Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:19 AM

23,390 posts, read 43,932,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Metro North does serve some poor and depressed areas like Yonkers. I went up there looking at apartments, and never actually saw them. Our total time in Yonkers was 30 minutes which was 29 minutes and 59.9 seconds far too long and just enough time to walk away from the train station, then walk right back. But, Metro North is commuter rail which is far more expensive than any subway so there's less chance of that kind of people being on the train.
Yes, I know...I lived in Brooklyn Heights. But you're out of there in a minute. Point is poor people don't ride the MN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
Funny thread lol.

Not to be facetious but what I heard....(in a whiney voice) - why do I have to look at poor stuff? Why can't everything be all nice and pretty? I don't wanna look at poverty or poor people waaaaaa

LOL.

It is a train and it is VERY convenient to get you from Airport to Buckhead or whatever place you want to go downtown to your convention.

I swear I never knew so many people were so afraid of life in general until getting online and reading stuff on forums and social media. It is a marvel at how the human race has survived for so long being that everyone is so afraid of something or someone. But I guess what they say is true - healthy fear is what will make you run away and survive so I guess the fear is the key!

And FWIW, I didn't have a car for 5 years when I came to Atlanta and primarily took the train, mostly from Lindbergh (where I lived in what people called Buckhead but which was populated mostly by fun working class and poor Hispanics) to the airport where I worked off and on for a few years. Then I moved to Cobb and took CCT to the airport at times where I worked and to school. I cannot ever remember being asked for money on the train. Outside the station maybe, especially at 5 points or West End but not on the train. Now I have been asked to buy bootleg movies and CDs but not begging on the train and I took it every day (along with a bus every day) for 5 years. I still take the train at times and am still offered bootlegged goods but not asked for money on the train.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 AM

280 posts, read 388,779 times
I have regularly seen panhandlers on every subway system I have ridden. Atlanta, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago all have them. They change cars at the stops, so they get a fresh audience every station. They are a minor annoyance at worst. Different systems have different levels of success in controlling them. Atlanta is definitely not the worst.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,205,503 times
I see an occasional panhandler on MARTA but I can't say I've ever felt threatened riding the trains here, though I know people have had some bad experiences and don't feel safe using it anymore. Back in Chicago I saw mostly peddlers (and you had to get a license to be a peddler in Chicago back then but I don't know if that's changed), or performers on the trains. Never felt threatened on CTA either.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:00 PM

687 posts, read 742,403 times
I heard on the grapevine that they are going to move the airport next to the new braves stadium. You won't have the horrible view anymore from the MARTA train as there will be no MARTA service but you will be able to treat yourself to The Cheesecake Factory before you fly so it'll be much better.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:02 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,799,044 times
Since MARTA PD has stepped up presence on trains and in stations I haven't seen a panhandler in several months. This really started when Keith Parker became CEO.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:04 PM

10,739 posts, read 13,333,084 times
Even poor people can keep their crap picked up and don't have to write graffiti all over the place. The fact the area is low income isn't really that much of an excuse for it being unsightly.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:07 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,799,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Even poor people can keep their crap picked up and don't have to write graffiti all over the place. The fact the area is low income isn't really that much of an excuse for it being unsightly.
Looking at graffiti is much better than looking at a blank concrete wall. Especially if the graffiti is done right. Many graffiti artist are now recruited to transform walls, legally, into murals thru Living Walls program.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,205,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
In a utopian poor environment this would be the case. Unfortunately, rundown neighborhoods are part and parcel to having large poor populations. I agree with you that they should keep their neighborhoods clean but they don't. People who feel that they don't have any hope in their lives often don't care about their environments.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:09 PM

10,739 posts, read 13,333,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Looking at graffiti is much better than looking at a blank concrete wall. Especially if the graffiti is done right. Many graffiti artist are now recruited to transform walls, legally, into murals thru Living Walls program.
I tend to agree with you. I just hate it when it's vulgar or in places it ought not to be. Like street signs for instance. I think the Living Walls program is pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta