else is going through the admissions process this season and what their opinions are. It certainly does seem very very competitive to get in and I was wondering what others experiences are going like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznotjobs View Post
P.S--Just so you know...I know for a fact that Woodward have bought out and rents several houses/properties which surrounds their school. Maybe that can be an option if you decide on and if your child gets in! Good luck!
We have two friends who bought an extra house near Woodward to use during the school year. Prices were quite reasonable and they'll probably turn a profit when school years are done.

It sure shortens the commute!

Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Private School Reality-
your child will become best friends with the student who lives the furthest away from you.
That's one of the main reasons we've stuck with APS during elementary and middle school years. We wanted our kids (and grandkids) to be able to hang out with kids in their neighborhood.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM

I had heard that the area around Woodward i.e College Park has seen an increase in property prices due to people moving. That area also seems quite run down with the exception being the area right next to the campus, and I wonder about safety and security issues. The biggest negative that I see as we consider Woodward is it's size. It seems to have increased enrollment to the point that I'm concerned about a child getting lost in the middle and upper school. It doesn't seem to be what it once was and seems to want to increase enrollment. I feel the quality of their education will, and probably has gone down. The elementary school at the North seems to have a very easy, non rigorous curriculum and hardly any sides.....Spanish is taught only once a week. There is very limited choice of instruments in elementary band. For the tuition they are charging, they need to offer much much more. Our present school offers much more.

On the other hand, some of the Buckhead schools seem as though they would pass over some qualified students in order to accommodate legacies or to balance a class size in terms of gender, legacy, and other variables. They simply have too many applicants.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 AM

It almost seems like a waste of time to apply especially when you have multiple children for multiple grades, and go through the testing, attend open houses, and spend all that time and emotional energy...because the chances of the whole family getting in is slim or almost non-existent.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snsh5713 View Post
I had heard that the area around Woodward i.e College Park has seen an increase in property prices due to people moving. That area also seems quite run down with the exception being the area right next to the campus, and I wonder about safety and security issues.
Our friends have been totally happy with their "school homes" in College Park. Safe, affordable and extremely convenient. We are looking into doing this ourselves when our next wave of high-schoolers come through.

Yes, you are laying out a little more money up front, but when you consider the transportation savings, the wear and tear on parents, kids and cars, the tax benefits and the investment return, it's pretty doable.

See these examples:

1966 Cambridge AVE, College park, GA - MLS 07171329 - Estately

1706 Walker AVE, College Park, GA - MLS 5242794 - Estately

Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
It almost seems like a waste of time to apply especially when you have multiple children for multiple grades, and go through the testing, attend open houses, and spend all that time and emotional energy...because the chances of the whole family getting in is slim or almost non-existent.
It is a very competitive process in general and specifically much harder in the non-expansion years if you are only interested in top-tier and/or highly academic schools.

I know I have asked you this before, but why do you feel the need to move your children?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:26 AM

arjay57...thanks so much for posting those links. Those houses are quite nice and might make sense for people who are interested in Woodward and would be happy moving. The cost of the bus is about 1500 per semester (3000 per year) so it would certainly save on that. And wear and tear on the family is something to consider too....

There is one intangible though. It can mean moving far away from your own friends, family and social circle...

Old 02-08-2014, 10:31 AM

lastminutemom...to answer your question. My kids are presently in a school that only goes till the 8th grade. Also, it is a small school and though it was wonderful for the early elementary years, the curriculum is not challenging enough now and it does not have enough extracurricular choices. Also in the higher grades, the number of students drops substantially to only about 15-20 per class. They need to be moved into a bigger, more competitive pool and we want to do it now, rather than wait till the 9th grade.

Since we live in North Fulton we have limited choices of private schools, especially since a school with a strong religious curriculum and philosophy will not work for us. We are really looking for academic and extra-curricular rigor...

Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
lastminutemom...to answer your question. My kids are presently in a school that only goes till the 8th grade. Also, it is a small school and though it was wonderful for the early elementary years, the curriculum is not challenging enough now and it does not have enough extracurricular choices. Also in the higher grades, the number of students drops substantially to only about 15-20 per class. They need to be moved into a bigger, more competitive pool and we want to do it now, rather than wait till the 9th grade.

Since we live in North Fulton we have limited choices of private schools, especially since a school with a strong religious curriculum and philosophy will not work for us. We are really looking for academic and extra-curricular rigor...
So are either child going into a grade that is considered expansion next year? If so, that is the child I would focus on, knowing that once that child is in at a school, it gives an edge to qualified students.

I have had children in both public and private school. I think that "fit" is so important, and frankly, if I am spending the money I want the right place for my child.

It sounds like you are already in private or a charter school. I hope you realize that there are some really top notch public options in N. Fulton with great academics and extracurricular activities. Once you hit secondary school, public schools often do so much grouping that the top kids actually have more opportunities than at some private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta