Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:02 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Oh man, I'm really gonna have to move on buying a house around Ormewood Park / Boulevard Heights soon! I had no idea the timeline was that short.

So over the past month:
The City of Atlanta has been approved to receive federal transit dollars
The Mayor has stated he is serious about a public private partnership for transit on the Beltline
The Beltline has made it an official goal to have some transit on the east and west sides of the Beltline in 5 years.

Wheres that Ron Paul gif... ITS HAPPENING!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think they could go ahead and do PPP's even without the mayor if they want to.
I can't remember, is the Beltline part of city government, Invest Atlanta, or is it just independent?

Regardless, having Mayor Reed on board has got to help. I know in the recent article where he expressed support for a P3 for Beltline transit he said something about being apart of a system set up by the Clinton Global Initiative where Mayors find investments for their city.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:25 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
As a resident of Grant Park, I'm extremely excited to see that plans for the southeast trail are finally in the works! It's going to be great to be able to walk to the beltline from the house, and be able to go all the way to Piedmont for big events without having to bike on the street! Not to mention I can't wait to see what it does for my property value This will also connect families to the zoo, making for a nice, healthy day out with their kids without having to drive to the zoo

I have been waiting to see a timeline, and am pleasantly surprised to see construction is planned to start in the next 5 years, with completion soon thereafter. That's a much shorter amount of time than I expected, seeing how every answer I have previously gotten from them was "We don't know, it's an active rail line. We need to acquire ROW".

I'm also curious what the connection trail to Zoo Atlanta will be like. Anybody have any knowledge of this? My assumption is that sidewalks on Cherokee will be repaved/widened to accommodate 2 bike lanes, similar to the PATH trails on Hosea in Kirkwood. This will be great for the Southern end of the neighborhood, where development is limited. I'd love to see more restaurants/bars on that end of the neighborhood, joining Intown Healthy Hound and Eventide Brewery. Next up, I hope to see that empty lot foreclosed on across from Zoo Atlanta be built up, as originally planned - if anybody knows anything about this lot, update me!

Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
As a resident of Grant Park, I'm extremely excited to see that plans for the southeast trail are finally in the works! It's going to be great to be able to walk to the beltline from the house, and be able to go all the way to Piedmont for big events without having to bike on the street! Not to mention I can't wait to see what it does for my property value This will also connect families to the zoo, making for a nice, healthy day out with their kids without having to drive to the zoo

I have been waiting to see a timeline, and am pleasantly surprised to see construction is planned to start in the next 5 years, with completion soon thereafter. That's a much shorter amount of time than I expected, seeing how every answer I have previously gotten from them was "We don't know, it's an active rail line. We need to acquire ROW".

I'm also curious what the connection trail to Zoo Atlanta will be like. Anybody have any knowledge of this? My assumption is that sidewalks on Cherokee will be repaved/widened to accommodate 2 bike lanes, similar to the PATH trails on Hosea in Kirkwood. This will be great for the Southern end of the neighborhood, where development is limited. I'd love to see more restaurants/bars on that end of the neighborhood, joining Intown Healthy Hound and Eventide Brewery. Next up, I hope to see that empty lot foreclosed on across from Zoo Atlanta be built up, as originally planned - if anybody knows anything about this lot, update me!
you'll still have to ride on the street in cabbagetown. Krog street tunnel and wylie street.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 PM

294 posts, read 451,195 times
Wow, breaking ground on the East and West Sides for Transit within 5 years. Amazing goals, hopefully they find the funding and make it happen!

Question, what is Phase 3 of the Old Fourth Ward Park? Is it just connecting it to the BeltLine which is already in construction?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:55 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInATL2011 View Post

Question, what is Phase 3 of the Old Fourth Ward Park? Is it just connecting it to the BeltLine which is already in construction?
No. Phase 3 would be redeveloping the land that is currently owned by Georgia Power and a couple of other adjacent businesses as part of the park. I do not believe the Beltline has a specific agreement or timetable to acquire those properties but it is in the park's master-plan.

Last edited by J2rescue; 12-11-2013 at 10:43 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
I can't remember, is the Beltline part of city government, Invest Atlanta, or is it just independent?.
It's a separate corporation, set up by the city.

I have always wondered why the Beltline didn't get cracking on PPPs a long time ago. They've been in business 9 or 10 years now.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's a separate corporation, set up by the city.

I have always wondered why the Beltline didn't get cracking on PPPs a long time ago. They've been in business 9 or 10 years now.
Yes, its seems to be a woefully underutilized means to build new transit. I get the feeling that even the more conservative / suburban types will get behind this strategy.

And that master plan picture of O4W park. I really hope that Angier St extension will not be an active street crossing the Beltline trail at grade. That would really screw up part of the experience of the trail.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Yes, its seems to be a woefully underutilized means to build new transit. I get the feeling that even the more conservative / suburban types will get behind this strategy.
Governments are tapped out for infrastructure projects. PPPs are really the only way to go.

I remember meeting with some PPP reps back in 2002 and their consortium (two US and one international firm) was ready to rock within a few months. They are much more nimble and can operate on accelerated schedules.

Has anybody asked the Chinese to do this? They are rolling in capital and gobble up this kind of small rail project like popcorn shrimp. They'd probably have trains rolling by the end of next year.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
“For the first time, there’s a plan to complete all the elements of the plan by 2030,” said Paul Morris, CEO of Atlanta BeltLine Inc.

The strategic plan estimates it will cost $926 million to complete all the projects outlined during the next five years. In all, the entire project is estimated to cost about $4.4 billion.
Atlanta BeltLine outlines its future 17 years - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: