U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 PM

5,634 posts, read 3,973,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
I wonder if anybody in Cobb has asked Georgia Power about the new Braves stadium. I wonder if Georgia Power has enough left over capacity at the serving substation to provide the megawatts of power this thing will need or are we going to have to put up with them adding ugly transmission towers and wires from Marietta. This is something that should concern residents between the Georgia Power main switchyard in Marietta on Noon Day Church Rd and this new stadium because Georgia Power has the right to absolute eminent domain. They just take your property and if you live next to the path of their towers, well tough for you. They had to string new towers in Atlanta when the aquarium opened.
There's a small substation diagonally across the I-75/I-285 interchange, another on the corner of Cobb Pkwy. and I-75, another on the southwest corner of the intersection of Spring Rd. and Cumberland Blvd., another on Windy Hill just east of the Interstate, and a fairly large on on Windy Hill just west of Cobb Pkwy. In fact, Georgia Power put up new poles and strung new power lines down Spring Rd. not too long ago (couple of years maybe).

Surely, there's enough availability in the area to power the stadium without stringing all the way from Noonday Church. If they did have to string from there, it would hopefully just string down I-75.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 12:08 PM

3,666 posts, read 6,744,134 times
Question from a New Yorker......

How was attendance during the Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine years?

While one understands the argument that Turner/Fulton County may be in a shady neighborhood, history has shown that suburban moves have not had the greatest results (Pontiac, Richfield, Long Island, Landover), without public transportation (took the Jersey Meadowlands 30 years to figure that out!).

You guys know your city and fan demographic better than I do!

Old 11-23-2013, 12:55 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,033,675 times
Peaked at 3.8 million in 1993, dropped to around 2.5 with the strike and stayed there for three years, then back over 3 million through the 2000 season.

No doubt the best thing for attendance is winning.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:20 AM

10,974 posts, read 8,408,322 times
Citizen groups join forces to delay Cobb Braves vote | 11alive.com

Quote:
According to Richard Pellegrino, The Cobb Citizens for Government Transparency lists at least 12 other groups that have now joined in formally asking for another 60 days, at least, before the commission goes ahead with the estimated $650 million dollar deal.

"I've never seen such diverse interests join forces on something, which tells you how much we need some time to take a closer look at this proposed move," said Pellegrino.

The Braves are looking to move their organization just outside the perimeter and build a new stadium on a 60 acre tract of land near Cumberland Mall.

The Cobb County SCLC, Atlanta Tea Party Patriots and the Cobb Immigrant Alliance are among those who think the deal is moving too fast.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:20 PM

30,568 posts, read 29,053,232 times
Those folks up in Cobb don't mess around. When they set their mind to something they can get mobilized in a hurry.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:41 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,263,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Those folks up in Cobb don't mess around. When they set their mind to something they can get mobilized in a hurry.
Good.....

As I'm sitting in traffic on Cobb Parkway....

Old 11-25-2013, 04:57 PM

5,929 posts, read 4,392,012 times
I wonder if the backers of this project realize that the stadium site is right over the Colonial Pipeline.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 PM

30,568 posts, read 29,053,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I wonder if the backers of this project realize that the stadium site is right over the Colonial Pipeline.
This thing may not work out after all.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:51 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,033,675 times
The Marietta Daily Journal - Chairman denies request to delay Braves stadium deal

Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 PM

5,845 posts, read 4,856,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I've wondered about that. They're gonna have to be really careful when digging. And I can't imagine the paperwork that it's gonna take to get through that alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta