Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,253,939 times

Advertisements

I don't have a strong preference about the move; I'm not a baseball fan. The Braves seem to have gotten a great deal though; paying less than half the up-front cost, and getting 100% control and 100% of the profits, save for the bond payments to the county. But Cobb still has to split the cost of maintenance. Can't blame them for moving.

It should also put to rest any comparison between the Braves and the new Falcons stadium; Atlanta's getting a billion dollar stadium for less than Cobb's paying for the new baseball field.

Last edited by magnetar; 11-14-2013 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,843,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
There is a poll on the MDJ site currently sitting at 52% for, 39% against, and 9% undecided. It is obviously unscientific but seems like a pretty good gauge to me. Most of my friends around Cobb seem to be for it overall.
Scientific polling says: 60% support for the move.... assuming no tax dollars spent. Only 30% suppport spending tax dollars to get them to move. Poll: Cobb voters support Braves move - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 AM

10,739 posts, read 13,326,716 times
I read in the paper that property taxes WILL be used to pay off a portion of the bond debt. Oh, boy...

Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,957,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It would be cool if they built an urban village around this stadium. 10-15 block area of mixed used buildings that can be used on gameday and for every day uses.
That's exactly what they're doing. Idk about 10-15 blocks though.

Everyone everywhere is forgetting about the mixed-use portion of the project and no one is discussing whether this is part of the $675 million or not....because if not, who's paying for it?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I read in the paper that property taxes WILL be used to pay off a portion of the bond debt. Oh, boy...
Yep. The largest single source of funding is "redirecting" existing property taxes. That, of course, is in addition to new taxes on hotels, rental cars, and the Cumberland area to pay for this.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
That's exactly what they're doing. Idk about 10-15 blocks though.

Everyone everywhere is forgetting about the mixed-use portion of the project and no one is discussing whether this is part of the $675 million or not....because if not, who's paying for it?

Yea. Considering the price of stadiums, I expect not.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:22 AM

10,739 posts, read 13,326,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep. The largest single source of funding is "redirecting" existing property taxes. That, of course, is in addition to new taxes on hotels, rental cars, and the Cumberland area to pay for this.
That's pretty sneaky. Cobb instituted an increased property tax to pay for a wholly unrelated bond offering some time back. Those bonds are due to be repaid in full within a couple or three years, which would be about the same time that the Braves bonds (for lack of a better term) will start being repaid. So, instead of reducing the property tax as a result of the old bonds being satisfied, Cobb will merely continue the existing tax and redirect those funds to pay for the Braves bonds. Very sneaky. Sorta like the 400 toll, which was promised to be gone once the road was paid for. I think when Cobb residents realize they've been hoodwinked, they will have something very strong to say about this little arrangement.

Politics as usual...

Old 11-15-2013, 04:37 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,138,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I don't have a strong preference about the move; I'm not a baseball fan. The Braves seem to have gotten a great deal though; paying less than half the up-front cost, and getting 100% control and 100% of the profits, save for the bond payments to the county. But Cobb still has to split the cost of maintenance. Can't blame them for moving.
Whoa. How'd they convince Cobb to allow that?

Quote:
It should also put to rest any comparison between the Braves and the new Falcons stadium; Atlanta's getting a billion dollar stadium for less than Cobb's paying for the new baseball field.
Yup.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:18 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,339,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Whoa. How'd they convince Cobb to allow that?
Beeeeccaaaauuusssseeeee...that's what pretty much always happens in these situations? Socialize the costs, privatize the profits.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 PM

125 posts, read 232,380 times
Cobb County getting the Braves, combining SPSU with KSU, getting the Atlanta Opera and Orchestra are all signs that Cobb County is trying to compete with Atlanta. Their undoing will be their refusal to join MARTA.

It will be interesting to see if the City of Atlanta continues to let unincorporated parts of Cobb carry the Atlanta name. Atlanta will still benefit from this because Cobb is paying a good share for that stadium and visitors from out of town will probably visit and stay in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: