U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 AM

246 posts, read 323,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
They need to put it somewhere where the trains go and not so many people live. People own condos and homes in Cobb and do not want to hear drunks and fireworks late at night. Secondly 40,000 more people on the roads is not going to make anybody happy out here. Alpharetta or even the old GM site in Doraville would make more sense.
I agree that the old GM site was ideal for the Falcons or Braves, but the owners want a 500% markup over retail to sell it. This came out long ago when the Falcons were considering Doraville. So while it is a great site, it was never feasible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:38 AM

6,421 posts, read 5,324,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Put the damn thing next at the dome site once they tear it down. Two new stadiums right next to each other would be amazing
I agree with Tony. I am debating this topic here in my office and I am sensing some racial undertones about this move. I really dont think Braves should be that far away from Philips and Falcons, its best to have them all close. I just dont like suburban baseball...

Old 11-11-2013, 09:41 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,380,152 times
As a Grant Park resident, I'm extremely upset about this. I love walking to the games and being able to tailgate and enjoy myself without the need to worry about driving. It's a great perk to be able to walk to a baseball game. Now, I know I'm only one person, and that is my selfish reason for being upset they are moving.

The more unselfish reason is that there are absolutely no alternatives to driving to a game now. While there wasn't a direct train connection, at least there was a 5 minute shuttle ride to get there. The nearest station now would be Arts Center - with a shuttle getting stuck in the same rush hour/game day traffic as you would in a car. Will that Maglev proposal that is completely 100% financed now move the proposed train to get from Arts Center to Cobb? That's a much longer and costlier route, but I can't see them building the Maglev train now to Summerhill without the Braves being there. I was in traffic on 75 the other day, on a normal day, and it was miserable (I really don't understand how people choose to sit in that everyday). As others have said, this move will greatly decrease how often I attend a Braves game.

I really really hope that the city doesn't let the current stadium sit there and rot now. I won't be nearly as upset as I am now about the Braves moving if the city announces they are going to do something great (mixed use) with those parking lots while incorporating the stadium. But, if it sits there, it's going to be bad news for Summerhill and the nearby sections of Grant Park.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:41 AM

246 posts, read 323,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I agree with Tony. I am debating this topic here in my office and I am sensing some racial undertones about this move. I really dont think Braves should be that far away from Philips and Falcons, its best to have them all close. I just dont like suburban baseball...
If you are seeing racial undertones, then you are looking too hard for them. All you need to look at is the map of where people live who actually buy tickets. Moving the stadium closer to them makes good BUSINESS sense. If the majority of people buying tickets came from Clayton County & not from Cobb & North Fulton, they would not be moving the stadium.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 AM

687 posts, read 589,337 times
From the Marietta Daily Journal:

The property has an easy access to the I-75, I-285, U.S. 41 and a variety of other transportation options.[LEFT]
Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Atlanta Braves moving to Cobb County
[/LEFT]

Can someone please tell me what the variety of other transportation options are?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 AM

23,115 posts, read 37,901,663 times
Boy, was this a bolt out of the blue; I knew you guys would be talking about it. I still need to get my head around it.
The only thing that doesn't change is Change itself.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 AM

329 posts, read 360,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
You do know that there are HOV lanes on 75 that run to this site, right?

You do know that we have side streets in Cobb County, right?

I will agree that this could cause issues for bypass traffic (i.e. big rigs), but I am sure they will account for that when they come out with a master plan for this whole thing.
Yeah, right. Like they accounted for "all that" when they allowed stupid rampant high rise development along 285 and the traffic that now chokes the thing 12 hours a day. Yeah, I have lots of faith in that.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 AM

329 posts, read 360,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
From the Marietta Daily Journal:

The property has an easy access to the I-75, I-285, U.S. 41 and a variety of other transportation options.
Can someone please tell me what the variety of other transportation options are?
That means you just choose the traffic jam you want to spned the next 45 minutes in. Your options will be the jam on 75, 285 or US 41!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 AM

402 posts, read 615,605 times
What are the shock wave effects of this move??? Atlanta will be losing a ton of revenue and will have a huge blight spot now on its Southeast side. I'm thinking the damage to Atlanta proper will be huge.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:49 AM

10,406 posts, read 10,514,136 times
I wonder if this will become an incentive to deploy rail to that area. Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta