Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A quote from the Chairman of the Cobb County GOP on the plans:

Cobb GOP chairman: Braves transportation fixes can't include 'moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta' | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Quote:
It is absolutely necessary the solution is all about moving cars in and around Cobb and surrounding counties from our north and east where most Braves fans travel from, and not moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta.
So in other words, anyone who thought that there might be a rail connection to Galleria/Cumberland can forget about it.

This actually makes me more made than the news about the Braves moving. It's clear that the sentiment among the big wigs in Cobb county is that this is their team now, not Atlanta's. My personal boycott now extends to the entirety of Cobb county.
very blatantly racist comment here. He completed skipped the city of Atlanta.
Quote:
That's the only reason he'd toss out an utterly ridiculous line like "moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta" when rail would benefit Cobb FAR FAR more than anyone in Atlanta.
Rail transit would benefit the Cumberland CBD. Its lagging behind other business districts that have rail, eg: Perimeter, Buckhead, Midtown, and Downtown.
Quote:
they still will be the Atlanta braves but just playing in the suburbs instead of the city. quite a few pro teams play in the suburbs still. the nfl giants and jets even play in another state across the river in new jersey but new York still claims them. yall will be fine.
Not many MLB teams play in the suburbs. Most have relocated to the city when their new stadiums were built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 07:28 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Wow, this really sucks for Atlanta. I'm so sorry.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I heard something yesterday that the Braves said 6% of fans came by transit. I don't have a link for that though.
They stated this during their press conference during the announcement. But I believe they were speaking specifically of their season ticket holders and not regular day to day attendees. Even though my own family goes to a lot of baseball games IMO (we usually go to at least 10 per season, usually more than that) we are not season ticket holders. They have a special salesperson come to Peachtree Center Mall every year and sell really good priced tickets - basically 4 tickets for $40 and included in the booklet you get 12 BOGO free tickets and I usually get two packs and go to 24-26 games. We have taken the shuttle to the field before and it is usually jam packed.

I actually was thinking that if they got a rail line to Cumberland, I would love to go to games up there, but since Cobb officials don't want us "Atlanta" folks, I'll just stay in Atlanta and get more involved in our little league play.

And to think, I was hoping that Cobb was becoming more cosmopolitan and thinking of becoming the next "place" so to speak. Like another poster said, practically all the other business districts have rail. I don't understand the reason Cobb doesn't want it, it would be so convenient for visitors to the new ball park and for Cobb residents in general.

I am not one to label someone as a racist based on their transit views, but one cannot call themselves a "conservative" yet shell out hundreds of millions of dollars for a ball park and then decide to "save money" by not increasing transportation options. If anything, they should have made a better deal in Cobb with the Braves. Even though I am not all that gung ho about the Falcon's new stadium (especially after learning last night they are cutting Vine City off, once again, from downtown via the closing of MLK at Northside Dr.) at least the city is not putting up the majority of the money and the state is kicking in to help with traffic (and hopefully transit) improvements. I don't see why the Braves wouldn't want to be good stewards and try to increase MARTA options for their fans. I bet if they provided a train for us Atlanta folks and south metro people to get to Cobb, that more people would take that option versus driving and getting stuck in traffic hell at Cobb Cloverleaf. I know I would.

The more I think about it, the more I know I will not be able to go to games anymore. It is sad so I will make sure to go to the Ted over the next couple of years to get my fill of baseball. Baseball is my favorite sport - I cannot stand all the noise at Hawks games and am not all that into football so the Braves are like a spa visit to me and I will miss going to the games.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
You guys should read Jay Bookman's column in today's AJC. He makes some very good points on this topic.
Is this only in print?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Is this only in print?
I don't know. Sorry. I read it in the print version.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
You guys should read Jay Bookman's column in today's AJC. He makes some very good points on this topic.
On Braves deal, Cobb officials act like they have something to... | Jay Bookman | www.ajc.com

He does, and those good points are all up front in the piece. We don't know anything about the plan, or even if there really is one yet. We don't know how much the public financing will be, or where it will come from. We don't have any details on how transportation challenges will be addressed. Bookman doesn't mention it in his piece, but the county has said it will disclose those details this week.

Having noted that we don't actually know anything about the proposal, Bookman then spends the majority of the column speculating about the details and what a bad deal it will be for Cobb. Hey, columnists have to meet deadlines, but I'd just as soon reserve my righteous outrage until I know something.

(Bookman also perpetuates the "furloughed teachers" strawman, which drives me crazy.)

Old 11-13-2013, 07:58 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Even though I am not all that gung ho about the Falcon's new stadium (especially after learning last night they are cutting Vine City off, once again, from downtown via the closing of MLK at Northside Dr.)
They're not closing MLK. It's being bent around the stadium where Mitchell Street currently is:

Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
They're not closing MLK. It's being bent around the stadium where Mitchell Street currently is:
I went to our NPU last night and they told us that the bend, which we all thought was going to be in place as well based on your drawing, is not the final drawing and that they intend to close that portion of MLK and re-route traffic to Mitchell, not via a new MLK but we will have to make a 90 degree turn from Northside to Mitchell to get to downtown. and that the former MLK will be turned into a "grand boulevard."

People were upset as they all thought that your drawing is what was going to happen. Maybe the person who came though didn't know what they were talking about, that happens when presenters are in front of semi-angry people lol.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 AM

246 posts, read 374,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
That map was the plan when the church was planning not to take the buyout. They were goign to build the stadium on top of it & re-route the street. Now that the church is getting demolished, there is no need to re-route the streets.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:02 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Traffic stats make case for rail line to new Braves stadium - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta