Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 AM

567 posts, read 889,846 times

Advertisements

As an Atlanta Metro resident that loves Atl development, I definitely throw my support behind the massive redevelopment project that is the beltline.. but being pragmatic individual that I am, have some concerns. Will there REALLY be affordable "live, work, play" options for all income brackets within the city after the project's completion? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing I've seen is prices skyrocket at even the mere mention of project's existence in an area. Fast forward 20 years from now.. will inner city Atlanta become a playground for the rich and famous while middle and lower class Atlantians are priced out? Idk.. thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
As an Atlanta Metro resident that loves Atl development, I definitely throw my support behind the massive redevelopment project that is the beltline.. but being pragmatic individual that I am, have some concerns. Will there REALLY be affordable "live, work, play" options for all income brackets within the city after the project's completion? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing I've seen is prices skyrocket at even the mere mention of project's existence in an area. Fast forward 20 years from now.. will inner city Atlanta become a playground for the rich and famous while middle and lower class Atlantians are priced out? Idk.. thoughts?
There will be plenty of affordable options points West and South of the Beltline

Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
I think the first and only real estate development completed by the Beltline was affordable housing for teachers, police officers, firefighters, and other similar public professions. I don't know the name of the building, but it is right on the Beltline trail in Reynoldstown, on Memorial. While the condo's were open to anybody, they gave massive discounts and targeted people to buy in those professions I just listed.

I THINK the Beltline real estate developments will all have some type of affordable housing similar to what I described above, but the Beltline (the nonprofit) can't control what other developments go up on private land that lines the trail (think all the new apartments in O4W). Aside from that one apartment building, I don't think that the Beltline has actually done much else in real estate development in the form of condo's or apartments at this point.

As you can see, I said the word "think" a lot, so I'm not entirely positive, but I'm pretty sure that what I said is correct. If anybody can back that up, that would be great

Old 11-25-2013, 12:29 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
There will be plenty of affordable options points West and South of the Beltline
They should do a ton of affordable housing in Glenwood instead of that Walmart that was proposed. It wouldn't kill the NE quadrant to get some genuine affordable housing too.

As I understand it, PCM is getting a $2 million grant from the Beltline for affordable housing, yet a 1BR/Den unit will still go for $1,400 a month at the "affordable" rate. That's about $150 less than the regular rate.

With the stores also trending to gourmet bakeries and the like, you have to wonder how affordable that really is.

Remember, too, that TADs are only authorized in "blighted" areas. Does that really encompass what's been going on in the NE quadrant?

Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Sometimes it works this way. How many other cities does this hold true for?

Old 11-25-2013, 12:37 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
$1400/month is the discounted rate? Half the places I've looked at around New York City walking distance from transit aren't even that much. Heck, there's one place I'm looking at in Bayonne, NJ that's $1375 for a 2 bedroom.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:44 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I think the first and only real estate development completed by the Beltline was affordable housing for teachers, police officers, firefighters, and other similar public professions. I don't know the name of the building, but it is right on the Beltline trail in Reynoldstown, on Memorial. While the condo's were open to anybody, they gave massive discounts and targeted people to buy in those professions I just listed.
That is correct. It was the Lofts at Reynoldstown Crossing. Last Chance to Live at Lofts at Reynoldstown Crossing! // Atlanta BeltLine

The Beltline offered downpayment assistance for first time home buyers and a higher amount for first responders and teachers. My client was a first time home buyer and made under a certain amount and qualified. He attended a full day home owner's seminar. He was complaining about the length of the class. I told him if he could make $8K an hour doing something else then he was free to do so. If not, he needed to shut up and take the class The Beltline also has first right of refusal for homeowners selling so they can keep the project going. If homeowners live there for a certain length of time, the downpayment assistance is forgiven!

The Tax Allocation District (TAD) has also helped first time home buyers and areas that have been hit hard by foreclosures and short sales in the "not as desirable" areas. I had another client looking into the TAD downpayment assistance but I found her a single family home in East Atlanta that worked out for her better.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:44 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
The areas near the completed section of the Eastside Trail were not exactly "afforadable" to begin with. If you had a tight housing budget, Virginia Highlands, Inman Park, and Old Fourth Ward were probably not topping your list to begin with.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:54 PM

687 posts, read 745,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
$1400/month is the discounted rate? Half the places I've looked at around New York City walking distance from transit aren't even that much. Heck, there's one place I'm looking at in Bayonne, NJ that's $1375 for a 2 bedroom.
Thats an unfair comparison surely....Bayonne is maybe 12 miles from Manhattan? PCM is a mile from Midtown.

How much is a (one bed) property similar to those found in PCM which is located on Manhattan? Must be over $2.5k a month at a guess.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
The areas near the completed section of the Eastside Trail were not exactly "afforadable" to begin with. If you had a tight housing budget, Virginia Highlands, Inman Park, and Old Fourth Ward were probably not topping your list to begin with.
You have to wonder how this section of the Beltline qualified as "blighted."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta