Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 AM

306 posts, read 657,343 times

Advertisements

I want to hear from all the Southern California transplants living in the Atlanta area. Specify how long you have been living there, what made you move, do you currently like living here? What do you miss most about SoCal and overall do you regret moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 08:15 PM

341 posts, read 708,640 times
I live in the Atlanta burbs and moved from Los Angeles in the mid to late 2000's. I didn't like living here much initially but have gotten used to it some. I regret the move less as the years go by. Moved here because of the high high higher cost of housing in La. What I miss most about soca is the freedom, progressive live and let live mentality or lifestyle. Nowadays i do like living where I do now and have made adjustments and in general have gotten used to life here and continue to do so.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:14 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Lived in ATL for 5 years from 2007-2011, from LA and live here now. I love ATL, it has a very kind soul to it and is a very comfortable place to live. I also love LA and want to continue living here. That being said, At first I missed LA badly and couldn't wait to go back, after awhile, like anyplace you get used to your environment and forget about what you missed about a certain place. I got really comfortable in ATL and would move back if there was a time & place for it. LA & ATL are very different and I appreciate both for what they can provide. However there is no doubt that LA offers more in terms of everything. ATL def has A lot, but I did notice when I went back is how chain oriented the city is and that it is actually easier to walk around LA than it is to walk around ATL. I also missed the variety of ethnic cuisine, hiking and beach going that I had in LA. I really do love ATL though and it will always be a great city for me.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:28 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
The biggest difference is the divorce laws between each state.

Ga isn't a community property state. We do not have to worry about paying our spouse lifetime alimony if we divorce after 10 years. Before that 10 year mark for every year you are married you are required to pay 6 months of alimony in CA. I would never get married in CA and it would be no way in hell I would have a stay at home wife because the person making more money will be financially raped

I would hate to have to live with that dark cloud over my head after the 10 year mark

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 12-15-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,262 times
I moved my teens and I to ATL from San Diego in February of this year. I moved for a job. It has been a rough transition for us for many reasons, but there are both good and bad points to ATL (like everywhere, I suppose). The upside is people are very kind here. The downside is people are very kind here. It's challenging to get anything done because people want to chat... endlessly. I also notice that contractors/service people seem to be more lax and laid back about showing up on time. When we first moved here, every single one of the contractors I hired showed up at my home no less than 30 minutes late. Every time. We call it "Georgia time". Most importantly, if you're considering moving here, be prepared for traffic like you have never experienced before. Yes, even in LA. Make sure you live near where you work... seriously. I think we made a bit of a mistake moving to the community we did... we are in a northern suburb (Cumming). Cumming is too far away from anything and has no charm whatsoever. Don't even get me started on the schools in Cumming either. That's a whole other story I'm happy to speak with you about privately if you have kids. There are some awesome small towns with lots of character in ATL though, and you can't beat the Fall season here. Feel feel free to message me for more info and good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: