Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-11-2013, 09:58 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,431 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Ok..So I currently reside in Boca Raton, FL, but I'm ready to make a move to Atlanta. It's time for a change of scenery and I'm finally ready to take the risk. I would like to rent (2 bed 2 bath-up to $850) for the first 6 months - 1 year just to make sure I love the place. Im looking for somewhere that has very diverse schools and part of a great school district (with arts programs). My little guy will be starting kindergarten. I don't have my employment situation worked out yet, but I currently work for Conifer Health/Tenet and I know there are lots of facilities in the Atlanta area. So my plan is to try and stay within the company. I have a car but I wouldn't mind being close to public transit as an option. I found the MARTA very convenient when I visited. I enjoyed the Sandy Springs area but not sure if thats the best place.

My main focus is finding a great public school for my little guy.

SO I guess when you read this what are the first places that come to your mind!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Georgia
4,578 posts, read 5,621,977 times
Reputation: 15968
I would suggest that you search through this forum for the many, many discussions having to do with "moving" "best schools", "diverse" and see how many hits you get and review the suggestions that have been made. It's a popular question, and the answers haven't changed much in the last three months. :-) A 2/2 with a max rent of $850 is going to pretty much put you in the suburbs if you want to make sure you're in a reasonably safe area. Brookhaven/Chamblee may be a good place to start -- Ashford Park is considered a pretty desirable elementary school. It also depends on the kind of apartment you're looking for -- closer intown, you're looking at mostly highrises at that price point, unless you're willing to brave some sketchier neighborhoods. If you're looking for garden apartments, again, you're probably looking at the suburbs. One possibility to check out also is the Dekalb Elementary School of the Arts magnet school: DeKalb Elementary School of the Arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 PM
 
439 posts, read 849,452 times
Reputation: 271
Sandy Springs is one of those primarily white cities in North Fulton that could secede from the county tomorrow and instantly see property values rise dramatically. Sandy Springs administration was privatized and its revenue is spent as its management see fit. No wonder you liked it and thought it was nice. Same goes for Roswell, Alpharetta and Forsyth. North Fulton's communities got tired of being the minority who generated the most revenue to pay for the struggling communities' toward minority contracts and the establishment of an entrenched Black monopoly on public jobs in South Fulton. Their schools are better than most as they were able to insulate themselves from the Real Estate bubble of 2008 (to which South Fulton has not yet recovered and btw enjoyed a 80% depreciation in real property value). School funding in GA is highly co-dependent on real property value. So, if you want your offspring to have a chance at competing in a globalized economy and not segregated to monolithic alienation avoid South Fulton, avoid Clayton County and DeKalb County. I do not know what you consider diversity, but you will not find it in Atlanta Metro. It is either Black or White. Asians and Hispanics are a minute segment that resides away from monolithic communities.


Quote:
Originally Posted by akinibe View Post
Ok..So I currently reside in Boca Raton, FL, but I'm ready to make a move to Atlanta. It's time for a change of scenery and I'm finally ready to take the risk. I would like to rent (2 bed 2 bath-up to $850) for the first 6 months - 1 year just to make sure I love the place. Im looking for somewhere that has very diverse schools and part of a great school district (with arts programs). My little guy will be starting kindergarten. I don't have my employment situation worked out yet, but I currently work for Conifer Health/Tenet and I know there are lots of facilities in the Atlanta area. So my plan is to try and stay within the company. I have a car but I wouldn't mind being close to public transit as an option. I found the MARTA very convenient when I visited. I enjoyed the Sandy Springs area but not sure if thats the best place.

My main focus is finding a great public school for my little guy.

SO I guess when you read this what are the first places that come to your mind!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,709 posts, read 21,787,132 times
Reputation: 10184
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
Sandy Springs is one of those primarily white cities in North Fulton that could secede from the county tomorrow and instantly see property values rise dramatically. Sandy Springs administration was privatized and its revenue is spent as its management see fit. No wonder you liked it and thought it was nice. Same goes for Roswell, Alpharetta and Forsyth. North Fulton's communities got tired of being the minority who generated the most revenue to pay for the struggling communities' toward minority contracts and the establishment of an entrenched Black monopoly on public jobs in South Fulton. Their schools are better than most as they were able to insulate themselves from the Real Estate bubble of 2008 (to which South Fulton has not yet recovered and btw enjoyed a 80% depreciation in real property value). School funding in GA is highly co-dependent on real property value. So, if you want your offspring to have a chance at competing in a globalized economy and not segregated to monolithic alienation avoid South Fulton, avoid Clayton County and DeKalb County. I do not know what you consider diversity, but you will not find it in Atlanta Metro. It is either Black or White. Asians and Hispanics are a minute segment that resides away from monolithic communities.
OP, please ignore this garbage ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 01:57 AM
 
10,333 posts, read 11,322,983 times
Reputation: 7684
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinibe View Post
Ok..So I currently reside in Boca Raton, FL, but I'm ready to make a move to Atlanta. It's time for a change of scenery and I'm finally ready to take the risk. I would like to rent (2 bed 2 bath-up to $850) for the first 6 months - 1 year just to make sure I love the place. Im looking for somewhere that has very diverse schools and part of a great school district (with arts programs). My little guy will be starting kindergarten. I don't have my employment situation worked out yet, but I currently work for Conifer Health/Tenet and I know there are lots of facilities in the Atlanta area. So my plan is to try and stay within the company. I have a car but I wouldn't mind being close to public transit as an option. I found the MARTA very convenient when I visited. I enjoyed the Sandy Springs area but not sure if thats the best place.

My main focus is finding a great public school for my little guy.

SO I guess when you read this what are the first places that come to your mind!

Thanks in advance!
It's certainly okay to take risks if you feel that is what you need to do at this point in your life.

But before you "take the risk", have a job lined-up first before moving to Metro Atlanta as the job market in Metro Atlanta is still very-slowly recovering from what was likely its worst setback in the post-Great Depression/World War II era.

The healthcare sector was not hit anywhere near as hard as the construction, real estate and finance sectors were in Metro Atlanta, but the fallout from the direct hit that those sectors took was felt and is still being felt throughout the entire economy in Metro Atlanta and North Georgia.

...Which is why it is very-important that you have a job lined-up first before making such a big leap in your life and moving to an area that is still trying very-hard to shake-off the effects of one of the worst economy downturns since the Great Depression.

Because rush hour and peak-hour traffic in Metro Atlanta can be extremely-challenging at times, it is also important that you first know where in the metro area you will be working so that you can try and minimize the length (both distance and time-wise) of your commutes to and from work as much as possible by looking at places to live that are relatively-close to where you will be working.

Remember...GET THE JOB FIRST and THEN look for a place to live after you know where you will be working.

With that said, and without knowing where in the metro you will be working at this point, with your budget of $850/monthly for a 2-Bed, 2-Bath and with your desire for arts programs, ironically one of the best options for you is in Sandy Springs in the feeder zone for North Springs Charter High School which is home to a noted arts program in The Visual & Performing Arts Academy:
The Visual & Performing Arts Academy

In addition to the noted arts program at North Springs Charter High School, the area within the feeder zone for North Springs High School in Sandy Springs has many, many, many, many affordable housing options (mostly mature apartments and condos) within your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 02:22 AM
 
9,008 posts, read 13,970,554 times
Reputation: 7633
Reading alinka's post, I was thinking, "Wow, this isn't very PC.....but I guess I can kind of understand why someone might have this perspective." Then I read this:

Quote:
I do not know what you consider diversity, but you will not find it in Atlanta Metro. It is either Black or White. Asians and Hispanics are a minute segment that resides away from monolithic communities.
Which is not a matter of perspective at all, it is just dead wrong.

Communities like Chamblee, Duluth and increasingly Johns Creek and Alpharetta among other metro area communities are wildly diverse. All one has to do to understand this is take a drive through Chamblee on Buford Highway or Duluth on Pleasant Hill. Asian and Hispanic culture is very strong in multiple areas of metro Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,733 posts, read 13,271,657 times
Reputation: 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Reading alinka's post, I was thinking, "Wow, this isn't very PC.....but I guess I can kind of understand why someone might have this perspective." Then I read this:



Which is not a matter of perspective at all, it is just dead wrong.

Communities like Chamblee, Duluth and increasingly Johns Creek and Alpharetta among other metro area communities are wildly diverse. All one has to do to understand this is take a drive through Chamblee on Buford Highway or Duluth on Pleasant Hill. Asian and Hispanic culture is very strong in multiple areas of metro Atlanta.
As is usually the case, ATLTJL is spot on with this post. The NE suburbs are extremely diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 PM
 
439 posts, read 849,452 times
Reputation: 271
This is the best advice. Job first, lodging second. Do not move without a firm offer. Seems to be common sense but there are droves being attracted to Atlanta's strong affirmative action policies who arrive empty handed exacerbating a fragile economy. As much as boosters here try to pump Atlanta, they are still treading water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
It's certainly okay to take risks if you feel that is what you need to do at this point in your life.

But before you "take the risk", have a job lined-up first before moving to Metro Atlanta as the job market in Metro Atlanta is still very-slowly recovering from what was likely its worst setback in the post-Great Depression/World War II era.

The healthcare sector was not hit anywhere near as hard as the construction, real estate and finance sectors were in Metro Atlanta, but the fallout from the direct hit that those sectors took was felt and is still being felt throughout the entire economy in Metro Atlanta and North Georgia.

...Which is why it is very-important that you have a job lined-up first before making such a big leap in your life and moving to an area that is still trying very-hard to shake-off the effects of one of the worst economy downturns since the Great Depression.

Because rush hour and peak-hour traffic in Metro Atlanta can be extremely-challenging at times, it is also important that you first know where in the metro area you will be working so that you can try and minimize the length (both distance and time-wise) of your commutes to and from work as much as possible by looking at places to live that are relatively-close to where you will be working.

Remember...GET THE JOB FIRST and THEN look for a place to live after you know where you will be working.

With that said, and without knowing where in the metro you will be working at this point, with your budget of $850/monthly for a 2-Bed, 2-Bath and with your desire for arts programs, ironically one of the best options for you is in Sandy Springs in the feeder zone for North Springs Charter High School which is home to a noted arts program in The Visual & Performing Arts Academy:
The Visual & Performing Arts Academy

In addition to the noted arts program at North Springs Charter High School, the area within the feeder zone for North Springs High School in Sandy Springs has many, many, many, many affordable housing options (mostly mature apartments and condos) within your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,586 posts, read 7,668,553 times
Reputation: 2158
She's been trolling the Atlanta board for 5 years now. Pure bitterness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top