Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 06:35 AM

298 posts, read 373,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Of course, if you were being intellectually honest, then you'd admit that the area around Cumberland where the complex is being planned is actually more vibrant and urban in nature than the run down area where Turner Field is located now.
Considering where the complex is being built currently is trees, it'd be hard to argue a forest is vibrant and urban in nature. Or maybe you're talking about the six lane road that you'd have to cross to get to the gas station and Lexus dealer, both surrounded by parking lots? Again, hard to argue that it's vibrant and urban in nature. At least with Turner Field, despite the poverty, they're walkable streets with actual residential.

Now, if you're talking about the Galleria area, which currently has no pedestrian access outside of walking down a hostile six lane road, then you're talking about a complex that is not only surrounded by parking, but is close to a mile away. If we're talking about things a mile away, then you'd include downtown, Georgia State, Grant Park, and a lot of other vibrant, urban areas of Atlanta in Turner Field's proximity.

So if we're being intellectually honest...

Old 12-13-2013, 07:52 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What does that even mean? You go to a baseball game to watch the baseball game. The purpose is to see the Braves play a game, not have an urban epiphany.

Of course, if you were being intellectually honest, then you'd admit that the area around Cumberland where the complex is being planned is actually more vibrant and urban in nature than the run down area where Turner Field is located now.
Your two paragraphs seem to contradict each other. Are you there just to see the game and don't care what is around, or do you want vibrant urban area next to the stadium?

I agree that the area around the Cumberland area is more vibrant than the area around Turner today. But before the stadiums were build that area was a densely populated neighborhood with tens of thousands of residents and a large stretch of businesses running along Capital Ave and Georgia Ave. With the Braves move and a couple decades time expect to see a more vibrant Summerhill and a less vibrant Cumberland (except people driving in for game day). Unless Cobb really is able to make people get out of their cars and walk to the game.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,543,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Unless Cobb really is able to make people get out of their cars and walk to the game.
Good luck with that. Republicans/residents in Cobb who make 20$ an hour try and act like they're better than someone making 19.99$ an hour.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:54 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Whoa. Cobb doesn't mess around when it gets ready to do something.

Quote:
Cobb County political and business leaders held a ceremonial groundbreaking Friday for the first of about $1 billion in infrastructure improvements near the site of a new stadium for the Atlanta Braves.

The Cumberland Community Improvement District, a self-taxing business group, is joining forces with the county, state and federal governments on a $35 million plan to expand U.S. 41 from Paces Mill to Akers Mill roads from four- to six lanes.

A sister project, the replacement of the U.S. 41 bridge over the Chattahoochee River, is already under construction.

Planning for the projects began a decade ago, long before the Braves envisioned abandoning Turner Field for a $672 million, 42,000-seat stadium near the interchange of interstates 75 and 285, said Tad Leithead, chairman of the Cumberland CID.

More....Cobb County launches first road upgrade near Braves stadium site - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 12-13-2013, 01:59 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Whoa. Cobb doesn't mess around when it gets ready to do something.
Yea. I really hate that my tax dollars go to subsidize huge, expensive roads in the suburbs I don't use. We got to stop taxing cities to pay for suburbs.

Edit: I think Cobb needs the roads. But they should have to pay for them locally or by tolling users.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:56 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Your two paragraphs seem to contradict each other. Are you there just to see the game and don't care what is around, or do you want vibrant urban area next to the stadium?
Nowhere do I make any statement that expresses a desire or any feeling about a "vibrant urban area next to the stadium." My statements do not contradict one iota.

I'm indeed making the point that attending a ballgame is not in any way diminished or otherwise changed by the fact that the stadium may be in the suburbs. At the same time, I'm making the observation that in reality the area where the stadium is being built is in fact much more urban and vibrant that the current location of Turner Field.

I grew up in NYC and lived during high school about a mile from Shea Stadium. The area around Flushing Meadows is certainly not very "urban" and back in the early 1960s was even less so, yet they built a brand new stadium there for fans who mostly lived in Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island. I know that may be a strained analogy, but the area near Cumberland is less suburban than you may think, and there is no law, rule, or other benefit for a stadium being in the center of a city, especially when the location is devoid of entertainment and other amenities.

In other cities, they've done what is planned for the new Cobb location, and that's built up amenities and nightlife that makes the ballpark and the surrounding area a place for more than just a ballgame. I'm hopeful that I will be able to go to a Braves game and enjoy the area after a ballgame or even when the Braves aren't playing.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 AM

I believe Cobb will come through. They usually do.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:18 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,478,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I believe Cobb will come through. They usually do.
I don't know, arjay.

It's not necessarily the domineering presence of the Tea Party in Cobb County that will be a problem as many (but not necessarily all) local variants of the Tea Party in the county are actually in support of the stadium project.

(...It's Debbie Dooley, who is actually the leader of a Tea Party variant in Gwinnett County, who is leading the charge against the stadium project...
...Needless to say, after the catastrophic damage that Dooley and her shockingly-diverse political coalition did to the T-SPLOST in 2012, her presence as the public face of the opposition against the project is not to be taken lightly as Dooley can be very-persuasive and could easily covert over the Cobb County Tea Partiers who might be in support of or on the fence about this project if this thing gets dragged out over too long of a period.)

What could potentially be somewhat problematic for Cobb County and the Braves is the presence of that transcontinental pipeline that runs directly under the site of the proposed stadium.

If anyone REALLY wanted to cause some substantial problems for the stadium project, they could potentially use the presence of that transcontinental natural gas pipeline (which runs from about Galveston, Texas on the Gulf Coast up to about the New York Harbor area in the Northeast) to attempt to delay and obstruct and eventually derail the project.

The fact that Dooley is teaming with the environmentalists to oppose this project in which the presence of a major transcontinental pipeline will play a key role is not necessarily a good thing as far as the timeline on this project goes.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
...It's Debbie Dooley, who is actually the leader of a Tea Party variant in Gwinnett County, who is leading the charge against the stadium project....
I guess we will find out what Cobb is made of. I read that they have plans to reroute the pipeline but that is bound to be a lot easier than derailing the Tea party.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:58 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,308,579 times
I just don't understand how anyone who has been to the top end of 285 between 75 and 400 could not be afraid if the traffic nightmare that is coming. It's already a nightmare from 3pm till 7pm with no stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta