Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Not in Smyrna.
Sorry, allow me to be more scientific. It's in unincorporated Cobb County about 950' from the Smyrna City border, and about 8,500' from the Atlanta city border.

Conclusion: it's in freakin' Smyrna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,193 times
Ok, here is my two cents. I cannot wait for the funding mechanism to be laid out. Hotel tax? Business Tax? Property Tax? I can't wait until they tell some of the most anti tax people in Metro Atlanta that they will have to foot a 450mm out of 672mm project, when the City of Atlanta are paying 200mm for a 1.2billion stadium. POPCORN READY!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Turner Field:
Cobb County folks: reverse-commute down I-75, then maybe 2 miles in traffic.
North Fulton folks: reverse-commute down 400, then 5 miles in traffic or the Red Line to Five Points then the Braves Shuttle.
Gwinnett folks: reverse-commute down I-85 then 5 miles in traffic or park and ride from Doraville and take the Gold Line to Five Points then the Braves Shuttle.

The new stadium:
Cobb County folks: reverse-commute down I-75 or backroads, then 2 miles in traffic.
North Fulton folks: reverse-commute down 400, then 8 miles of hardly-moving up traffic; no real transit option.
Gwinnett folks: reverse-commute down I-85 then 12 miles of hardly-moving traffic; no real transit option.
There is no such thing as a reverse commute relating to the downtown connector. All of your miles of traffic need to be bumped up to 5-10 miles realistically to the current stadium.

You are also assuming there won't be any transit options to the new stadium and I would think it is too early to assume CCT and MARTA won't expand the bus service from Arts Center which is only a 15 minute drive and really isn't longer than walking through Underground and catching the shuttle there.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So do you advocate changing the name of the airport to "Clayton County/College Park Int'l Airport?"
Hartsfield Jackson Monroe Madison Jefferson Adams Washington College Park Fulton County Clayton County Airport and Rental Car Facility.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post

You are also assuming there won't be any transit options to the new stadium and I would think it is too early to assume CCT and MARTA won't expand the bus service from Arts Center which is only a 15 minute drive at 3am at night.
fixed

Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
Turner Field's current location stinks. Close to cool, but no cigar. It is the hood...sugarcoat it all you want...its a dumpy area.

That being said...stadiums in the burbs just aren't the same to me. Been to the Redskins games in Landover, MD and I feel like I need a passport stamp and a canteen. Not to mention the pregame atmosphere isn't all that great. Same for Rangers games when I was in college...just not the same.

The current location of the GA dome would have been perfect, but...Cobb offered the money so off they go. Bye. I doubt I will go up there, but good luck.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
ok, here is my two cents. I cannot wait for the funding mechanism to be laid out. Hotel tax? Business tax? Property tax? I can't wait until they tell some of the most anti tax people in metro atlanta that they will have to foot a 450mm out of 672mm project, when the city of atlanta are paying 200mm for a 1.2billion stadium. Popcorn ready!
omg this.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Turner Field:
Cobb County folks: reverse-commute down I-75, then maybe 2 miles in traffic.
North Fulton folks: reverse-commute down 400, then 5 miles in traffic or the Red Line to Five Points then the Braves Shuttle.
Gwinnett folks: reverse-commute down I-85 then 5 miles in traffic or park and ride from Doraville and take the Gold Line to Five Points then the Braves Shuttle.

The new stadium:
Cobb County folks: reverse-commute down I-75 or backroads, then 2 miles in traffic.
North Fulton folks: reverse-commute down 400, then 8 miles of hardly-moving up traffic; no real transit option.
Gwinnett folks: reverse-commute down I-85 then 12 miles of hardly-moving traffic; no real transit option.
I don't get why people are having such a difficult time grasping this. The argument just simply can't be made that the new location will provide better access for the entire customer base as a whole. If the Braves are deciding that they want to locate their stadium to be convenient ONLY to the portion of the ticket-purchasing group that lives in the NW suburbs, that's obviously their prerogative, but people really should stop pretending it's somehow objectively more fair this way when huge chunks of the customer base are going to be faced with an excruciating ordeal to get to games, if they're not precluded from being able to go altogether.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
No one in the media is mentioning it but this is all about money - The Braves made an offer to the city of Atlanta asking for $100 million then Cobb offers to pay $450 million of a $672 million new stadium. In comparison the new Falcons stadium only has $200 million out of 1.2 billion of public financing. Sure, they spin their fan base is up north, location didnt work etc but the big factor is clearly getting a new modern stadium paid mostly by the public.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
No one in the media is mentioning it but this is all about money - The Braves made an offer to the city of Atlanta asking for $100 million then Cobb offers to pay $450 million of a $672 million new stadium. In comparison the new Falcons stadium only has $200 million out of 1.2 billion of public financing. Sure, they spin their fan base is up north, location didnt work etc but the big factor is clearly getting a new modern stadium paid mostly by the public.
If taxpayers can't vote on the deal, I hope this burns Cobb's finances to the ground. They deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta