Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 PM

117 posts, read 377,580 times

Advertisements

I wonder what Atlanta would be like for a young multi-racial family?

I am German and my wife is African American. We have a young son. Currently we live in Minneapolis, we both grew up in Denver and a few other states individually. We hold college degrees, working towards MS level.

I really like it up here, there are many multi racial families and we are rather liberal. However, winter sucks. The Spring, Summer, and Fall are great but I hate Winter!

We have some family in College Park and are curious would it be a good place to raise our multi-cultural children?

Crime is not much of a concern, as the figures I have seen reported are not much different than here as far as murder rates, etc are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 12:54 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
What does your family say about it?
I know several mixed race families in the Atlanta area and they're very comfortable living there.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:42 PM

40 posts, read 285,737 times
it depends on the area. In some places in Atlanta you will get looks. Others not. I lived in College Park with my then African American girlfriend so I guess it is accepted there.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:18 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,152,830 times
I would have thought Atlanta to be the epicenter of black/white mixed couples. Much like San Francisco is definitely one of the havens for Asian/white mixed couples.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 AM

117 posts, read 377,580 times
Thank you for your input. I would like more views as well.

To answer the question about how our family feels about it, I am not sure if you mean of our relationship or the move. Our families, up through the oldest are very accepting and we have other relatives in inter-racial relationships as well. Both parents, as my wife's father is in GA, and my parents are in ND are very accepting and love their grandson. He is only 10 months old now. My wife suggested moving as we could get our dream house for the price we have paid for a starter home here. It appears that the overall economic conditions are favorable for someone educated with a BS level degree. My mom would be somewhat sad if we moved because she likes all of her children being within 3 hours, but we could always fly back.

As far as getting some looks goes, that happens here from time to time as well. People tend to keep their negative opinions to theirselves though. I am just trying to adjust my perception as the previous time I was in GA we drove down from Atlanta to southern GA. I felt that it was not as accepting down there, however there certainly are small towns up here that are not very accepting either.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 PM

10 posts, read 42,066 times
We're just people. Almost all of us totally accepting. We're not the bumbling idiots depicted by Hollywood. If you don't have any chips on your shoulders about what may have happened before or what 1 out of a million might say or do to you here you'll be fine in most areas. If anyone gives you any grief just give me a call and I'll show you the good side. Many people may steer you to specific areas or suggest "inside the perimeter". Come on down and I'll give you the driving tour as a non-real estate agent with no vested interest in where you live.

Last edited by NovationMortgage; 11-25-2007 at 08:42 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 PM

56 posts, read 179,604 times
I'm pretty sure that College Park and Hapeville are nicely integrated towns, peaceful, low crime, lots of charm and personality. Decatur is real cool too. Most places inside the Perimeter should be fine.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurls View Post
I wonder what Atlanta would be like for a young multi-racial family?

I am German and my wife is African American. We have a young son. Currently we live in Minneapolis, we both grew up in Denver and a few other states individually. We hold college degrees, working towards MS level.

I really like it up here, there are many multi racial families and we are rather liberal. However, winter sucks. The Spring, Summer, and Fall are great but I hate Winter!

We have some family in College Park and are curious would it be a good place to raise our multi-cultural children?

Crime is not much of a concern, as the figures I have seen reported are not much different than here as far as murder rates, etc are concerned.
Speaking as a multi-racial family man myself, metro Atlanta isn't too bad. Depending on which part of the metro area you decide to live in, you'll find better or worse experiences. The south side of the metro area is predominantly Black, and ranges from poor to upper-middle class. We found that we didn't fit as well as we thought we would. So we looked at the north side of the metro area. Much of these areas Cobb, East Cobb, North Fulton, Forsyth are predominantly White, again with all ranges of income. But we found a similar lack of "fit". Gwinnett County offered the best fit for us. It's much more reflective of people from all over the country and all over the globe. By and large, the schools are good; crime isn't too bad; and we can just be ourselves without having that second "I wonder if ..." thought.

More and more multi-racial and multi-ethnic families from across the country are moving to Gwinnett because they know that they can "plug in" with peace of mind. Not to say that other areas aren't accepting; some are. But Gwinnett just seems to be ahead of the curve.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 15,058 times
Default Stupid Question

What do you think? YOu and your wife will move here and your house will be burned down? Are you that Prejudice? Some of this is just so stupid. If you move to Atlanta, I bet you $100.00 someone is going to say some crap to you. Hell I will bet you $1000.00 it will happen. But no more than in the hell hole you live in now. Look for neighborhoods that meet your socio economic level and you will be fine. If your a dirt poor lazy bum then move to that type of neighborhood. If you are middle class move there.

Atlanta is pretty much like every other city in the U. S. There is a **** load of people and they all come with their own baggage. (me included). I get so tired of the multicultural mantra crap people who are more prejudiced than anyone.

My wife (AA) and myself (C) find this to be the only place to live. We love and the people. We just dont want anymore Yankees coming here. That is our prejudice.

BTW you do know that there are more NEO Nazi Skinhead and KKK members in WI, MI, and PA, than there are in Georgia right? I bet you didnt did you? I bet you thought all you folks up there were so enlightened and us poor old southern folks is just some backwoods cow tipping, hoe down loving, rednecks.

I bet you thought you were being all enlightened by asking that question didn't you? Quite frankly I find it as dicriminatory and prejudicial as any question could be. Sorry Racism isnt an Atlanta thing, it is an American thing. You can bet your little hinney that it is alive in well in MI, and CA too.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee857610 View Post
My wife (AA) and myself (C) find this to be the only place to live. We love and the people. We just dont want anymore Yankees coming here. That is our prejudice.
Why? Some of us come down here, like the area, and try our best to adapt. The Atlanta area is a nice area if you're willing to deal with it on its own terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta