Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 06:56 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times

Advertisements

You guys keep speaking of out of town fans coming to games. Excluding playoffs, does anyone know the average number of out of town visitors come to see a game at Turner Field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:04 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Didn't quote any one person, but others previously took the commissioner's comments to be racist. Not saying you have pulled the proverbial card at all.

I am making my assumptions on MARTAs growth rate in the last two decades. The only thing done is the extension up 400 that went hand in hand with the extension of 400 to 85 itself. Other than that, what has been expanded? If you want Cobb residents on board, then something besides a ten to twenty year construction time frame for one line to Cumberland which is the closest corner of the county to the main destinations in the city. If a line was built to KSU, then maybe more would be in support, but with the history of this system, that will be DECADES away. In the meantime, the monies from Cobb would go to the current system which primarily benefits the COA residents and to a lesser extent some Fulton and DeKalb residents.

If anyone ought to be upset with the current state of rail, it should be south Fulton residents and the majority of DeKalb residents who have been paying for decades with little rail service to their neighborhoods. Yes, two lines extend into DeKalb, but what about people in south DeKalb and central? The lines take them basically into Atlanta, not really much for moving people around DeKalb.

The too many, too small counties of Georgia that worked well for the 19th century are the root problem to many of metro Atlanta's woes today. MHO.
That growth rate is hampered by the counties that refuse to opt in.If Cobb said they wanted MARTA to extend to KSU then Im sure MARTA would oblige.Probably could be completed within a few years.

Yes South Fulton should be upset but nowadays MARTA is going where the money is.
North Fulton residents voice support for MARTA expansion - Daily Agenda - Atlanta Magazine

MARTA Considers Extending Rail Line From Sandy Springs North - Government - Sandy Springs, GA Patch

Old 11-14-2013, 07:15 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
I saw this issue with the I-20 East project, and it's creeping in here again. Why do people assume that the MARTA 1% tax means rail service for all? Sure MARTA needs to expand, and South Dekalb (I-20 East) is one of the areas it needs to expand to, but like with the BRT component of I-20 East, why is everyone whining that the tax somehow means rail service to your door?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM

178 posts, read 618,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.LMAO!!!! That is HILARIOUS!!
Got to admit that was well played lol.

One thing I've learned from Atlanta. I've met more snobs outside of Cobb County than I have in Cobb County and the majority seem to be people close to downtown.This board is proof. Southern Hospitality seems to only exist past Clayton. Most Atliens you meet aren't even from Atlanta or Georgia. I like Atlanta, and I love midtown, and many of the art districts. Dont care for the overcrowded beltline as there are numerous trails here that are more beautiful and peaceful. The main thing I don't enjoy about games and bigger cities is paying for parking. I don't care for public transit because I rather listen to my music peacefully in my car rather than the guys whose music is blasting from his cell phone to a decibel volume that is destroying his hair follicles in his ear drums, some girl yapping on her phone about her boyfriend treating her like crap or talking about some girl she crossed paths with that she didn't like, or some dude sitting next to me coughling up a lung. Then, I have to pay for this lousy form of entertainment. Traffic is more exciting.

I really don't like paying for parking anywhere. You don't have to worry about that up here for now. The performing art center actually opens lots for parking at the bank and people actually pay to park there and fill the lot. Yet, you can walk across the street and park in the five story Galleria deck for free. If the Braves build a huge deck right next to the stadium, people will pay. You'll also have people like me that would rather walk a mile than to have to pay for a bus or parking spot, though, I'd front the extra ten for tickets to the game.

Of course we're not going to build an aquarium or the World of Coke. Were not trying to become downtown. The Braves are just looking to make more money. It's a nice area here. Lots of trees with a River running through it. Lots of cool restarunts you don't find everywhere. I named some of the ones right across the Cumberland, but right down the street we have Peter Chang's Tasty China, which is on the river and Rays on the River. Sal Grosso can be compared to Fogo where you can spend 60 bux per person for a Brazilian Steakhouse meal.

Got some restaraunts like Harry's that have been there during the Sexual Revolution at Riverbend. For kids there's laser tag, which I still haven't found one in downtown. Lots of bowling spots. And bars open till 2am like Rose & Crown Tavern and Lassiter's. Good pizza spots like Blue Moon. Vegeterian with a sarcastic old man loke Vatika. Cumberland, which I don't care for, but point is, you don't have to look far and they aren't confusing to get to for out of Towner's. And there is a bridge you can take from Galleria to Cumberland currently. Wouldn't be hard for them to build more to safely move people around. You can also travel from Galleria to Renaissance Waverly and then to Cumberland mall. Crosswalks and sidewalks exist on both sides of the streets. Sure they have a lot of work to do, but they have a good foundation and lots of space to do these things.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post

One thing I've learned from Atlanta. I've met more snobs outside of Cobb County than I have in Cobb County and the majority seem to be people close to downtown.This board is proof. Southern Hospitality seems to only exist past Clayton. Most Atliens you meet aren't even from Atlanta or Georgia. I like Atlanta, and I love midtown, and many of the art districts. Dont care for the overcrowded beltline as there are numerous trails here that are more beautiful and peaceful. The main thing I don't enjoy about games and bigger cities is paying for parking. I don't care for public transit because I rather listen to my music peacefully in my car rather than the guys whose music is blasting from his cell phone to a decibel volume that is destroying his hair follicles in his ear drums, some girl yapping on her phone about her boyfriend treating her like crap or talking about some girl she crossed paths with that she didn't like, or some dude sitting next to me coughling up a lung. Then, I have to pay for this lousy form of entertainment. Traffic is more exciting.

I really don't like paying for parking anywhere. You don't have to worry about that up here for now. The performing art center actually opens lots for parking at the bank and people actually pay to park there and fill the lot. Yet, you can walk across the street and park in the five story Galleria deck for free. If the Braves build a huge deck right next to the stadium, people will pay. You'll also have people like me that would rather walk a mile than to have to pay for a bus or parking spot, though, I'd front the extra ten for tickets to the game.

Of course we're not going to build an aquarium or the World of Coke. Were not trying to become downtown. The Braves are just looking to make more money. It's a nice area here. Lots of trees with a River running through it. Lots of cool restarunts you don't find everywhere. I named some of the ones right across the Cumberland, but right down the street we have Peter Chang's Tasty China, which is on the river and Rays on the River. Sal Grosso can be compared to Fogo where you can spend 60 bux per person for a Brazilian Steakhouse meal.

Got some restaraunts like Harry's that have been there during the Sexual Revolution at Riverbend. For kids there's laser tag, which I still haven't found one in downtown. Lots of bowling spots. And bars open till 2am like Rose & Crown Tavern and Lassiter's. Good pizza spots like Blue Moon. Vegeterian with a sarcastic old man loke Vatika. Cumberland, which I don't care for, but point is, you don't have to look far and they aren't confusing to get to for out of Towner's. And there is a bridge you can take from Galleria to Cumberland currently. Wouldn't be hard for them to build more to safely move people around. You can also travel from Galleria to Renaissance Waverly and then to Cumberland mall. Crosswalks and sidewalks exist on both sides of the streets. Sure they have a lot of work to do, but they have a good foundation and lots of space to do these things.
Now don't go on and on making perfectly good sense, it will dampen people's arguments. Remember this is Cobb County where the only thing we are supposed to have is Wal-Mart, Applebees and Car Dealerships.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
I wonder if people will park at Cumberland Mall, walk in, leave and then walk to the new stadium for free parking?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Now don't go on and on making perfectly good sense, it will dampen people's arguments. Remember this is Cobb County where the only thing we are supposed to have is Wal-Mart, Applebees and Car Dealerships.
If I were to someday move further out from the city,it would be no further than a few miles from outside of the city limits.
That Cumberland area is a great area but I just don't get this aversion to any type of rail.If that area had light rail it would be booming.I guarantee you.Sure its good now but it could be SOO much better.

The fact that all these suburbs are building more walkanle communities should be a sign that connectiveity with rail in the future is the direction where everything is going.Why hold back progress?I just don;t see any other reasons.
Investing in infrastructure other than roads is vital.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Sure there are things to do.How is it different or unique than any other suburb other than the fact that the Braves will be there?
What about museums?Points of interest?Historical points of interest?
Not to mention what about getting to those things and then going to a Braves game?

Cobb in that area has nothing but a Dave and Busters that MIGHT get more business as an attraction for out of towners.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM

178 posts, read 618,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Sure there are things to do.How is it different or unique than any other suburb other than the fact that the Braves will be there?
What about museums?Points of interest?Historical points of interest?
Not to mention what about getting to those things and then going to a Braves game?

Cobb in that area has nothing but a Dave and Busters that MIGHT get more business as an attraction for out of towners.
I forgot about Dave and Busters. Good call. I don't think many people will come from out of town just to see the Braves. I think it'll attract those that come into Cobb on business and some Exec wants to impress them by taking them to a game in their suite or give them good seats. Kind of the same it is now with Turner Field where it is, but closer to their hotel.

I really wonder how many people buy a city pass and also see a Braves Game. I can understand visiting to see the Aquarium and the World of Coke. Maybe the High Museum. Turner Field isn't really tourist friendly. Once you get to it, yea its cool to take a tour, but not the best place to go as an out of towner. Heck nor is Atlanta. Ask a tourist what they think of Peachtree Street.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
Quote:
I forgot about Dave and Busters. Good call. I don't think many people will come from out of town just to see the Braves. I think it'll attract those that come into Cobb on business and some Exec wants to impress them by taking them to a game in their suite or give them good seats. Kind of the same it is now with Turner Field where it is, but closer to their hotel.

I really wonder how many people buy a city pass and also see a Braves Game. I can understand visiting to see the Aquarium and the World of Coke. Maybe the High Museum. Turner Field isn't really tourist friendly. Once you get to it, yea its cool to take a tour, but not the best place to go as an out of towner. Heck nor is Atlanta. Ask a tourist what they think of Peachtree Street.
ATLANTA isn't Peachtree St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta