Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:20 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,245 times

Advertisements

"The Cumberland land play continues in the wake of the Atlanta Braves' planned relocation to Cobb County.

Atlanta-based Greenstone Properties has acquired a little more than 7 acres at Interstate 75 and Cumberland Boulevard not far from the site of the newly proposed Braves stadium. Crescent Resources was the seller.

John Williams' Preferred Apartment Communities is the equity partner for the new mixed-use project, which will include a 237,000-square-foot office building, 250 apartments and up to 8,000-square feet of retail..."

Greenstone latest to buy land near new Braves stadium - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I wouldn't say it is the Tea Party faction as much as it is the Libertarian wing. Blurred lines, yes, but still a distinction.
Sounds like the Tea party is in the thick of it, however, since the Robocall was made by Debbie Dooley.

You would think Cobb would have vetted this with the Tea party and Libertarians first. Coming out with it after the fact makes it even more suspicious.

In the city of Atlanta they can ram these things through without including the taxpayers in the loop but not in Cobb.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:30 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The Cobb Tea party is not going to take this thing laying down. They have already shut down the county switchboard with phone calls of protest.
About time they do what they are supposed to do rather than deal with a bunch of morals BS.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
About time they do what they are supposed to do rather than deal with a bunch of morals BS.
The Tea party and the libertarians would be well served to focus on protecting the taxpayer and otherwise let people live their lives.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:17 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
This is a terrible idea, but I am also against things like this that create sprawl. What exactly was wrong with the Turner field that a new stadium needs to be built?
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
No access to MARTA will put a whole lot of concession/stadium workers out of jobs.

By the time the new field opens, Turner Field will have been open for a whole 20 years. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the previous record holder for shortest use of a stadium by any major professional league was the Seattle Kingdome at 24 years.

Seems silly to me to build a new stadium that seemingly shuts out a lot of people who use mass transit while at the same time reducing seating capacity, but I'm not running the Braves. It would be like the Indians moving Progressive Field to Middleburg Heights or the Pirates moving PNC to Cranberry.
And this.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:31 PM

567 posts, read 889,620 times
Quote:

The Braves also wanted to privately finance a maglev train to the stadium, and to take the lead in developing the area around the stadium.
Is it just me or does that seem like an utterly ridiculous idea... Correct if I'm wrong, but I believe maglev technology was intended for long distances. Not some Cobb to Atlanta commuter rail..

Old 12-01-2013, 01:41 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Is it just me or does that seem like an utterly ridiculous idea... Correct if I'm wrong, but I believe maglev technology was intended for long distances. Not some Cobb to Atlanta commuter rail..
The maglev design and technology proposed is just as capable going 1 mile as going 1000 miles. Just like your car is just as capable of running you 2 miles to the store or 200 miles to visit grandma.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
It would be perfect for an application like this.

Atlanta Braves pitch maglev train from GSU-MARTA station to Turner Field | SaportaReport

Old 12-01-2013, 03:16 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Not necessary.

Remember, the city got the stadium for free.

The Braves have already sunk another $130 million of their money into the facility and were willing to put in a lot more. ($200 million in Cobb). The Braves also wanted to privately finance a maglev train to the stadium, and to take the lead in developing the area around the stadium.
"At the Monday press briefing, the Braves said the fan enhancements would cost $200 million in addition to the $150 million in regular maintenance — $350 million over 20 years. By comparison, the Cobb stadium would cost $672 million, of which the Braves said they would contribute $200 million.

That means that if the City of Atlanta could come up with a revenue stream of between $5 million and $10 million a year for the maintenance of Turner Field, it could help bridge that gap."

More at What it would have taken for Atlanta to keep the Braves at Turner Field
The bottom line is that the city simply took the Braves for granted and dropped the ball. Nothing was too much for the Falcons, but the Braves couldn't even get a response.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The maglev design and technology proposed is just as capable going 1 mile as going 1000 miles. Just like your car is just as capable of running you 2 miles to the store or 200 miles to visit grandma.
I think that arjay57 was referring to the proposal announced earlier in the year (well before the Braves announced that they were moving to Cobb County) to attempt to correct the problem of the lack of a direct MARTA connection to Turner Field by connecting Turner Field to MARTA by way of a local maglev line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: