Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 8,935 times

Advertisements

oh wow, Pacifico! Small world. Mt. Washington? Eagle Rock? We lived in that are for 16 years. Our primary reason for leaving So. Cal. is the expense. We can't afford to buy back into this market. We want more house and more land than we can afford here. Really solid public schools are few and far between. My husband is an actor/writer and has a few connections in Atlanta who are encouraging him to head out there. My husband is from the northeast originally, and I am from the mid-west. Both of us grew up with lots of outdoor space and it kills us to see our kids growing up without it. Sounds like we are going to have to head out and visit in the spring and hunt around and hopefully buy something so we can move right out and in. Why did you move to Atlanta?? Are you enjoying it there yet or would you still rather be in Cali? I miss the seasons but I am afraid of humidity and mosquitos!I really appreciate all the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 11:37 PM

341 posts, read 708,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaellenwoodcole View Post
oh wow, Pacifico! Small world. Mt. Washington? Eagle Rock? We lived in that are for 16 years. Our primary reason for leaving So. Cal. is the expense. We can't afford to buy back into this market. We want more house and more land than we can afford here. Really solid public schools are few and far between. My husband is an actor/writer and has a few connections in Atlanta who are encouraging him to head out there. My husband is from the northeast originally, and I am from the mid-west. Both of us grew up with lots of outdoor space and it kills us to see our kids growing up without it. Sounds like we are going to have to head out and visit in the spring and hunt around and hopefully buy something so we can move right out and in. Why did you move to Atlanta?? Are you enjoying it there yet or would you still rather be in Cali? I miss the seasons but I am afraid of humidity and mosquitos!I really appreciate all the input!
Primarily ER and highland park but encompassing glendale, Pasadena, glassell park and a little of south pas/San Marino. Your dh will probably feel okay with the fact that there's many northeast transplants in Atlanta metro. Well many from the mid west too. For what I do, I actually make a better living here than in LA. So made sense to relocate here at the time, plus the outrageous home prices back then didn't help either. Really think it through if you are going to uproot your kids and life there. Of course since you or dh or not native Angelenos there may not be as much holding you back. I do miss CA naturally but I'm here now and making it happen. Ca will always be there tomorrow. You mentioned wanting a lot of outdoor space for your home. Honestly homes around here with space (like minimum 1 acre) aren't that cheap. Especially not Roswell. Maybe acworth and beyond yes but again , you are gonna be way out there. Based on the age of your oldest id say making a move to Ga wouldn't be such a culture shock and he'd be able to adapt pretty well. Personally , I'd be try to somehow stay put in Montrose until your boys graduate HS. But I realize that's quite a few years. Like I've read previously from another post: theres two kinds of Californians in Atlanta, those that hate it and those that already left to return to Ca lol. Another one is: ca's either love it or hate it. I can't say I love it here but I'm continuing to get used to it and make it happen.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:41 PM

341 posts, read 708,640 times
I'd imagine the public schools in Montrose are pretty good yeah?
On a positive note, Atlanta's film industry is expanding so are opportunities for writers, actors

Old 11-21-2013, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 8,935 times
Work opportunity is the primary reason for trying it out. It's all the unknown that is difficult! We do love Montrose but it is so expensive. Everywhere is expensive and great public schools are so hard to find. I truly feel like we are priced out of LA pretty much at this point. Atleast the lifestyle that we want. We are not apartment people and that's pretty much looking like all we are going to be able to afford soon. We can't find anything under $2700 in Montrose. (for a house). Eventually our current house will be torn down to build condos. We used to rent a 2 plus 1 in Eagle Rock for $500. That same house was renting for $2600 last time I checked. It is probably even highter now.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:12 PM

10 posts, read 8,829 times
hes a actor your a hair stylist u might want to look at austin texas salons is nice its liberal cost of living is reasonable the got a huge out let mall the size of a super mall at exit 200 its growing was on the forbs list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta