U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-14-2013, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,728 posts, read 20,220,852 times
Reputation: 5634

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Not foolish. Some will walk and many more will ride the trolley.
How is a trolley any different from the current Braves MARTA shuttle? Is is because it doesn't say MARTA on the side? Its still a bus!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,242 posts, read 5,207,682 times
Reputation: 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
how is a trolley any different from the current braves marta shuttle? Is is because it doesn't say marta on the side? Its still a bus!
dont call it a bus!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 12:40 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
8,102 posts, read 13,214,453 times
Reputation: 6236
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Wasn't there just a mayoral election down in Atlanta? It's a bit suprising to me that the team didn't make this an issue during the campaign. They could have used it as a bargaining chip. That tells me that they probably didn't want to be in the city at all.
The only reason I can think of is that the Mayor ran basically unopposed. They didn't have any one to get behind to get what they wanted, plus they knew that there was no way citizens would have approved of it after all the backlash over the Falcons deal. In the end, it would have made the Braves look bad.

So they waited a week to make it look the Mayor was hiding this whole thing on purpose, rather than the agreement they had to not speak about the negotiations in public. They knew the city would be working under the assumption there was no way in hell they would leave the city proper.

You're right though, as more details come out it looks like once they got assurances from Cobb this was a done deal they had no intention of staying the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Home of the Braves
1,164 posts, read 1,066,551 times
Reputation: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How is a trolley any different from the current Braves MARTA shuttle? Is is because it doesn't say MARTA on the side? Its still a bus!
I agree -- it is still a bus. Who said otherwise? And people use the shuttle today, so I would expect they'd use the trolley tomorrow. Moreover, some Braves fans might prefer to spend time around Cumberland Mall, and travel to and from the stadium from there, than to do the same around Underground/Five Points.

Do you really think I'm wrong?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 2,122,089 times
Reputation: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I agree -- it is still a bus. Who said otherwise? And people use the shuttle today, so I would expect they'd use the trolley tomorrow. Moreover, some Braves fans might prefer to spend time around Cumberland Mall, and travel to and from the stadium from there, than to do the same around Underground/Five Points.

Do you really think I'm wrong?
In the grand scheme of malls, Cumberland Mall does not sit much higher than Underground TBH. Outside the few restaurants on the front, I haven't stepped foot inside there despite having lived/worked in the area for ~4 yrs. I barely even visit that Costco there even though it's the closest one to Midtown. I actually bought more stuff from Galleria than Cumberland.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Home of the Braves
1,164 posts, read 1,066,551 times
Reputation: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
In the grand scheme of malls, Cumberland Mall does not sit much higher than Underground TBH.
Oh, please.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,728 posts, read 20,220,852 times
Reputation: 5634
Quote:
I agree -- it is still a bus. Who said otherwise? And people use the shuttle today, so I would expect they'd use the trolley tomorrow. Moreover, some Braves fans might prefer to spend time around Cumberland Mall, and travel to and from the stadium from there, than to do the same around Underground/Five Points.

Do you really think I'm wrong?
What is there to do in Cumberland Mall? Mishap hit the nail on the head with this:
Quote:
In the grand scheme of malls, Cumberland Mall does not sit much higher than Underground TBH. Outside the few restaurants on the front, I haven't stepped foot inside there despite having lived/worked in the area for ~4 yrs. I barely even visit that Costco there even though it's the closest one to Midtown. I actually bought more stuff from Galleria than Cumberland.
Its a very un-impressive mall. Why does everyone act like Cumberland is some dense business district? Its a suburban office park, with parking lots separating a lot of the buildings.
Quote:
Oh, please.
At least underground has history and is unique. It may not have the stores you or majority of Braves fans like, but there are successful businesses in there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Home of the Braves
1,164 posts, read 1,066,551 times
Reputation: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It may not have the stores you or majority of Braves fans like, but there are successful businesses in there.
That's all I'm saying. Not hating on Underground...it is what it is, and what it is isn't going to be that appealing to most Braves fans.

In and around Cumberland Mall, you've got Stone River, Hoki, Cheesecake Factory (I know, LOL!!11!), Maggiano's, Tilted Kilt, etc. None of these are among my favorite spots, but they're going to be a lot more appealing to most Braves fans than anything in Underground. Who knows, it's even within the realm of possibility that this development will bring new options to the area!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,728 posts, read 20,220,852 times
Reputation: 5634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
That's all I'm saying. Not hating on Underground...it is what it is, and what it is isn't going to be that appealing to most Braves fans.

In and around Cumberland Mall, you've got Stone River, Hoki, Cheesecake Factory (I know, LOL!!11!), Maggiano's, Tilted Kilt, etc. None of these are among my favorite spots, but they're going to be a lot more appealing to most Braves fans than anything in Underground. Who knows, it's even within the realm of possibility that this development will bring new options to the area!
And how much parking lot does one need to cross to get to those restaurants? Most pedestrian/car accidents happen in parking lots.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Home of the Braves
1,164 posts, read 1,066,551 times
Reputation: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And how much parking lot does one need to cross to get to those restaurants? Most pedestrian/car accidents happen in parking lots.
I don't think most Braves fans have the same aversion to parking lots that you do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top