Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 05:15 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times

Advertisements

other large cities have two MLB teams— chicago, new york, los angeles, san francisco— and they typically have two teams, one that has a broader regional appeal (the new york yankees, chicago cubs, san francisco giants, LA dodgers) and then they have a team that has more local appeal, for the "intowners" (new york mets, chicago white sox, LA angels, etc.). check out this map for what i'm talking about:

CommonCensus Sports Map

in light of the braves moving out to cobb, maybe intowners should have their own baseball team. face it, the braves' fans are located all over the southeast, not actually in atlanta— folks from virginia to mississippi root for the braves— and the movement of the stadium out to cobb won't affect them at all, and might actually help them access the games better if they're driving into atlanta to see them.

the braves have had a notoriously tough time getting intowners to attend the games— intown, the braves are seen as more of a regional or southern team, and many folks don't feel much affinity for them as it almost seems like the braves belong to the rest of the south.

if atlanta had a team we could really call our own— just us— i think a lot more people would get excited about going to the games. and think of the rivalry... oh my.

the thing is, we've already got a relatively nice stadium for them to use that the braves are abandoning. we could pretty easily accomodate an american league team to compete with the national league braves, and the braves wouldn't lose their regional support.

this might seem like a big idea, but was it that big of an idea for the other cities i listed? i would be 100% behind this. what do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
We shall call them the Atlanta Phoenix

Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
We shall call them the Atlanta Phoenix
i love that name, and i thought about that, but the only thing is i was worried people would get confused about where the team was based, since phoenix is a city also.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 PM

730 posts, read 827,661 times
The Maynard Jacksons

Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i love that name, and i thought about that, but the only thing is i was worried people would get confused about where the team was based, since phoenix is a city also.
Maybe he was trying to be ironic?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
other large cities have two MLB teams— chicago, new york, los angeles, san francisco— and they typically have two teams, one that has a broader regional appeal (the new york yankees, chicago cubs, san francisco giants, LA dodgers) and then they have a team that has more local appeal, for the "intowners" (new york mets, chicago white sox, LA angels, etc.). check out this map for what i'm talking about:

CommonCensus Sports Map

in light of the braves moving out to cobb, maybe intowners should have their own baseball team. face it, the braves' fans are located all over the southeast, not actually in atlanta— folks from virginia to mississippi root for the braves— and the movement of the stadium out to cobb won't affect them at all, and might actually help them access the games better if they're driving into atlanta to see them.

the braves have had a notoriously tough time getting intowners to attend the games— intown, the braves are seen as more of a regional or southern team, and many folks don't feel much affinity for them as it almost seems like the braves belong to the rest of the south.

if atlanta had a team we could really call our own— just us— i think a lot more people would get excited about going to the games. and think of the rivalry... oh my.

the thing is, we've already got a relatively nice stadium for them to use that the braves are abandoning. we could pretty easily accomodate an american league team to compete with the national league braves, and the braves wouldn't lose their regional support.

this might seem like a big idea, but was it that big of an idea for the other cities i listed? i would be 100% behind this. what do you all think?
I'd think you'd have to be a mega-city to begin with. The Bay area is larger than Atlanta but technically there are two teams in two different cities.

Not sure if MLB is open to expansion so I guess Atlanta would have to lure another team. But the Atlanta market is saturated with sports as is. If Atlanta doubles in size to around 10 million...maybe. And even then, maybe football...not baseball. Baseball doesn't have the level of popularity it used to.

I just don't think there is a need for another team. The Braves moving to Cobb is not a problem.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,961,918 times
No, this would be terrible. We have trouble supporting the Braves as it is...

Old 11-15-2013, 06:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Atlanta does not need a second Major League Baseball club. The Braves need to focus on winning.

If MLB expands, Charlotte, North Carolina can easily support an American League expansion club.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:53 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,086 times
No. Id rather have a hockey team back here

Old 11-15-2013, 07:58 PM

329 posts, read 431,118 times
Our Braves are our team. Although I oppose this stupid Cobb move, I will always stand by our Braves. Too bad Ted doesn't still own them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta