U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM

16,222 posts, read 9,014,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I used to feel the same way about my 40 minute commute when I moved to the burbs. I now take advantage of car time to call my old mom, return business calls, etc. Otherwise, I catch up on NPR on the radio. It's really not as bad as I feared it would be when I first moved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
I hear ya.....or as the 'joke' goes "I now use my time driving to work to check facebook, update spreadsheets, pick my fantasy team, text my friends"
I agree with ATLondoner in regards to the first quote. I do not drive and use my phone and there are soooooooo many people who do here in metro Atlanta (and I'm sure other areas) it is really frightening most of the time but funny at others.

An aside - my vehicle stopped on me the other day on Freedom Pkwy and I got out and put on the flashes so people would know to go around and during the 45 min I waited for a tow, there were at least 20 cars who stopped behind my vehicle and they sat there texting and doing crap on their phones (and tablets!!!) and let the light go by 2-3 times lol! There was even a catering truck (a really large one) that had 3 people in it that sat and looked at the middle guy's phone for about 5 minutes until one pointed and they kept going. This happens everyday on my own short commute and it is REALLY nerve wrecking that many of those behind the first person on the phone, are also on their phones so they don't notice and people just sit there contently at lights like it is the best of the best time to check up on their social media.

Put your phones away people!!! Drive your dam cars! Okay, back to the ball park....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I agree -- it is still a bus. Who said otherwise? And people use the shuttle today, so I would expect they'd use the trolley tomorrow. Moreover, some Braves fans might prefer to spend time around Cumberland Mall, and travel to and from the stadium from there, than to do the same around Underground/Five Points.

Do you really think I'm wrong?
I won't use the new trolley/bus/shuttle because there is no way for me to get to the vicinity of the game without driving somewhere. Many people, like me, who live inside the confines of Atlanta took the train from the station near our homes to 5 Points for the shuttle. If I have to travel to Cobb first and take a shuttle, what is the point.

I am thinking maybe they will have a shuttle at Arts Center, but that ride is LONG and defeats the purpose IMO of using a convenient train to shuttle service. I can get to Turner field in about 20 minutes via MARTA from the Ashby station. It would take longer than that to get to Arts Center Station via Ashby Station, then I'd have to take a shuttle, which when I used to take the #10 bus to Arts Center was about 20-30 minutes (sometimes longer in bad traffic). That would be an hour + ride. And I would rather avoid it.

Quote:
I don't think most Braves fans have the same aversion to parking lots that you do.
I am a Braves fan and I have an aversion to parking lots, especially ones that charge me $20. I will probably not go to many Braves games at all (or if I do they will be limited to our little league day and only "for the children" lol). I am too cheap to pay for parking and too impatient to sit in traffic waiting to go pay $20 to park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 02:40 PM

5,634 posts, read 3,971,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
In the grand scheme of malls, Cumberland Mall does not sit much higher than Underground TBH. Outside the few restaurants on the front, I haven't stepped foot inside there despite having lived/worked in the area for ~4 yrs. I barely even visit that Costco there even though it's the closest one to Midtown. I actually bought more stuff from Galleria than Cumberland.
Have you been in there since they completely gutted and renovated it? 4-5 years ago, yeah...it was a dump. Nowadays, it's a perfectly nice mall like any other. I'm not saying it's upscale or anything, but if you haven't been there in many years, then you haven't been there.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,033,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I won't use the new trolley/bus/shuttle because there is no way for me to get to the vicinity of the game without driving somewhere.
I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about most Braves fans.

Quote:
I am a Braves fan and I have an aversion to parking lots, especially ones that charge me $20.
I don't believe the Cumberland Mall parking lot charges $20, but in any case, I think your preferences differ from most Braves fans.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Have you been in there since they completely gutted and renovated it? 4-5 years ago, yeah...it was a dump. Nowadays, it's a perfectly nice mall like any other. I'm not saying it's upscale or anything, but if you haven't been there in many years, then you haven't been there.

It's unfortunate a bit of this thread has devolved into "Our mall is better than your mall". Really unfortunate.

These insulting jabs and generalizations about the citizens of the area as well as the existing restaurants, malls, etc. is the most bizarre thing I've ever read. It's childish and unbecoming. I''m still trying to come to grips with the impression people have about MY neighborhood. Heartbreaking.

If people are angry about the Braves abandoning their currently location...direct your anger to the Braves Organization. They abandoned their current location. It's nothing new. Sports teams do this all the time all over the country. All...the...time.

This deal was in the making for some time. Long before the reported July sit-down with Cobb.

In the last year 2 years, new signage and landscaping has been popping up around the area of the new venue location.

Anyone who lives in the area couldn't help but notice the new directional signage to different areas: Bob Callan Nature Trail, Cumberland Mall, The Galleria, Cobb Energy Center, etc as well as the gigantic "CUMBERLAND" sign which now sits at the corner of Cobb Parkway and the 75/285 interchange.

And now we know why.

Last edited by Smyrna the Brave; 11-14-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyrna the Brave View Post
These insulting jabs and generalizations about the citizens of the area as well as the existing restaurants, malls, etc. is the most bizarre thing I've ever read. It's childish and unbecoming. I''m still trying to come to grips with the impression people have about MY neighborhood. Heartbreaking.
There are a lot of hardcore urbanists on this forum, most of whom want the urban core to be improved and become more important to the region, not less. When the Atlanta Journal-Constitution moves to the suburbs, it's a loss. When companies relocate to "Atlanta" and wind up in Cobb or North Fulton, it's a loss. When the city's most storied sports team moves out to the land of Cheesecake Factory and parking lots, it's salt in an open wound. I get it, and it's nothing to take personally.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:13 PM

5,929 posts, read 4,390,422 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about most Braves fans.

I don't believe the Cumberland Mall parking lot charges $20, but in any case, I think your preferences differ from most Braves fans.
No way Cumberland Mall is going to let people going to the game to park there for free, nor should they. If this whole parking plan is predicated on that notion then they really fouled up.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
No way Cumberland Mall is going to let people going to the game to park there for free, nor should they. If this whole parking plan is predicated on that notion then they really fouled up.
What are they going to do, ask anyone who goes to the mall if they're planning to attend the game later? Serious question. It's obviously not in the Braves best interests, but I'm not sure how or why the mall would seek to discourage it.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:29 PM

6,208 posts, read 4,688,553 times
Quote:
What are they going to do, ask anyone who goes to the mall if they're planning to attend the game later? Serious question.
Probably patrol the lots and any care there an unreasonably long time will be ticketed or towed. They might even go to a completely paid or at least ticketed system. Anything 2 hrs or less is free, anything longer (likely Braves attendees) would have a cost.
Quote:
It's obviously not in the Braves best interests, but I'm not sure how or why the mall would seek to discourage it.
Because it would block spaces that mall patrons could use, and create excess congestion which would also turn off potential patrons.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,081,246 times
Quote:
What are they going to do, ask anyone who goes to the mall if they're planning to attend the game later? Serious question. It's obviously not in the Braves best interests, but I'm not sure how or why the mall would seek to discourage it.
The PF Chang's/Cheesecake/Costco crowd has a rough enough time finding parking on a given night as is. Add in thousands of parking cheapskates and suddenly your restaurants are empty while the lots are full. At a minimum expect restricted/validated parking for mall patrons w/ Braves fans seeing discount $10 event parking w/ a 1.5 mile hike to the stadium.

Unless Cumberland plans on a massive deck, there's no way they can handle event parking as well.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:33 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,262,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
The PF Chang's/Cheesecake/Costco crowd has a rough enough time finding parking on a given night as is. Add in thousands of parking cheapskates and suddenly your restaurants are empty while the lots are full. At a minimum expect restricted/validated parking for mall patrons w/ Braves fans seeing discount $10 event parking w/ a 1.5 mile hike to the stadium.

Unless Cumberland plans on a massive deck, there's no way they can handle event parking as well.
This guy here is correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta