Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 12:21 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Ok.

So we have 8000 car per hour on 75 at the peak of rush hour. The new stadium seats 40k. Lets say it is a weekday game and only 30,000 tickets are sold. If the majority of the fans live in the northside that still would mean 10,000 cars will be added to 75 south. Let's say half of them carpool then we will have an additional 5000 additional cars added to 75 with the 8000 normal commuters.
Okay, 30,000 fans are attending the game. What's the average vehicle capacity? I say it's at least three people -- no one drives by themselves to the game, there are a lot of couples, but there are also a lot of families and groups of friends, coworkers, etc. I'll say three to be conservative, and we'll assume no one takes CCT from Arts Center or Marietta, because after all, no one wants to ride public transit that isn't on rails.

So we've got 10,000 cars we need to get to the stadium for a 7:10 first pitch. Those cars will be distributed over at least a couple hours from the following access points:

1. Northwest: 1-75 southbound.
2. From the east: I-285, exit at New Northside Drive and access Windy Ridge Parkway from Powers Ferry Road or Interstate North Parkway
3. From the south: I-285, exit at Cobb Parkway, by Cumberland Mall; or exit at Paces Ferry Road and use Spring Hill Parkway to reach Cobb Parkway
4. From Atlanta: Northside Drive or I-75, exiting as far north as Windy Hill Road and doubling back on U.S. 41 south to reach the stadium

It just doesn't seem like an insurmountable challenge. That doesn't mean they won't botch it, but it's not the apocalyptic, game-over scenario you're describing. Just isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 PM

329 posts, read 431,251 times
This is a shady deal if I ever saw one.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 PM

712 posts, read 701,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
That is absolutely BS lol. Trains are backed in all directions during game day. I would say at least 40%
For comparison purposes the Yankees have the highest portion of fans using transit in MLB at 45%. The Phillies and White Sox get about 20% transit usage. Those three teams and others with comparatively high transit usage like the Red Sox are in cities with rail transit that extends well into the burbs and have rail stations adjacent to their respective stadiums unlike Atlanta. Also the price of parking at places like Yankee Stadium and Fenway is vastly greater than at the Ted. There is no way that anywhere near 40% of people attending Braves games use MARTA. Even if 6% is an underestimate I'd be surprised if the true number would turn out to be as high as 10%. The fact is that the overwhelming majority of fans are driving to the stadium.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Okay, 30,000 fans are attending the game. What's the average vehicle capacity? I say it's at least three people -- no one drives by themselves to the game, there are a lot of couples, but there are also a lot of families and groups of friends, coworkers, etc. I'll say three to be conservative, and we'll assume no one takes CCT from Arts Center or Marietta, because after all, no one wants to ride public transit that isn't on rails.

So we've got 10,000 cars we need to get to the stadium for a 7:10 first pitch. Those cars will be distributed over at least a couple hours from the following access points:

2. From the east: I-285, exit at New Northside Drive and access Windy Ridge Parkway from Powers Ferry Road or Interstate North Parkway
3. From the south: I-285, exit at Cobb Parkway, by Cumberland Mall; or exit at Paces Ferry Road and use Spring Hill Parkway to reach Cobb Parkway
4. From Atlanta: Northside Drive or I-75, exiting as far north as Windy Hill Road and doubling back on U.S. 41 south to reach the stadium

It just doesn't seem like an insurmountable challenge. That doesn't mean they won't botch it, but it's not the apocalyptic, game-over scenario you're describing. Just isn't.
I would say that there are more than 10,000 cars in and around Turner plus you have to add at least 6 to 10% more for no public transportation. And in an area that is already horribly congested as it is today.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post

I hope you are correct. We will see in a few years

Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
For comparison purposes the Yankees have the highest portion of fans using transit in MLB at 45%. The Phillies and White Sox get about 20% transit usage. Those three teams and others with comparatively high transit usage like the Red Sox are in cities with rail transit that extends well into the burbs and have rail stations adjacent to their respective stadiums unlike Atlanta. Also the price of parking at places like Yankee Stadium and Fenway is vastly greater than at the Ted. There is no way that anywhere near 40% of people attending Braves games use MARTA. Even if 6% is an underestimate I'd be surprised if the true number would turn out to be as high as 10%. The fact is that the overwhelming majority of fans are driving to the stadium.
100% of the Cubs fans probably use trains. There is no parking around Wrigley and you have to have a permit to park in the neighborhood. And still they have good attendance figures.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Cool

Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,203 times
As a transplant from down south who moved here 4 years ago, I am distressed that a perfectly fine venue such as Turner Field will be abandoned by the Braves Organization. I am very tired of the national trend of multimillion/multibillion dollar Sports Corporations holding cities hostage by their unnecessary demands for new stadiums. If the Braves want to move...move, but use your own funds and not the city's or county's.

I live in Smyrna in the Market Village area. The new stadium will be 4 miles from my home. Although I'm sure Cobb County will agree to subsidize this new ball park, I will be in the minority in agreeing to fund them.

I love the Braves. I love going to Turner Field. However, I will still go to the games when they move. I can walk or ride my bike. How cool is that?

On a separate note, I am even more distressed by all the comments I am reading with regards to the impression people have about Cobb County. Apparently, because I chose to live in Cobb County, I am racist, belong to the Tea Party and don't want MARTA anywhere near me. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I chose Smyrna because of the diversity in the neighborhood, the proximity to my job as well as the proximity to the city of Atlanta. My neighbors probably did too.

I've never voted Republican and the Tea Party doesn't speak for me or represent my views on life.

I would love to see MARTA come to my area. As it stands now, we have to drive to Sandy Springs to take the train into the city.

I honestly had no idea the people inside the perimeter viewed Cobb County in this way. It breaks my heart...

Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyrna the Brave View Post
As a transplant from down south who moved here 4 years ago, I am distressed that a perfectly fine venue such as Turner Field will be abandoned by the Braves Organization. I am very tired of the national trend of multimillion/multibillion dollar Sports Corporations holding cities hostage by their unnecessary demands for new stadiums. If the Braves want to move...move, but use your own funds and not the city's or county's.
I agree. I think there are very valid reasons to choose to move the team. But it should not be because of tax payer handouts. And the Braves would not be moving away from a perfectly fine Turner Field if they (and not tax payers) had to pay the full cost of the stadium.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:21 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,944 times
Philips is looking real dated right about now, I mean is was built in the last century lol. Who could imagine playing in a venue built in a time before Twitter, Youtube, the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo? talk about slumming it. Someone get Gwinnett on line one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta