Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 02:27 PM

37 posts, read 63,813 times

Advertisements

Trying to make a decision if we should move or not. Family of 4 (2 1/2 year old and 6 year old).
6 year old just started kindergarten. Husband would work out of the airport (ATL) and I would work from home. Looking for good schools and daycare for the little ones.

1. Budget - Would like to stay under $1500 a month including insurance and taxes.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House (3-4 bedrooms / 2 baths / 2 car garage)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) I'm working from home, husband would be working from the airport would like to keep the commute under 1 hour with traffic.
4. Children(public school vs. private) public (do you have free vpk like in Florida?)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two mostly suburban, love where we are now in Wellington.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? not important, we both have cars
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. low crime

We have a house that we would either have to sell or rent. Any neighborhood you could recommend I look into would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,665,242 times
Peachtree City is very popular with people that work at the airport. Good schools.

Yes, we have several virtual charter schools here.
Georgia Cyber Academy | Free public home school online

Free Online Public School: Georgia Connections Academy

Old 11-13-2013, 03:07 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitinfl View Post
Trying to make a decision if we should move or not. Family of 4 (2 1/2 year old and 6 year old).
6 year old just started kindergarten. Husband would work out of the airport (ATL) and I would work from home. Looking for good schools and daycare for the little ones.

1. Budget - Would like to stay under $1500 a month including insurance and taxes.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House (3-4 bedrooms / 2 baths / 2 car garage)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) I'm working from home, husband would be working from the airport would like to keep the commute under 1 hour with traffic.
4. Children(public school vs. private) public (do you have free vpk like in Florida?)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two mostly suburban, love where we are now in Wellington.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? not important, we both have cars
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. low crime

We have a house that we would either have to sell or rent. Any neighborhood you could recommend I look into would be greatly appreciated.
I obviously don't know what your reasons are for moving to the Atlanta area, but if you love where you are living now in Wellington, FL why move to Atlanta?

I hope that if you do decide to move, just make sure that you are moving from a place that you seem to love in South Florida to a place that you know very-little about in the Atlanta area for the right reasons.

With that said, like lastminutemom stated, Peachtree City is most-likely one of the absolute best options for you and your family to consider because of the very-high quality-of-life, the excellent public schools (in the feeder zones for McIntosh and Starr's Mill high schools) and the manageable commuting time and distance to and from the Atlanta Airport (about 20-30 miles from the Atlanta Airport, or about a 35-45 minute drive one-way on most days via GA Hwy 74 and I-85, a commute that is much less-challenging than most other typical Metro Atlanta commutes, particularly during peak hours or rush hours).

Old 11-13-2013, 03:30 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,374,596 times
Plus it is much much colder here,,low 20s tonight....

Old 11-13-2013, 03:34 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,669,252 times
Another second for the Peachtree City area.

Another area to consider would be the Camp Creek area -- closer to the airport so the commute would be a snap, but there is a LOT of newer construction out that way, and some decent schools.

Check Georgia Cyber Academy, a virtual public school: Free public home school online | Georgia Cyber Academy

Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 PM

Thanks everybody. Will definitely look into Peachtree City!

Reasons for moving would be:
- better schedule for the husband
- no more commute for me
- hopefully lower cost of living, lower home insurance
- change in weather
- change in scenery
- closer to friends (in Buford)

Reasons for not moving:
- might miss the beach - I guess that's what vacations are for
- higher taxes? income tax
- house to sell
- kids' school

Anything else I should consider? Thanks for the help.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:31 PM

744 posts, read 2,483,560 times
I am going to 3rd Peachtree City. It is an awesome place for families with young children .

Old 11-13-2013, 08:12 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
I'd give it serious thought.

I know South Florida is expensive, but Georgia income tax is roughly 6%, I think, in most tax brackets. That can be significant depending on how much you make. Of course, I don't know how expensive insurance is in Florida with all the hurricanes.

Many people who move here from Florida like it a lot...but they are generally people who were fed up with Florida to begin with, sick of the heat and the crazy people. If you like the heat and crazy people in South Florida, you're going to find yourself in a much more temperate climate, freezing your buns off in the winter and not being near a beach or a lot of the kind of laid back tourist vibe Florida has.

Atlanta also isn't as dense as South Florida. I know Wellington is far from Miami, but I think there's still some degree of culture around Palm Beach, Broward county, etc. Peachtree City is all well and good, but undertand that you're going to have to commute into Atlanta to enjoy most of what people enjoy about the city. It's a fine place to calmly raise a family, but it doesn't have the same shopping, restaurants, and entertainment options that Atlanta and its northern suburbs have.

A lot of this really depends on what lifestyle you enjoy.

BTW, if you live in Peachtree City, you're going to be well over an hour away from your friends in Buford, more like almost an hour and a half. Without traffic.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:29 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'd give it serious thought.

I know South Florida is expensive, but Georgia income tax is roughly 6%, I think, in most tax brackets. That can be significant depending on how much you make. Of course, I don't know how expensive insurance is in Florida with all the hurricanes.

Many people who move here from Florida like it a lot...but they are generally people who were fed up with Florida to begin with, sick of the heat and the crazy people. If you like the heat and crazy people in South Florida, you're going to find yourself in a much more temperate climate, freezing your buns off in the winter and not being near a beach or a lot of the kind of laid back tourist vibe Florida has.

Atlanta also isn't as dense as South Florida. I know Wellington is far from Miami, but I think there's still some degree of culture around Palm Beach, Broward county, etc. Peachtree City is all well and good, but undertand that you're going to have to commute into Atlanta to enjoy most of what people enjoy about the city. It's a fine place to calmly raise a family, but it doesn't have the same shopping, restaurants, and entertainment options that Atlanta and its northern suburbs have.

A lot of this really depends on what lifestyle you enjoy.
These are really great points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
BTW, if you live in Peachtree City, you're going to be well over an hour away from your friends in Buford, more like almost an hour and a half. Without traffic.
This is an excellent point.

With light to normal traffic, Buford is over 70 miles and nearly an hour-and-a-half away from Peachtree City.

With heavy traffic, that one-way trip between Peachtree City and Buford can easily turn into a trip that is up to 2 hours or more.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 PM

2 hours away hmm what area would you recommend in the northern part of Atlanta? Peachtree city sounds like Wellington suburb 30 minutes from downtown West Palm Beach, we do have a small shopping mall. Pretty much over the heat and crazy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta