Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:28 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times

Advertisements

y'all are really getting hung up on the semantics. really. i've never seen so many butthurt people in all of my life. gosh, find something better to get worked up about. my point is that white provisions is for the elite and nobody else. is ponce city market going to be the same (a pseudo-market cleaned up for the elite), or is it going to be a *real* marketplace where you have many different sellers, lots of local goods, and lower prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 04:51 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,305 times
Easily the most racist thread in a long time. I wonder what he is implying about Jewish people and Italians? (it sounds racist)

So the OP can get worked up, but nobody else is able too?

Just add "ironic" and it makes it hipster!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:55 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
What a bizarre comment.

You think all Jews and Italians are identifiable just by looking?

Let me tell you a secret....if it was white, expensive, and trendy, I guarantee you there were a few Jews there!

I think this is what makes your post seem judgmental. You might as well say, "There wasn't a single person there that voted for Obama!"
Well they all must of been racist! (just joking) The OP is just fighting perceived racism(white liberal guilt, I don't know what else to call it) by being racist.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:33 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
gosh you guys, i am jewish and white. what the hell is wrong with making an observation that white provisions is exclusionary?

Old 11-24-2013, 06:05 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
gosh you guys, i am jewish and white...
How do you know there weren't more Jews and Italians? You can't tell by simply looking at people.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 AM

329 posts, read 431,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm a bit concerned now— i've been super-excited about ponce city market opening this coming year, imagining a sort of sweet auburn curb market times 1000. so far, everyone has been saying you should go over and check out white provisions if you want to see what PCM is going to be like, since they're both jamestown projects.

well, i headed over there yesterday with my dad and brother. i knew that a lot of the stuff was going to be high end, since bacchanalia is located there, but seeing as how there's a yeah! burger out front, i didn't think it would be all high end. we went in and checked out several spots, the first of which was JCT kitchen and bar. we went in the bar area to check out the prices; it seemed to be a sort of tapas style place, where the majority of things on the menu are small side dishes and you kind of make your meal out of that. the prices were pretty outrageous. the beer was not really all that cheap, but it wasn't too bad. the biggest thing i noticed, though, was the crowd. i hang out on the east side all the time, and over there you've got a more culturally diverse crowd, even though it might be majority white sometimes, there are always hispanics, blacks, asians, etc. all hanging out together. this was weird because it was all white— there weren't even any jews or italians hanging out.

afterwards we went over and checked out the ice cream place, and then star provisions— i was impressed by star provisions, i thought it was pretty cool. it reminded me of the basement of the biltmore estate in asheville, or the way grocery stores were in the 18th and 19th centuries. that being said, a lot of the stuff was simply out of my price range, and instead of a focus on healthier local foods for good prices, like you see in sweet auburn, there were a lot of expensive trendy foods that weren't necessarily healthy; for example there were a lot of expensive cured pork products, they even had smoked bull penis, a lot of cheeses, but nothing was very affordable and it wasn't particularly healthy— just super expensive trendy stuff.

still, in star provisions and the other places we visited, the crowd was all white. i've never seen such a white crowd in atlanta, not even in buckhead. we decided to leave— some of the stuff was neat but it was way too expensive and we were disappointed at the segregated crowd. the closest thing i can think of was vickery village in forsyth county, it was that white.

what i'm concerned about is ponce city market. will this be the same sort of thing? super expensive trendy foods for rich white people? i was really hoping for a real marketplace, a place where locals can go to get cheap, environmentally friendly local foods sold by local people, so they can walk there and back, to get something to cook at home. white provision is fine, but it really does a disservice to urbanism; people need shops and stores in walkable distance that offer affordable foods. i'm okay with a little of the ritzy stuff, fancy restaurants and so on, but if this is only going to serve the super rich, that's not a service to the mixed-income community intown atlanta is. people are still going to have to drive to kroger, dekalb farmer's market, etc. to get food.

i know this is a little jumbled, but i think most of you guys get my point. what do y'all think?
Huh?

Old 11-24-2013, 07:08 AM

402 posts, read 703,602 times
The more important question is: why don't you use capitalization? And, why do you hate Mexicans?!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
If I had to guess, what you saw is a reflection of the tenant mix they chose for the property. I mean, Calypso, free people, lululemon, a Pilates studio... it's pretty much designed to appeal to rich ladies. Statistics suggest most of them will be white.

Everything I've read about PCM suggests it will have a more diverse appeal, if for no other reason than as a function of its size and location. Though if you're looking for something far more diverse, I think Krog Street Market is looking promising, with its "no chains" policy.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
If blacks want to patronize WP or PCM, they will. No one is segregating anybody.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 AM

399 posts, read 700,164 times
You lost credibility for me when you implied smoked bull penis was sold for human consumption. It's sold as a dog treat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta