Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times

Advertisements

Using the state ranking isn't representative of everyone. Its mostly the rural schools that get bad rankings. And also test scores doesn't always represent how good a school system is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 06:10 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
A good chunk of it, especially on the standardized test scores, is we practically force everyone to take them whereas the northern states don't. Take a look at emcee squared's first two links, it shows a strong correlation between higher numbers of students taking the tests, and lower scores. Not everyone is bound for college and it's time to stop trying to force-fit everyone into a college-prep-based education.

Here's a graph I created using the data from the first link showing the correlation between percentage of participation and scores. Yes, there are outliers, but there is a general trend as you can see in the trendline, and Georgia's score sits right on the line. The boundaries of the graph are exactly the limits of the data so that's why it starts at 2%, and the score axis goes from 1351 to 1807.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...pse41585e3.jpg
Interesting graph. I would never have guessed there would be that much correlation between the percent taking and score. It is well known, however, that in the states where there is low participation, it is usually the brightest kids looking for the best colleges, who take the tests. Having people with no aspirations for college take college entrance exams makes little sense. Perhaps the lowest 10% of scores should be thrown out to correct for people answering 'C' for every question because they do not care.

On the other side of the spectrum (ACT), my old state of Minnesota must be quite the outlier. 74% took the test and it had the highest composite score of any state with more than 50% participation. Of the six states that beat Minnesota in overall score, Connecticut had the largest participation, with 27%.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:48 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Using the state ranking isn't representative of everyone. Its mostly the rural schools that get bad rankings. And also test scores doesn't always represent how good a school system is.
So what DOES determine how good a school system is, if not test scores? Tests are designed to evaluate a student's knowledge. Bad results across the board on testing would tend to indicate that something isn't right.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:06 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
A good chunk of it, especially on the standardized test scores, is we practically force everyone to take them whereas the northern states don't. Take a look at emcee squared's first two links, it shows a strong correlation between higher numbers of students taking the tests, and lower scores. Not everyone is bound for college and it's time to stop trying to force-fit everyone into a college-prep-based education.

Here's a graph I created using the data from the first link showing the correlation between percentage of participation and scores. Yes, there are outliers, but there is a general trend as you can see in the trendline, and Georgia's score sits right on the line. The boundaries of the graph are exactly the limits of the data so that's why it starts at 2%, and the score axis goes from 1351 to 1807.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...pse41585e3.jpg
Thanks, Matt.

Georgia should be lauded, not criticized, for honestly evaluating all of its students instead of just cherry picking the top ones and pretending they are typical.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
So what DOES determine how good a school system is, if not test scores? Tests are designed to evaluate a student's knowledge. Bad results across the board on testing would tend to indicate that something isn't right.
Standardized test scores only measure a narrow bandwidth of human intelligence.

There's a whole lot more to it than that. Determination, creativity, musical and artistic talent, compassion, ingenuity, vision, entrepreneurial skill, you name it. I know many outstanding and incredibly successful people who had only middling test scores. And plenty of others who had good test scores but didn't amount to much.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:40 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Standardized test scores only measure a narrow bandwidth of human intelligence.

There's a whole lot more to it than that. Determination, creativity, musical and artistic talent, compassion, ingenuity, vision, entrepreneurial skill, you name it. I know many outstanding and incredibly successful people who had only middling test scores. And plenty of others who had good test scores but didn't amount to much.
It's not so much a measure of how effective the person is, but how effective the schools are. Yes, there are people like that, but how common are they? Or better yet, how do you actually test for that?

Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Because people make a lot of excuses and like to blame things on race or income demographics here in GA.

FWIW, I don't think GA is all that bad anymore either. Last I read, GA was steadily rising in rank on a national level on many factors and I do feel this has more to do with initiating the common core standards and trying to equalize the quality of education here in GA.

I do think the state takes education seriously but the populace in general do the things I mention above - make a lot of excuses and blame things like race and income demographics instead of just setting specific standards for everyone and providing adequate teachers (I would like to see an apprenticeship along with advanced education required for all teachers and a boost in pay to make the career more prestigious), mandatory 85% passing rate on unit lessons in math, science, reading, and writing; and a mandatory tutoring program provided by teachers or teacher apprentices on Saturdays and evenings for kids who are behind. I would also lengthen the school year or break it up so that not so much brain drain occurs in the summer, similar to the calendar at Centennial Place Elementary.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:49 PM

55 posts, read 103,805 times
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
We have a large trailer park and ghetto population. It is what it is.

Also does Georgia's 70% minimum for a passing grade hurt us? Up north they generally use 60%.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
#45 on the SAT
#33 on the ACT
#45 HS graduation rate

Commonwealth Foundation - SAT Scores by State 2013
2012 ACT National and State Scores | Average Scores by State | ACT
http://www.americashealthrankings.org/all/graduation

I do understand there are many factors that go into these poor numbers.

I thought Georgia's low ranking was based on the standardized test scores for reading and math, not college entrance exams. Aside from fear over low No Child Left Behind ratings, that would go a long way towards explaining why there was such a hullabaloo about cheating on standardized tests a few years back.

When I was in school, we had the Criterion Reference Test, California Achievement Test, and Alabama Competency Test administered during various grades. I think it was 3rd, 5th, and 8th grades, but it's been a long time so I don't really recall the specifics.

Here are a couple of descriptions of the type of testing I'm talking about:
States With Smartest Kids, From Massachusetts to Mississippi - The Daily Beast
How Do Children In Your State Test? - TIME

This is a list that ranks Georgia 39th for that type of testing:
America's Smartest Kids - The Daily Beast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta