Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,093 times

Advertisements

This could, in the long run, be a huge win for Marta. I imagine the willingness Cobb has to fund Marta will jump quite a bit on opening day. I could be wrong of course.

Practically anything would be better for Summerhill than the stadium and its fields of asphalt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,833 times
So how do you Braves fans in Gwinnett Co area feel about driving 285W at 6pm to get to Cobb? Lol

You think traffic on 85s is bad on game day wait until you take your new route

Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 AM

Put the damn thing next at the dome site once they tear it down. Two new stadiums right next to each other would be amazing

Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,790 times
From the Braves site -
Quote:
The reason for moving is simple. The current location has certain issues that are insurmountable and will only become more problematic over the years. These fundamental issues involve how you, our fans, access Turner Field. There is a lack of consistent mass transportation, a lack of sufficient parking and a lack of direct access to interstates.
So, how is Cobb's current situation any better concerning "consistent mass transportation"? It is in a much worse position. Are there some major projects in the works? A long bus ride from Arts Center station doesn't sound like a better scenario.

Direct access to interstates? It looks like Turner Field has much better, almost dedicated access to the interstates. Don't get that one

Lack of sufficient parking? All you have to do is build some parking decks over the current parking lots. That's about as easy as it gets.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 AM

924 posts, read 1,455,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
And I usually averaged 0-4 games a season at the Ted. With this new location, I may as well become a season ticket holder!

What is bad for some is good for others & I have to think that there are more people currently attending or interested in attending games from Cobb County than the surrounding area of the Ted.

Just thinking about all the people that work right around there(me included) that could go to a night game right after work. I am also interested in the mixed use plans as well, it sounds like they aren't just going to have a sea of parking lots but we will have to wait and see. Also as a Cobb resident I am also waiting to see what kind of bill we will get for building this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I'm interested to see what kind of impact this has on Transport in Cobb.
I thought it was interesting that the Braves mentioned several times about a lack of consistent transit options at Turner Field as a reason to move even though we don't currently have anything better in Cobb. This would be put in the Cumberland/Galleria area that is the first that could get MARTA though.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 AM

402 posts, read 703,689 times
This might be a dumb question, but since the Braves will no longer actually be in Atlanta - can they still use the Atlanta Braves as their name? Or would they need to change it to the Marietta Braves?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
And I usually averaged 0-4 games a season at the Ted. With this new location, I may as well become a season ticket holder!

What is bad for some is good for others & I have to think that there are more people currently attending or interested in attending games from Cobb County than the surrounding area of the Ted.
That assumption is truly biased and subjective. But one initial statement you said is true...what IS good for some...IS bad for others. They have a video on the site talking about how they will transform the area....wonder if they had a video stating that fact for the downtown stadium also.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 AM

246 posts, read 374,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
That assumption is truly biased and subjective. But one initial statement you said is true...what IS good for some...IS bad for others. They have a video on the site talking about how they will transform the area....wonder if they had a video stating that fact for the downtown stadium also.
No. It't not biased & subjective. it is a statistical fact. Look at the map below of where season ticket holders live. You can't argue with this at all when anyone says that ticket holders & those who attend the games live in the northern suburbs as a whole.

924 posts, read 1,455,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
This might be a dumb question, but since the Braves will no longer actually be in Atlanta - can they still use the Atlanta Braves as their name? Or would they need to change it to the Marietta Braves?
Actually that area has an Atlanta address. I am sure that isn't a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
The Giants and Jets play in NJ but have a NY name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta