Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 01:06 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times

Advertisements

I predict that once the Tea party gets over its knee-jerk negativity they will find that the Braves are an amazing addition to Cobb and that they will bring in tons of new revenue to the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 02:04 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,342,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I predict that once the Tea party gets over its knee-jerk negativity they will find that the Braves are an amazing addition to Cobb and that they will bring in tons of new revenue to the county.
Ask Gwinnett County how they're enjoying the negative revenue from the Gwinnett Braves.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Ask Gwinnett County how they're enjoying the negative revenue from the Gwinnett Braves.
I wouldn't count Gwinnett out yet. Those folks generally run a pretty tight ship.

Unfortunately in this case they got tomahawked by the economy, so the area around the stadium hasn't really had a chance to grow up yet.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:55 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,115,710 times
Quote:
They would only object if Obama said he was for it.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:58 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,136,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
Anti-Tax Libertarian here. The Cobb Commissioners and the Braves can go commit suicide by gorging on donkey turds. The sooner the better.

This was the most sleezy under-the-table anti-democratic and deceitful deal done in the history of Cobb County. Pure pork barrel politics, plain and simple. Bob Ott calls himself a Republican? This was the anti-thesis of Republican values and fiscal conservatism. The little shrimp fart will have it coming to him on election day.
I'm a libertarian as well, and typically I would be just as adamant about using taxpayer dollars, but I support this deal, at least as it's laid out. If the plan is changed and tax increases are needed for the county at large, then I will have a problem. If the Cumberland CID is willing to sign up for increased taxes, and feels the economic impact will be worth it, then I'm not opposed to it. The hotel/motel and car rental taxes will be paid primarily by non-residents, as will much of the sales tax.

Deals like this can be very risky. For me, it's about the specifics. I'm not sure how you can say it's "pork barrel" which is really a term for federal lawmakers who earmark federal spending on local projects that are very specific to their constituents and typically wasteful. With a county commissioner, all politics are local. All politics are "pork barrel" if you want to use that term.

The question is whether or not the commission is somehow enriching themselves in the deal. I haven't heard anyone say that the land is owned by anyone linked to the commission or there is some kind of funny business going on that would personally enrich politicians. My take is they really believe that Cobb will benefit from the prestige and economic impact of the plan. Maybe I'm being naïve here, but I'm a pretty good judge of this kind of thing, so I'm reluctantly going with it.

Hell, I'm also a huge baseball fan, so maybe I'm just thinking about taking my son to a game on a Sunday and not having to drive in traffic to downtown and fight the parking lot jam getting out.,

Old 11-28-2013, 08:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,729,238 times
Quote:
The ongoing improvements that new MARTA CEO Keith Parker has instituted are an excellent start, but it is going to take years of much-improved, if not excellent, operational and financial performance by MARTA to reverse the low opinion and very-poor public perception that the traditionally-troubled transit agency has outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties where increasingly highly-populated suburban counties like Cobb and Gwinnett remain in need of much more-consistent high-capacity transit service (likely in the form of high-capacity passenger rail transit links to economic activity centers in Central Atlanta and the world-leading Atlanta Airport).

The fact remains that even with the much-needed improvements that are in progress at MARTA under Parker, those improvements are still nowhere near enough to entice outlying mega-suburban counties like Cobb and Gwinnett to want to join MARTA after years of intensely-negative public perception towards the agency (and mass transit in general) outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties
Its gotta start somewhere?
Quote:
Unfortunately in this case they got tomahawked by the economy, so the area around the stadium hasn't really had a chance to grow up yet.
I just hope this doesn't end up like Marlins Park. The same 'entertainment' district idea was purposed for that stadium, but all that exist is empty land with 4 parking garages. https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...80.22028&fid=7

Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,338,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Its gotta start somewhere?

I just hope this doesn't end up like Marlins Park. The same 'entertainment' district idea was purposed for that stadium, but all that exist is empty land with 4 parking garages.
Marlins are an bad comparison. They have no fanbase and have been awful for 20 years (outside 2 great seasons). The Braves have a fanbase and the Braves are movig closer to it. Will the development be a home run? No one knows yet, but at the very least, the gameday atmosphere will top the parking lot hell that is Turner Field.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:35 AM

Once the hollering is done Cobb will realize they are the recipient of a once in generation opportunity.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:12 PM

276 posts, read 428,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
I'm not even a baseball fan, but I would much prefer going to a MLB game than triple A. Especially since the commute time would not be much different for many places in the metro.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:19 PM

10,736 posts, read 13,291,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
Anti-Tax Libertarian here. The Cobb Commissioners and the Braves can go commit suicide by gorging on donkey turds. The sooner the better.

This was the most sleezy under-the-table anti-democratic and deceitful deal done in the history of Cobb County. Pure pork barrel politics, plain and simple. Bob Ott calls himself a Republican? This was the anti-thesis of Republican values and fiscal conservatism. The little shrimp fart will have it coming to him on election day.
Man you right wingers can certainly make compelling arguments...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta