Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:09 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,843,510 times

Advertisements

can't wait for that stadium to be half empty till the 4th inning, while most fans are waiting in traffic to park and then walking or taking six-flag like trams over that magical pedestrian bridge.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,628,446 times
Are visiting fans going to stay in Cobb for the weekend during the the Braves weekend games or will they stay in downtown Atlanta and drive to the games each day? Do they want to spend their day in Cobb County at Applebee's and Cumberland Mall or would they rather be near PCM, BA, Midtown, etc?

Old 11-28-2013, 08:50 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,349,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
can't wait for that stadium to be half empty till the 4th inning, while most fans are waiting in traffic to park and then walking or taking six-flag like trams over that magical pedestrian bridge.
Why so negative?

It isn't like Turner Field was packed early in games either. The Braves got a good deal and moved to an area closer to a majority of their fanbase. Sure there are transportation issues to work out, but there are several years to make it happen.

The troop of vocal ITPers sound like pathetic little girls over this move.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:21 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,114,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Why so negative?

It isn't like Turner Field was packed early in games either. The Braves got a good deal and moved to an area closer to a majority of their fanbase. Sure there are transportation issues to work out, but there are several years to make it happen.
3 1/2 years isn't a lot of time to fix the C.F. that is the Cobb Cloverleaf and surrounding streets.

Quote:
I live in East Cobb and I think this is a really bad idea. Placing the stadium in this location not only screws ITP fans but those living in Gwinnett, North Fulton, and the Southside, all of which have to trek onto 285 during rush hour for weeknight games, and unlike the present location, there is no direct transit option to Cumberland from those areas.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:55 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,348,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Why so negative?

The Braves got an amazing deal...that's not the question. A brand new stadium and the majority of the funding is coming from a county that steamrolled its constituents just to stick it in the eye of those free spending liberals to the south.

Did you happen to take a peek at the budget allocation for transportation upgrades? They lined up a grand total of $14M which includes the cost of relocating the gas pipeline on the property and a pedestrian bridge. Given how much basic road update costs are, this bucket isn't going to buy more than some Stadium exit here signs & couple of shuttle buses.

The onus is going to fall on the state and once the Braves lobby like mad, I'm sure you'll enjoy a shiny new 12 lane wide $4B cloverleaf just to keep traffic as sluggish as it is. GA DOT is about to let investors build out a $840M separate I-75 toll road which may soon be the only way to get from the office to the suburban paradise once the Braves unleash their apocalypse upon the Cobb Cloverleaf. Perhaps this is some grand scheme to jack up revenues after the DOT came to their senses and killed the non-compete clause which would have blocked any transport improvements in the region to protect the investors.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:53 PM

329 posts, read 430,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I think as I grow older I'm always going to harbor a slight resentment of the Braves for this. I'm from Gwinnett and this stinks for us too. It isn't just a OTP/ITP thing.

My great grandfather was a civic booster and a banker in Atlanta's early days. One of his proud things was he was a civic booster that worked towards Atlanta building Atlanta-Fulton County stadium, so Atlanta could get a major league baseball team. Prior to that you would watch the Crackers play off of Ponce. For years has had a large photo on his wall of the original stadium on his wall. In the picture it was only half painted white.

When the Olympics came and what would become the Ted was built, I saw it as a good thing. It was a much improved ballpark. It had more character, I liked the brickwork, it was still in roughly the same location with a good view of town, and I thought it was something the neighborhood could eventually grow around. There is an interesting history (for the long-run) being able to say that was the Olympic Stadium.

Instead we are getting a smaller stadium on its own campus way to the northeast of town. They keep proudly showing that picture showing most of their fans are on the northside, but they keep forgetting they are building it very far to the west away from many others on the northside as well. They are also leaving behind those of us whose families go back many generations and really see this as a regional team that belongs downtown.
I feel the same as you but the Braves are our team and we need to support them no matter where they play. I just feel that the effort was not made to help the Braves more where they are. There is no reason that area could not be improved and that getting in and out of Turner made easier for fans. And for less $$$ than a new Cobb stadium will cost.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:04 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,749,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
The Braves got an amazing deal...that's not the question. A brand new stadium and the majority of the funding is coming from a county that steamrolled its constituents just to stick it in the eye of those free spending liberals to the south.
Cobb has been issuing hundreds of millions in development bonds for years, however, and nobody has ever said a peep about it. It's the same with almost major county and city.

In context the Braves deal is just business as usual for big, bustling Cobb county.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post32405701

Old 11-28-2013, 08:40 PM

924 posts, read 1,454,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd be surprised if the traffic turns out to be as bad as some people predict.
I agree, the people acting like it will be a carpocalypse are overreacting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Cobb county traffic is already the worst in the region. Adding thousands of fans trying to get to the game can ONLY make it worse, not better.
No it isn't. Downtown and the area around 400 and I-285 are easily the 2 worst. I would say I-85 and I-285 around Doraville is worse too.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:42 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,628,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post

No it isn't. Downtown and the area around 400 and I-285 are easily the 2 worst. I would say I-85 and I-285 around Doraville is worse too.
False. GDOT stated that 75 around the new stadium has more traffic than the 75/85 around the current stadium

Old 11-28-2013, 09:35 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,519,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post

You've obviously not driven in any of those during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta