Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:56 AM

12 posts, read 14,590 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my husband and I are looking to move into Atlanta proper. I've been looking at everything and I think I am on information overload. Unfortunately, everyone I know lives either in the suburbs, or other states (we've moved around a bit). I'd love some advice from ppl who actually LIVE in the city! Especially anyone with kids!
1. Our budget? we'd love to stay under the $150,000 range. We have one child and he's bloody expensive. :-)
2. House/Condo/Townhome? we'd prefer lofts, the converted kind, not the freshly built, cookie cutter pretenders (part of the reason we are leaving the suburbs). A condo in an office conversion would be nice as well. Non-street parking would be ideal.
3. Employment Status. My husband works just south of the city, so ease of access to the interstates would be awesome
4. Children: we have one child, however he is homeschooled (no we are not crazy ppl, online schooling just offers more choices!)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: I hate the suburbs. We'd love something with a high walkability score, lots of parks, access to museums and whatnot
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? VERY important. I know it's crazy but we have one car (such an issue in the suburbs) and I don't want to get another. So no more than 3-4 blocks to the train station (unless it's near the new streetcar!)
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. hmmmm. We've lived in transitional neighborhoods before, and I actually think it's cool to watch the neighborhood change. Somewhere creative but not snooty, and while we love an ethnically diverse area, we don't want to live in a "look white ppl" area. Been there, done that.

From those that live in the city, what are the biggest downfalls do you think? We get looks of mild horror when I tell ppl we want to move into the city with a child. Anyone done that? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 06:45 AM

298 posts, read 373,696 times
There are other people on this forum that can probably help you out a lot more, but from the sound of what you're saying The Healey Building in Downtown's Fairlie-Poplar district might be worth checking into.

Here is the website: The Healey Building | Condominiums in Downtown Atlanta

They have a link to units for sale / rent. Currently they have a handful of units, but none of the 2 bedrooms are in your price range it seems. $150,000 for a 2 bedroom (I'm assuming 2 bedroom, one for you and husband and one for your child) in the city might be pretty tough. It's not a loft, but it fits all your other criteria.

There are a lot of authentic lofts in the Castleberry Hill ( Castleberry Hill | Atlanta's Historic Creative District ) neighborhood of Atlanta, but that area doesn't fit a lot of your other criteria. There is not any access to MARTA, it can be a bit sketchy, no easy access to large parks, and outside of a few restaurants not a lot going on there.

The Stacks Lofts ( Atlanta Loft Condos - Loft Condominiums Now Selling - The Stacks ) in Cabbagetown might be something to look into. Just outside your price range, but they qualify for FHA. They're not too far from MARTA and Cabbagetown has a lot of festivals, a few parks, and a street with a handful of restaurants / bars.

Honestly, I would just Google "lofts atlanta" as there are a handful of real estate companies that specialize in that specific market if that's what you're really wanting. Right now, there isn't a lot of ownership opportunities for $150,000ish and authentic lofts aren't plentiful here, so you're further narrowing your search. I'm not saying you shouldn't get what you want, just saying there might not be a lot (or anything) on the market with your criteria right now.

Best of luck!

Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aselvarial View Post
Ok, so my husband and I are looking to move into Atlanta proper. I've been looking at everything and I think I am on information overload. Unfortunately, everyone I know lives either in the suburbs, or other states (we've moved around a bit). I'd love some advice from ppl who actually LIVE in the city! Especially anyone with kids!
I moved from the burbs into the city with a child and it was the best decision I ever made! I don't regret it one bit.

Quote:
1. Our budget? we'd love to stay under the $150,000 range. We have one child and he's bloody expensive. :-)
Yes, kids cost a lot of money lol. You might be able to find something in that price range in Midtown or Buckhead that is a foreclosure but you will be hard pressed, especially for anything more than a one-bedroom. Consider renting.

Quote:
2. House/Condo/Townhome? we'd prefer lofts, the converted kind, not the freshly built, cookie cutter pretenders (part of the reason we are leaving the suburbs). A condo in an office conversion would be nice as well. Non-street parking would be ideal.
Good luck finding that in your budget. Again, consider renting.

Quote:
3. Employment Status. My husband works just south of the city, so ease of access to the interstates would be awesome
Buckhead has better interstate access. But you can still get to 85/75 from Midtown.

Quote:
4. Children: we have one child, however he is homeschooled (no we are not crazy ppl, online schooling just offers more choices!)
If you move to Midtown/Virginia-Highland (specifically the Grady feeder district) or Buckhead you will have access to good schools if you decide to put him in public school. I liked the schools in the Grady feeder area much better.

Quote:
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: I hate the suburbs. We'd love something with a high walkability score, lots of parks, access to museums and whatnot
Then you may not like Buckhead as much. It's less walkable than Midtown (unless you stay right off Piedmont, Peachtree and Roswell roads) and has more of a suburban feel to it. I currently live in Buckhead and used to live in Virginia-Highland. Virginia-Highland was much better not just for me, but also my child, as we had better access there to Piedmont Park, the museums and neighborhood parks. We had more neighborhood parks in walking distance. There are also way more sidewalks there.

Quote:
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? VERY important. I know it's crazy but we have one car (such an issue in the suburbs) and I don't want to get another. So no more than 3-4 blocks to the train station (unless it's near the new streetcar!)
Then consider Buckhead near Lindberg, Buckhead and Lenox stations or Midtown near Arts Center (out of your budget) or Midtown stations. I highly recommend Virginia-Highland to anyone who wants to live in the city with kids, but it's not walking distance to trains. There are buses in the area that will get you to the train though.

Quote:
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. hmmmm. We've lived in transitional neighborhoods before, and I actually think it's cool to watch the neighborhood change. Somewhere creative but not snooty, and while we love an ethnically diverse area, we don't want to live in a "look white ppl" area. Been there, done that.
You will find a smattering of all kinds of people. Still the decent in town areas are mostly white and upper class or upper middle class. I am African-American. Though most of my daughter's friends (particularly her best, closest friends) are mostly white, she still has a diverse group of friends (black, white, Asian). My daughter has easily been the only black child at birthday parties most of the time since moving in town. But it doesn't bother us. Her white friends adore her and their parents are wonderful people who have always made us feel welcome in their homes.

Quote:
From those that live in the city, what are the biggest downfalls do you think? We get looks of mild horror when I tell ppl we want to move into the city with a child. Anyone done that? Thanks in advance!
For us there were no downfalls (but I came here from one of the big major cities and I prefer urban living). My daughter ended up in much better schools by us moving in town, we have better access to the things we want to do, and she has great friends. My only regret is that I spent too many years in the suburbs and should have moved in town much sooner for her education's sake.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
We live in the city in a highrise condo and have 1 kid with one on the way. When I read your post I immediately thought Midtown because of your reference to museums and Marta - many are located either in midtown or downtown plus walk scores are really high. When you mention lofts I thought of Peachtree Lofts on Peachtree, many buildings in Midtown are not lofts but there are some and this is one that may fit your price range. Do keep in mind with lofts that many may be a one bedroom but may be the size of a 2 bedroom, you may just need to add some more walls.

Another loft option might be 33 Ponce Loft Condos - The Most Exclusive Loft Condominium in Midtown Atlanta

Parts of Midtown will have excellent access to the interstate.

Send me a PM if you want.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:18 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
I think AtLJR gave great advice, and I second his suggestions. Because of your need for transit, your husbands commute south, and your budget, I think downtown or areas surrounding downtown are your best bet. I'm sure you could find a small loft in your price range downtown, especially in the 5 Points area since you aren't concerned about transitioning areas, and that will give you access to all trains and many busses. Maybe take a look at Kessler Lofts? Not sure of availability, but their location is great.

I would also look in areas of Edgewood Ave and Auburn Ave west of Boulevard - you can probably still find some deals on single family homes and condos there and within the next few months, have access to the streetcar. I also think its a great area for investment - in your budget now, and probably appreciating quickly when the streetcar starts service.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 AM

I love some of the buildings downtown but will add that there is a huge difference between downtown and midtown in the environment and access to things like grocery stores, especially important with a kid. Kessler City lofts deals with an amazing amount of drug dealers and the like, although having their live in police officer has helped - the point is its much more transitional and you will deal with a lot of those issues there and the schools will not be decent. Plus Midtown would give you better access to parks.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I love some of the buildings downtown but will add that there is a huge difference between downtown and midtown in the environment and access to things like grocery stores, especially important with a kid. Kessler City lofts deals with an amazing amount of drug dealers and the like, although having their live in police officer has helped - the point is its much more transitional and you will deal with a lot of those issues there and the schools will not be decent. Plus Midtown would give you better access to parks.
^^^This...

My boss said when she first moved to Atlanta she lived downtown and she said the crime and homeless people was too much for her and she couldn't walk down the street with her daughter without being approached by homeless and asked for money on a daily basis. She ended up moving to Ansley.

I also agree that it doesn't have easy access to parks or grocery stores. Midtown would be the OP's best bet.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
^^^This...

My boss said when she first moved to Atlanta she lived downtown and she said the crime and homeless people was too much for her and she couldn't walk down the street with her daughter without being approached by homeless and asked for money on a daily basis. She ended up moving to Ansley.

I also agree that it doesn't have easy access to parks or grocery stores. Midtown would be the OP's best bet.
I agree with what you said, but 150k in midtown? I can't see that happening.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I know. I already told the OP that's out of her budget to buy (or even rent for a loft). :-)

She may have to find an old apartment to rent if that's where she wants to live. Old with no amenities is what you will get if you want to live in Midtown on a budget.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM

A year ago, absolutely, now she has to look hard. People associate midtown with glass towers but there are many other condos and lofts. A quick search in 30308 shows three 2bd under $150k and many more under $200k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta