Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 06:35 AM

22 posts, read 127,688 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I'm in the process of buying a house, but it has a creek behind the house a little ways away. There are some trees before the creek, which I hope to cut down in the future to create more of a lawn space. My concern 1) I can't find any info as to if this creek has ever flooded, flood.gov states moderate to low risk. 2) snakes and insects, terrify of snakes!!!
The house sits on a basement build in '98. It's been on the market since July. If this is a seller's market, why is it still on the market? 4br,basement, clean inside, move in ready, (can live with paint color for now), (carpet upstairs need to be clean bc of cat) 178k, in dacula, evergreen appalachee subd.

Am I worrying too much? Is this too good to be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:28 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
As far as the flooding issue, check to see if it is in a flood zone. We bought our place here in Tennessee, and it is up a ways from a creek. We have been here a year, and it came out of it's banks once, but since our house is built up on the side of a hill, and is far enough away from the creek, it wasn't an issue. It would take a 100 year flood to reach our house.

As far as snakes, since we've been here, I have only found three, and they were all non-poisonous. I don't think water typically draws snakes as much as a food source would. Something like small mice, and the such for the poisonous ones, and bugs for the Garter snake variety. At our house in Texas, I dusted the perimeter of the house with sulfur powder, and that kept the snakes at bay.

As far as it not selling, I can only speculate. Possibly there has been interested parties but for one reason or another ( credit issues, circumstances changed in their life, waiting for interest rates to drop again) no one has chosen to commit. Also, with the basement, it would pay to have a professional check it out. The selling issue could be hidden there, as well. And if you decide the house is for you, definitely get a home inspection.

Hope I helped. Whatever happens, Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2013, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the response. I checked the local county website gwinnettfloodplain.com and the creek doesn't seem that bad. I will definitely try the sulfur. I've had the house inspected, minor issues seller was willing to fix. Maybe the house was just meant for me I guess. It appraise 1k over my offer price.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Also, do your research prior to cutting any trees. Depending on local codes, the watershed and the topography of the land you may not be permitted to do much, if any, cutting. A fact that has cost numerous people in this area lots of time and tons of money (for mitigation). Not to mention the guy who lost about 1/2 of his property when it fell away after cutting the trees to get a better view.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:39 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Also, do your research prior to cutting any trees. Depending on local codes, the watershed and the topography of the land you may not be permitted to do much, if any, cutting. A fact that has cost numerous people in this area lots of time and tons of money (for mitigation). Not to mention the guy who lost about 1/2 of his property when it fell away after cutting the trees to get a better view.
^^^^This is EXCELLENT advice!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:12 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbirchie View Post
Hi guys,
I'm in the process of buying a house, but it has a creek behind the house a little ways away. There are some trees before the creek, which I hope to cut down in the future to create more of a lawn space. My concern 1) I can't find any info as to if this creek has ever flooded, flood.gov states moderate to low risk. 2) snakes and insects, terrify of snakes!!!
The house sits on a basement build in '98. It's been on the market since July. If this is a seller's market, why is it still on the market? 4br,basement, clean inside, move in ready, (can live with paint color for now), (carpet upstairs need to be clean bc of cat) 178k, in dacula, evergreen appalachee subd.

What is "a little ways away"? In feet. Any low lying area, any flowing water has the potential to flood and do so seriously. Folks in CO never expected to get flooded where they lived but it happened. While govt maps have their place, it is still a probability thing.

What is the slope of the property to the creek? Is the house on city sewage or is it a septic system?

For me, a flowing stream is a deal killer unless the house is well away and elevated from the stream.

If you do this, I'd definitely buy into the Federal Flood insurance program.

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbirchie
Hi guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
What is "a little ways away"? In feet. Any low lying area, any flowing water has the potential to flood and do so seriously. Folks in CO never expected to get flooded where they lived but it happened. While govt maps have their place, it is still a probability thing.

What is the slope of the property to the creek? Is the house on city sewage or is it a septic system?

For me, a flowing stream is a deal killer unless the house is well away and elevated from the stream.

If you do this, I'd definitely buy into the Federal Flood insurance program.

Good luck.
^^^^EXCELLENT comments and EXCELLENT advice from Ollie1946 that the OP should definitely take note of in their consideration to move near a stream.

I speak from experience as I was flooded out of the apartment that I was living in during the big 500-year flood that dumped almost unheard of amounts of rain on Metro Atlanta and flooded places that seemingly never flood back in September 2009.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the advice on the trees.
The house is more than 40 ft.
From the front of the house to the back has a slope, but then it becomes flat/level.
The house is on public sewer.
If u guys can check out 3220 evergreen eve xing, dacula on the gwinnettfloodplain.com map. The house is not in the path of the apalachee river.
This house is going to be home for the next 15+ years! I just don't want to make a mistake..

Thanks for all the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta