U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 PM
 
8,212 posts, read 7,570,208 times
Reputation: 5682

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
The vote wasn't in question. The right pockets have been greased & their buddies have had their land deals lined up for months. The better question will be what lawsuits get raised from now until groundbreaking. The commissioners just made a $300M decision w/o any input from taxpayers in a famously anti-tax/libertarian stronghold...the real fireworks will happen later.
Good point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2013, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,242 posts, read 5,199,101 times
Reputation: 2755
Oh well. Its now going to be even harder than ever for me to give a damn about the Braves. My strongest connection to them before was they were the hometown team. Despite the move only being 12 miles, they lost that banner to me.

Atlanta sports sucks.

Lose the Thrashers.
The Braves leave their namesake city.
The Falcons get a $200 Mil gift from local governments they don't need to help them make even more money. (I know, not unique to Atlanta)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 PM
 
1,573 posts, read 1,850,345 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
The vote wasn't in question. The right pockets have been greased & their buddies have had their land deals lined up for months. The better question will be what lawsuits get raised from now until groundbreaking. The commissioners just made a $300M decision w/o any input from taxpayers in a famously anti-tax/libertarian stronghold...the real fireworks will happen later.

I'm not convinced those fireworks will be much more than a few sparklers. As long as this is perceived as benefiting exclusively those anti-tax/libertarians, this will have few problems getting through the process IMO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 PM
 
55 posts, read 93,022 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Lose the Thrashers.
The Thrashers went to a city that's already lost a hockey team once. I think that sums up how important hockey is to Atlanta.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 06:16 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
6,113 posts, read 4,647,055 times
Reputation: 3759
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2k4 View Post
The Thrashers went to a city that's already lost a hockey team once. I think that sums up how important hockey is to Atlanta.
We lost the Thrashers because their incompetent ownership never wanted them in the first place but had to take them in order to get the Hawks and Philips Arena. Still pissed about that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 06:23 AM
 
1,637 posts, read 2,319,405 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2k4 View Post
The Thrashers went to a city that's already lost a hockey team once. I think that sums up how important hockey is to Atlanta.
You my friend have no idea what you are talking about
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,728 posts, read 20,180,689 times
Reputation: 5634
Quote:
Needless to say, MARTA would have to improve into a much better operational, financial and public opinion position before an expansion outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties would be even remotely politically viable.
Like being in the black for the first time in years. Expanding bus service, extending peak hours to 9pm, and reducing headways to 10 minutes in 2014.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 AM
 
1,637 posts, read 2,319,405 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Like being in the black for the first time in years. Expanding bus service, extending peak hours to 9pm, and reducing headways to 10 minutes in 2014.
He did all of this in only one year. I wish we could keep him and Mr. Reed in Atlanta for the next 20 years to keep things running smooth
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 11:37 AM
 
188 posts, read 263,297 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I'm not convinced those fireworks will be much more than a few sparklers. As long as this is perceived as benefiting exclusively those anti-tax/libertarians, this will have few problems getting through the process IMO.
Anti-Tax Libertarian here. The Cobb Commissioners and the Braves can go commit suicide by gorging on donkey turds. The sooner the better.

This was the most sleezy under-the-table anti-democratic and deceitful deal done in the history of Cobb County. Pure pork barrel politics, plain and simple. Bob Ott calls himself a Republican? This was the anti-thesis of Republican values and fiscal conservatism. The little shrimp fart will have it coming to him on election day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 11:38 AM
 
8,212 posts, read 7,570,208 times
Reputation: 5682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll
Needless to say, MARTA would have to improve into a much better operational, financial and public opinion position before an expansion outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties would be even remotely politically viable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Like being in the black for the first time in years. Expanding bus service, extending peak hours to 9pm, and reducing headways to 10 minutes in 2014.
The ongoing improvements that new MARTA CEO Keith Parker has instituted are an excellent start, but it is going to take years of much-improved, if not excellent, operational and financial performance by MARTA to reverse the low opinion and very-poor public perception that the traditionally-troubled transit agency has outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties where increasingly highly-populated suburban counties like Cobb and Gwinnett remain in need of much more-consistent high-capacity transit service (likely in the form of high-capacity passenger rail transit links to economic activity centers in Central Atlanta and the world-leading Atlanta Airport).

The fact remains that even with the much-needed improvements that are in progress at MARTA under Parker, those improvements are still nowhere near enough to entice outlying mega-suburban counties like Cobb and Gwinnett to want to join MARTA after years of intensely-negative public perception towards the agency (and mass transit in general) outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top