U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,261,988 times

Advertisements

Do people who visit Dallas to see a Cowboys game stay in Dallas or Arlington generally?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,936,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
If I were to someday move further out from the city,it would be no further than a few miles from outside of the city limits.
That Cumberland area is a great area but I just don't get this aversion to any type of rail.If that area had light rail it would be booming.I guarantee you.Sure its good now but it could be SOO much better.

The fact that all these suburbs are building more walkanle communities should be a sign that connectiveity with rail in the future is the direction where everything is going.Why hold back progress?I just don;t see any other reasons.
Investing in infrastructure other than roads is vital.
Commuter rail is the answer for the suburbs, not MARTA style heavy transit.

I do not have an aversion to rail, my previous posts are that you aren't going to get a county the size of Cobb to come on board with MARTA when one station at Cumberland is all that would happen. Show a comprehensive plan linking the heart of the county to the core of the metro and with other parts of the metro and there might be a change. Show that it can be built efficiently and within a reasonable amount of time as well and the prospects brighten more.

So far MARTA has not given the citizens of Cobb any assurance that any of these will come to pass.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:54 PM

5,928 posts, read 4,387,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I wonder if people will park at Cumberland Mall, walk in, leave and then walk to the new stadium for free parking?
If they do it without the mall's permission, local towing companies will be making a fortune.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:17 PM

6,196 posts, read 4,683,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

I do not have an aversion to rail, my previous posts are that you aren't going to get a county the size of Cobb to come on board with MARTA when one station at Cumberland is all that would happen. Show a comprehensive plan linking the heart of the county to the core of the metro and with other parts of the metro and there might be a change. Show that it can be built efficiently and within a reasonable amount of time as well and the prospects brighten more.

So far MARTA has not given the citizens of Cobb any assurance that any of these will come to pass.
If the State gets engaged, then maybe there are ways around that. I say the State would be required because the ideas I have would require a revision to the MARTA tax. I've floated it in another topic, but for a single "over-the-border" station like at Cumberland or like what I want for Rockdale County, perhaps only a half-cent sales-tax could be levied and the funds held until the wheels turn in revenue service. As I said in the other topic, it would be difficult to know what to do with the funds should MARTA fail to meet its obligations, releasing them back to the citizens themselves would be virtually impossible, and just releasing them into the Cobb general fund isn't so palatable either. But perhaps it could be worked out where the Braves pay a portion of the capital costs instead of pulling it all from taxes. Unfortunately, HRT costs a lot, about $1.1 Billion based on the I-20 East costs. The Braves however would only probably be willing to pay for a MAXIMUM of 1 or 2 miles, which is $141 Million or $282 Million and frankly, that's a stretch. Really, the State should make a statement disapproving of this project unless rail is brought to the stadium.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:47 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,979,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

The aversion to rail comment was not meant directly for you but the leadership in Cobb County
I agree.Commuter rail is the answer but it could somehow have good connectivity to MARTA somehow.Does not have to be directly connected either.

I don't think MARTA has ever given Cobb any assurances because Cobb has simply not showed any interest in what they will accept.
MARTA has been shut down for even THINKING about doing anything in Cobb.

At least Gwinnet seems to be more open than Cobb.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:41 AM

7,346 posts, read 6,699,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks

I completely agree that MARTA-style heavy transit is definitely not the answer for the suburbs outside of the I-285 Perimeter.

But with once outer-suburban counties like Cobb being home to over 700,000 residents and Gwinnett being home to nearly 850,000 residents and with both of those counties continuing to experience increasingly-severe peak-hour traffic problems and with both counties continuing to be involved in large-scale economic and real estate development projects that generate even heavier amounts of gridlock-inducing traffic on an already maxed-out road network, some type of high-capacity passenger rail transit (in combination with bus transit) definitely seems to be a pressing need (...preferably something funded with the use of private investment and distance-based user fees and no politically-unpalatable new sales taxes).

...That's because neither of those two increasingly highly-populated powerhouse OTP counties (Cobb and/or Gwinnett) can truly be considered to completely suburban in nature anymore, particularly with both "suburban" counties each having more residents than many major American cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
If the State gets engaged, then maybe there are ways around that. I say the State would be required because the ideas I have would require a revision to the MARTA tax.
I agree that the state needs to be engaged in any regional transit solution (i.e., transit solutions involving two or more counties) regarding the proposed Braves Stadium in Cobb County (and other regional traffic and mobility concerns).

But if the state gets involved in increasing funds to or expanding MARTA (something that is highly-unlikely at this point), the state is very-likely going to want to take political and operational control of MARTA away from Fulton and DeKalb counties and privatize it, something that residents in Central and South Fulton and DeKalb counties may not necessarily be too enthusiastic about or supportive of.

Quote:
I've floated it in another topic, but for a single "over-the-border" station like at Cumberland or like what I want for Rockdale County, perhaps only a half-cent sales-tax could be levied and the funds held until the wheels turn in revenue service. As I said in the other topic, it would be difficult to know what to do with the funds should MARTA fail to meet its obligations, releasing them back to the citizens themselves would be virtually impossible, and just releasing them into the Cobb general fund isn't so palatable either. But perhaps it could be worked out where the Braves pay a portion of the capital costs instead of pulling it all from taxes. Unfortunately, HRT costs a lot, about $1.1 Billion based on the I-20 East costs. The Braves however would only probably be willing to pay for a MAXIMUM of 1 or 2 miles, which is $141 Million or $282 Million and frankly, that's a stretch.
Good ideas, but Cobb County isn't funding anything even remotely related to MARTA, and the Braves don't even want to pay to build and maintain their own stadiums, much less pay for public rail transit (or public transportation infrastructure) projects.

Quote:
Really, the State should make a statement disapproving of this project unless rail is brought to the stadium.
The Republican-dominated state government is absolutely not going to take any political stands in favor of rail transit, particularly in politically-crucial Cobb County, which is home to more Republican voters than any other county in Georgia other than Gwinnett, and where the local political climate continues to be dominated by hard core anti-rail transit political and social factions (despite a road network that clearly appears to be functioning well beyond design capacity during peak hours).

Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,495,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is one thing I have thought about. Cobb County voted against MARTA. However, a new stadium is being put in Cobb County.
And as the team and umpteen articles have pointed out....the overwhelming majority of people who actually buy tickets and actually come to games do so via automobile and do not need transit to attend games, especially if the games are in Cobb.People need to get over this knee jerk philosophical crap and start looking at the facts of the situation. The fans are in the suburbs. The city and "community" have had 50 years to make the area near the Braves' stadium nicer and more amenable to the suburban customers who come to see games. When MARTA was built, a conscious decision not to build a rail station at Fulton Cty Stadium was made to try and preserve parking revenues. None of these facts are Cobb County's fault. I do find it interesting that this announcement came out immediately AFTER the mayoral election. If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd think that timing was suspect. Still I think those who are lamenting the move (many of whom aren't Braves fans or even baseball fans) should look squarely at the politics and politicians within the City of Atlanta. They took the Braves for granted. Just like in a marriage, the Braves are looking for a partner who will pay them more attention.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And as the team and umpteen articles have pointed out....the overwhelming majority of people who actually buy tickets and actually come to games do so via automobile and do not need transit to attend games, especially if the games are in Cobb.People need to get over this knee jerk philosophical crap and start looking at the facts of the situation. The fans are in the suburbs. The city and "community" have had 50 years to make the area near the Braves' stadium nicer and more amenable to the suburban customers who come to see games. When MARTA was built, a conscious decision not to build a rail station at Fulton Cty Stadium was made to try and preserve parking revenues. None of these facts are Cobb County's fault. I do find it interesting that this announcement came out immediately AFTER the mayoral election. If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd think that timing was suspect. Still I think those who are lamenting the move (many of whom aren't Braves fans or even baseball fans) should look squarely at the politics and politicians within the City of Atlanta. They took the Braves for granted. Just like in a marriage, the Braves are looking for a partner who will pay them more attention.

No. The Braves are more like a hooker. They will lay down with whoever that pays the most money

Old 11-15-2013, 08:02 AM

23,728 posts, read 19,427,800 times
Quote:
I wouldn't expect going 85S->285W over the top end passing 400 would be very pleasant anywhere near game time (not that 85S->Connector would have been amazing anyway).
But at the Ted those coming from Gwinnett had the option of parking at Doraville, for FREE, and riding the train to Five Points.
Quote:
I've floated it in another topic, but for a single "over-the-border" station like at Cumberland or like what I want for Rockdale County, perhaps only a half-cent sales-tax could be levied and the funds held until the wheels turn in revenue service.
Couldn't the Cumberland CID, use some of its funds to pay of the extension to its business district, oh wait they have to pay for a new stadium.
Quote:
I don't think MARTA has ever given Cobb any assurances because Cobb has simply not showed any interest in what they will accept.
When the original plans for MARTA came out in the late 60's, there was a proposed line to Marietta. The North/South lien has stub tunnels just after Arts Center for future expansion to Cobb County. Also, the Green Line was built for future expansion into Cobb County. So there has been ideas.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
If they do it without the mall's permission, local towing companies will be making a fortune.

How will they know if they are in the mall or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta