Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 PM

348 posts, read 434,237 times

Advertisements

Study: Pedestrian access a challenge for new Braves stadium | www.ajc.com

This is what happens when you try to take something out in the middle of major roads and think you are just going to create a pedestrian paradise without planning. This is sorry Cobb county for you!

Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
Study: Pedestrian access a challenge for new Braves stadium | www.ajc.com

This is what happens when you try to take something out in the middle of major roads and think you are just going to create a pedestrian paradise without planning. This is sorry Cobb county for you!
Fyi, the planned pedestrian bridge was an idea before the Braves even announced anything, and was my idea. Well before the Braves came into the picture, and something I proposed to Cumberland CID myself (though I doubt I was the only one who thought of it). Insult the pedestrian bridge idea, and you are insulting me ;-) Originally, Cumberland wanted to consider the "core area" to be the area South of I-285, when they started the master plan process which was halted weeks later by the Braves announcement. I told them "why segment Cumberland like that" and suggested a pedestrian bridge to bridge the the most separated part of the interchange from the Galleria. No matter how much they street-scape Cobb Pkwy, no one is going to want to walk along it under I-285 because it's frankly a little scary with all the traffic. I've done it, and I don't like it.

It's just the part of Cumberland East of Cobb Pkwy that needs to be fixed. The area where the stadium is going was mostly empty until the stadium was announced, so of course it's not going to have good pedestrian access.

Cobb county has great pedestrian access in Smyrna along Spring Rd and Atlanta Rd Northwest of I-285, and on Cumberland Pkwy to Mt Wilkinson. It also has a trail along the Chattahoochee River. You have to be careful taking an alarmist stance based on articles. There are lots of agenda coming to the forefront here.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-10-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM

219 posts, read 270,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Fyi, the planned pedestrian bridge was an idea before the Braves even announced anything, and was my idea.
Brilliant!

Old 06-11-2014, 06:39 AM

749 posts, read 886,588 times
Quote:
...You have to be careful taking an alarmist stance based on articles. There are lots of agenda coming to the forefront here.
Says the guy with the largest agenda on this site. So, we should only trust articles that paint cobb in (an increasingly difficult) good light?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,197 times
I am not a Cobb basher or have anything against this project, but I have worked in this area and in my opinion more than a pedestrian bridge is needed.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,136,874 times
The agenda is coming from Cobb and the Braves. They jammed this through and set up propaganda and yet any article noting the serious challenges and concerns regarding this project is called "alarmist."

Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Says the guy with the largest agenda on this site. So, we should only trust articles that paint cobb in (an increasingly difficult) good light?
Sounds like you are the one with an agenda. Your total Posts are 261 over about one week, whereas mine are over 1500 in eight years, read over 2 million times. You're hardly a contributor or in a position to make such judgements.

I'm active in my community, and know a lot about it (and Atlanta as well). I lead two civic organizations outside my main software engineering job, I am on the committee with the Cobb 2040 CTP. I go to city and county meetings. I push issues with politicians. I also have been citizen committee on ARC for certain things. That makes me knowledgeable, not someone with an agenda.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-11-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 01:17 PM

749 posts, read 886,588 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are the one with an agenda. Your total Posts are 261 over about one week, whereas mine are over 1500 in eight years, read over 2 million times. You're hardly a contributor or in a position to make such judgements.

I'm active in my community, and know a lot about it (and Atlanta as well). I lead two civic organizations outside my main software engineering job, I am on the committee with the Cobb 2040 CTP. I go to city and county meetings. I push issues with politicians. I also have been citizen committee on ARC for certain things. That makes me knowledgeable, not someone with an agenda.
I never claimed to be a contributor on here. Where do you get one week from? I've been on this site for years and hardly ever post. If anyone is trolling, it's you with your constant cobb cheerleading and passing off of personal opinions as fact. In the past, you made so many braves/cobb county topics that the mods had to get involved. I wonder how I can remember that since I've only been here one week?

What's with the Cobb obsession anyway? How is Cobb unique/different from any other sprawling, post automobile developed American environment? That's a serious question, I'm not trying to be petty.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 PM

Frankster87, I'm not going to get into your delusions with you about mods getting involved and things like that. I read my Direct Messages, and there's nothing but people thanking me for various things. I have been a member here for eight years and been involved with many thoughtful discussions before the Braves were even a consideration. I am responding to your post, and then don't want any further conversation with you since the initial tone you took with me was not something inviting dialogue. I will get the mods involved if necessary. I'm also going to begin reporting any trolling that occurs from any members, since I shouldn't be feeding the trolls by responding to attacks on various parts of the metro areas from individuals who have an axe to grind.

Likewise, I'm going to make an even more concerted effort to positive rate up good posts, so it's clear who the people are that contribute to conversations.

Quote:
How is Cobb different?
It's part of metro Atlanta. This is the Atlanta forum.

Quote:
This is totally off-topic, and trolling. It wasn't a direct response to anything I said, just an attempt at a personal attack. Most forum rules say keep the personal attacks to a minimum. This is no different. So you violated the rules.

If you don't like positive things said about Cobb, then don't read them. However, saying positive things about Cobb is much better than the alternative, attacks on Cobb and general trolling about anything not inside the Atlanta boundaries, which happens quite often. Some complaints about things outside Atlanta may be justified. Others, like name-calling and attacks, aren't. That's called trolling, because this board has as many people from the greater metro as it does from Atlanta itself, if not more. Where are you when those things happen? Considering you call refuting some attacks, and/or saying positive things about Cobb "cheer-leading", whereas you didn't take offense when the attacks occurred, it sounds like you have an agenda aligned with people attacking Cobb. The fact that I don't support your viewpoint has ruffled your feathers, and now you are getting borderline abusive.

If some people are hurt by the Braves moving, then going around attacking others isn't the solution. Let's return this place to a respectable forum and leave that stuff to places where people are not going to be trolling Cobb members of the forum. I can't say people shouldn't take it so personally, but definitely should not be abusive about it. I'm not rubbing salt in a wound. I'm reminding people about basic netiquitte.

If you don't like discussions about Cobb, don't participate in them. This topic about the stadium, not started by me btw, has 94 PAGES. that means that it is something people on the forum are interested in. If you aren't interested in it, then please leave the topic, instead of trolling on it.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-11-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 04:04 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
If you think netdragon has "the largest agenda on this site"...man...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta