Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 10:10 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
They have 6,110 across the 4 main lots & another 1,863 in auxillary lots:
Parking Lot Events | Turner Field Special Events

They're going to be much more dependent on buses and non-affiliated lots unless the expectation is a smaller crowd in general.
With the new stadium proposed to have about 5,000 fewer seats than Turner Field (where attendance has never exactly been robust on a consistent basis), and with Major League Baseball in general currently going through a period of declining game attendance and fan interest (likely largely due to the aftermath of the recent drug scandal in which many of the game's biggest stars were found to be using performance-enhancing drugs, but also due to poor leadership within the MLB organization as a whole), and with the increasing transiency of an already extremely-transient Metro Atlanta (in which a very-large portion of the population was born in another state or country and has no emotional attachment to hometown pro sports teams like the Braves), Braves officials have good reason to expect smaller crowds moving forward despite the Braves consistently fielding competitive teams and contending for postseason play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:56 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
Tourists, maybe. Conventions, no. Cumberland is pretty big on conventions as it is. Plus, does every tourist stay downtown or look for cheaper hotels near Atlanta? The way I see it, Grandma and Grandpa rent a hotel room in Cumberland, drive to downtown, get an Atlanta pass using the day to see the sights downtown, drive back to their hotel, walk to a Braves game and call it a night. Though, if there is a convention in town during the Braves games, parking won't be that easy. When conventions are in the Galleria, which is indeed mainly a convention center, the four story deck and the three, three story decks around are usually packed out.
There are not even enough hotels in that area. .Hotels in that area are far less than what is in the City of Atlanta offer.

Most people are who are coming to the city will come for other things and go to a Braves games as an after thought.The less complicated it is for them to get to a Braves game from in the city where they will typically stay.

The people like some of my tenants that I get from out of the country and around the U.S. go to the Braves in ADDITION to the things to do in the city.

The City gets way more conventions than the Cobb Galleria.Especially bigger ones

Those people are not te type to go to a susurb just to hang out after a game.People come from out of town to visit the city if they come as tourist or plan to do tourist activities.

The County of Cobb will miss out on a lot of that traffic that comes to see the city.
Having a decent transportation plan with connectivity to the city of Atlanta will benefit Cobb more than some of you in Cobb want to admit or even consider.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:01 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
1)"A concious decision was made not to add a MARTA stop at the stadium".True.
Yet where they are now Cobb is doing the same thing by ruling out ANY type of rail.So how is it not an issue now as it was then?
A publicly-funded transit agency should not spend hundreds of millions to build a rail-line to a stadium that is leased by a for-profit, privately owned sports team. The stadium should be located close to exist stations, eg: existing Dome and new Falcons stadium. Image if MARTA would have spent hundreds of millions to build a 1 station stub line from Five Points only to find out that in 2017, the Braves are moving and the stadium torn down. MARTA would look like a huge fool and its fuel that conservatives, like leaders in Cobb County, could point out and use as example as to why they don't want to join a mismanaged gov't agency.
Quote:
The City gets way more conventions than the Cobb Galleria.Especially bigger ones
I think Atlanta and the GWCC is #5 on the list of conventions. Convention Centers - Top 25 Sites and "Second-Tier" Convention Cities

Old 11-18-2013, 07:50 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
I think the fact that the stadium won't be downtown will be a good thing for the Braves. They will not be competing for hotel rooms with the major conventions that go downtown. How many fans are coming from intown and how many are coming from suburbia, other parts of GA and out-of-state? Way more from outside the city. Personally, I live intown and I take my kids to Georgia Tech baseball and highschool baseball. It's a much better way to experience the game. But hey, if the Braves want to move, more power to 'em. They are privately owned. Let them look for the best stadium deal to make money. They need to because their TV deal is horrible.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Interesting read:
How a Densely Populated Neighborhood Became Turner Field: A Map Essay | University Library Blog

Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Awesome article. Hopefully we can return that area back to how it once was with dense middle class neighborhoods and mixed use.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Atlanta Braves move to Cobb County: going upstream – against the flow | SaportaReport

Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Turner Field has a walk score of 38. It's a wasteland. The area around Windy Ridge and Cobb Pkwy scores about 30 points higher before a shovel has even hit dirt. Walk scores are never perfectly reliable, but in this case, the numbers don't lie.
Honestly, I think in this case the walk score is pretty laughable. Windy Ridge and Cobb Pkwy are nicer areas and I think that that is why they got a higher score. The area around Turner field is actually more walkable IMO due to the layout of the area. I don't even see how the Cobb portion could score higher on walkability. It more than likely has to do with retail in the area. To cross the street on Cobb Pkwy is a major undertaking in that area. It is like crossing a freeway and very dangerous.

This was interesting and sad in the case of Atlanta history of the Summerhill neighborhood. I knew it was once a Jewish and black neighborhood but it sad how the local government just pushed out all those people from what was probably a pretty vibrant place and turned it into a wasteland of parking lots. I doubt they can ever bring it back population wise to what it once was.

Every time I read about things like this in local areas whether it be Atlanta or Detroit in regards to Corktown and the Black Bottom neighborhoods, where local governments took over working class and minority neighborhoods in the name of "progress" only to ruin those areas, it makes me sad.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/us...t-atlanta.html

Old 11-18-2013, 12:13 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good article. Thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta