U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 AM

10,384 posts, read 10,461,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
How will they know if they are in the mall or not?
The NSA will rat 'em out!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 AM

8,075 posts, read 12,912,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
No. The Braves are more like a hooker. They will lay down with whoever that pays the most money
AHAHAHAH! Yes! +1

Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM

10,974 posts, read 8,421,824 times
Cobb official expects unanimous OK on Braves stadium - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Just like Cobb residents unanimously support this, right?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 PM

5,845 posts, read 4,863,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Wasn't there just a mayoral election down in Atlanta? It's a bit suprising to me that the team didn't make this an issue during the campaign. They could have used it as a bargaining chip. That tells me that they probably didn't want to be in the city at all.
No way. Politicians on both sides knew this would blow up as soon as word got out. But now that the election is passed, this issue will be a different matter four years from now.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:05 PM

294 posts, read 386,160 times
On AJC I read they plan on only building 6000 parking spots (2000 under the stadium and a parking garage for the other 4000). They hope patrons will park elsewhere around the site and walk or use the pedestrian bridge and train/tram/shuttle or whatever they are thinking of. This seems like a bad situation even worse because they can't even accommodate all drivers. Seems like at least for the first year it'd be a learning curve while everyone tries to park in the limited parking that is built then has to turn around and go to park a nearby office complex.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 PM

5,845 posts, read 4,863,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInATL2011 View Post
On AJC I read they plan on only building 6000 parking spots (2000 under the stadium and a parking garage for the other 4000). They hope patrons will park elsewhere around the site and walk or use the pedestrian bridge and train/tram/shuttle or whatever they are thinking of. This seems like a bad situation even worse because they can't even accommodate all drivers. Seems like at least for the first year it'd be a learning curve while everyone tries to park in the limited parking that is built then has to turn around and go to park a nearby office complex.
Only 6000 parking spots??

Wow. I am gonna need a bigger tub of popcorn.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInATL2011 View Post
SMH

Old 11-15-2013, 10:19 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,034,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Only 6000 parking spots??

Wow. I am gonna need a bigger tub of popcorn.
Yeah, it'll suck if they don't surround it with surface parking, right?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:50 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,999,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And as the team and umpteen articles have pointed out....the overwhelming majority of people who actually buy tickets and actually come to games do so via automobile and do not need transit to attend games, especially if the games are in Cobb.People need to get over this knee jerk philosophical crap and start looking at the facts of the situation. The fans are in the suburbs. The city and "community" have had 50 years to make the area near the Braves' stadium nicer and more amenable to the suburban customers who come to see games. When MARTA was built, a conscious decision not to build a rail station at Fulton Cty Stadium was made to try and preserve parking revenues. None of these facts are Cobb County's fault. I do find it interesting that this announcement came out immediately AFTER the mayoral election. If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd think that timing was suspect. Still I think those who are lamenting the move (many of whom aren't Braves fans or even baseball fans) should look squarely at the politics and politicians within the City of Atlanta. They took the Braves for granted. Just like in a marriage, the Braves are looking for a partner who will pay them more attention.
1)"A concious decision was made not to add a MARTA stop at the stadium".True.
Yet where they are now Cobb is doing the same thing by ruling out ANY type of rail.So how is it not an issue now as it was then?

2)"The fans are in the suburbs."
Last I checked ,their are 28 counties or so that are suburban Atlanta.Not just Cobb.Again how does this differ from where it is now?In ONE suburb that all the suburbs around the city will have to get too versus going to the city?Sure its closer to a higher concentration of fans,but its even further from some other fans in the Southern and Eastern suburbs.

#)" The city and "community" have had 50 years to make the area near the Braves' stadium nicer and more amenable to the suburban customers who come to see games.

This is just NOT true at all!I am so sick of hearing people say this as of it is true.Its just not,
Why am I the only one who remembers how Summerhill looked and how it looks now?Sure there is still some rough areas behind Turner Field ,but by an large the area has gotten better than it was for sure.
Quote:
Since 1996, the neighborhood has been the site of rapid development. It is profiled as a case in urban development in Alexander von Hoffman's House by House, Block by Block: The Rebirth of America's Urban Neighborhoods. Summerhill is now viewed as one of the most up and coming areas in downtown Atlanta. Home values have continued to rise and more and more upper-middle-class families are calling Summerhill home
Summerhill, Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Over the last 20 years, we have has caused to be developed over 150 low -income homes in the neighborhood with various construction and family partners. We have also added 150 moderate income homes and families to the neighborhood. All of the real estate development are based on the Comprehensive Master Development Plan established, published and incorporated into the City of Atlanta development plan by SNDC.
http://www.thesndc.org/index2.html

Let not forget about Mechanicsville.It also has gotten better.
The city put all that money in streetcape improvements and sidewalks during the months before the Olympics.

The Braves took the City of Atlanta for granted.Trust me Cobb will get used too.The Braves will take more of what it needs becauses it is a business.

Personally I really do hope for the best.Its in the regions best interest.I just don't see how a stadium will make the area better.I don't think I know of any areas in the U.S. where the stadium has improved the area.I could be wrong.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 AM

402 posts, read 614,531 times
NYT essentially endorses the move:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/us...pagewanted=all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta